Thailand closes borders to foreigners

Jonathan Fairfield

2 hours ago, stuandjulie said:

Just don't get it do you? Anyone can catch this, it is not about YOU, if you have it you will give it to others who may not be as well equipped to survive it. If you are fit with good immune systems then that improves your chances of surviving, doesn't stop people being selfish gits though, I will now take my high horse and superior immune system into Self Isolation.

The quote I responded to of your's was "Not a matter of how well you can cycle, your immune system is not as strong"  Why do you not get it yourself?  I know that anyone can catch this, I was referring to genetics and the immune system being different for many people based upon age and the way they have cared for themselves. You unnecessarily slammed a gentleman who says he is in great shape and is an avid bicycle rider who is in better shape then some 40 year olds.  His only issue was asking why the age of 70 was a listed requisite to staying home, and not being able to go and work out but someone younger could.  An Olympic gold medal swimmer who just retired from the sport in 2018, and is also in great shape has this virus and is suffering greatly.  It could hit anyone of us at any age so telling someone that they are at a greater risk than someone younger may not be the truth.....Now do you get it.....I never said this was about me, so get real and isolate yourself away from everyone who may be a subject to catching your poor thinking and twisted way of thinking.  Stop lumping older people into a category that is not necessarily more prone to catching a virus......that was the point I was making.  I do not believe the gentleman is a selfish git, as you put it.  Please try to look at things in a larger perspective and stop believing that your life is in danger because someone exercises on a bicycle.  I run every morning in Lumpini Park with hundreds of others, so in your view we are being selfish.....

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Confused 1

On 3/25/2020 at 10:51 AM, Assurancetourix said:

what you believe!
I don't smoke and I don't drink alcohol.
I live in the countryside in the middle of rice fields and heveas plantations.
My lung and heart capacities are in excellent condition, according to the last encephalogram and the radio of my lungs made a fortnight ago at the public hospital in Udon Thani.
I am not diabetic or fat, which my bike appreciates, moreover
When I climb Phupalek, 4.8 km at 10% average, I arrive at the top with pulsations at 115/120, so very below my maximum allowed which is, I remind you: 220 minus my age (71 ) = 149

You are trying to live forever ?

I think this will end up looking like a major overreaction.  It doesn't seem to be spreading nearly as fast in hot and humid countries.  Of course it's better to overreact now than when it's too late, like what has happened in the US which is a day away from surpassing China and Italy in total cases.

Edited by shdmn

17 hours ago, Polaky said:

Yes I believe this to be true, planes coming in empty and taking passengers out at an inflated price is always an option, i can see flights mainly from europe and russia which are still coming in and going out, but not Au.

Last QANTAS flight to Sydney was Tuesday. Me and the wife were on it.

Now enjoying 14 days isolation.

16 hours ago, epicking said:

This doesnt make sense. Yesterday I recieved a text from the Foreign Ministry of Denmark saying that from March 26 to March 31, Thailand would not require Corona Tests presented, but a "Fit to fly" document should be signed by the Doctor.

The Danish Foreign Ministry does not set Thai immigration policy. The situation is fluid and their information is out of date.

16 hours ago, cheeryble said:

MUST stay home?

I don't think so it's a recommendation.

It also looks to me like there's no curfew, and plane travel......though not recommended ......is OK.

I'm hoping to make a return flight to BKK from CM this weekend only staying in BKK a couple of hours not even leaving DMK. I don't see anything to stop me.

Im 71 also and although I have moderate Parkinson's i don't see that "weakens" my resistance.

Anyone disagree?

(naturally I will mask up etc)

Why would anyone fly to an airport, not leave an airport, then fly back to where they came from? Why take the risk of travelling for no good, apparent reason?

14 hours ago, alyx said:

Quite a confusing reply: The first part is aimed at people investing...financially. Do you really think that willing to risk one's earning, and everything else,  in order to spend one's life with the loved ones makes them idiots? I have, I would and I will do it over and over again...but I am a romantic

The second part: although your definition of this visa is wrong, you do confirm that there is not any available adapted visa for people who genuinely get married. 

Marriage is. nowadays opposite to its initial purpose, to unite two persons in love and legally staying together.

There is a mechanism available. Permanent residency or citizenship. Your choice.

6 minutes ago, scorpiotkh said:

Is travel outside thailand stilled allow? as in flying?

There are still flights available to leave, but it will probably be months before you can return unless you meet the Decree listed types of people they will allow back in, Thai Nationals, Diplomats, as well as Pilots and people who have a valid Work Permit.  Still more than likely that if you are a pilot, diplomat or a WP holder you must have a valid medical certificate showing a Negative Covid-19 test and the commensurate 100,000 USD HI policy, but that may not be true, they have not stated differently.

4 hours ago, emptypockets said:

There is a mechanism available. Permanent residency or citizenship. Your choice.

There is no choice as those options are not available to most due to the requirements to qualify.  The non immigrant visa and extensions of same is the only option for most.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, jimmjam said:

It should do like in other countries. These immigratiom rules havent been changed since they implimented them many many years ago.

In most western countries a marriage doesn't give you the right to stay in that country by default. 

On 3/25/2020 at 7:19 PM, young Farrang said:

So i get it, you all hate people like me, however I am on a long term tourist visa for the past 6 years living off savings

What do I do? I got 20 days left on my tourist visa and usually stay for 4*60 days (240 days a year in thailand (30 days + 30 days extention) + 120 days in vietnam.

now when both countries are closing their borders for foreigners and I have no other home country, where can I go? My passport is swedish but I have no family/place to return to.

I guess i just stay put and pay massive overstay fees and get banned from re-entry when this all blows over?

All that time and you spell "farrang". 

You seem to have been fortunate in spending so much time here on visa exempts and extensions, many people do not experience this. 

Thailand laws are unfair to young travellers but their country their laws. The "massive" overstay charge tops out at 20,000 baht. 

Neither your personal circumstances or the virus are Thailand`s fault, your options are limited and unfortunate but only you know what is best for you. 

Self-pitying rants will not help, and by the way visa exempt and extension are not "a long term tourist visa". 

1 minute ago, rott said:

All that time and you spell "farrang". 

You seem to have been fortunate in spending so much time here on visa exempts and extensions, many people do not experience this. 

Thailand laws are unfair to young travellers but their country their laws. The "massive" overstay charge tops out at 20,000 baht. 

Neither your personal circumstances or the virus are Thailand`s fault, your options are limited and unfortunate but only you know what is best for you. 

Self-pitying rants will not help, and by the way visa exempt and extension are not "a long term tourist visa". 

Maybe if he pays taxes to Thailand on his Professional Poker winnings, and then pays into SS after self incorporating himself as a business, hiring a few Thais to work for him, then after a few years he can try for PR and then well, the sky's the limit.....but then Pigs would need to fly, hell to freeze over, and for him to be stamped with the number of the beast.  He could also invest a few million of his winnings and get himself an investment Visa for being a owner, but what do I know.  Good luck to you young man.......

On 3/26/2020 at 10:45 AM, Burma Bill said:

Just as bad as sitting in an ex-pat bar with all the cigarette smoke wafting around!

You don't seen too much of an expert on ex-pat bars Bill. Most are closed, many have smoking and non-smoking areas, many are open air, many do not permit smoking. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

In most western countries a marriage doesn't give you the right to stay in that country by default. 

Can someone not get perminent residence if married to someone from the u.s and u.k and not make constant border runs or report to immigration every 90 days?

Can someone not get a visit visa and stay for 6 months with out going to see immigration every 90 days, with out having to pay  everytime they want to extend.

Given the money is alot higher needed for this. They point is the immigration laws here are redundant. Id rather apply for my visa , get it granted and stay without ever going to immigration in the time im here.

Even doing a 90 day report is hit and miss online sometimes.

10 minutes ago, jimmjam said:

Can someone not get perminent residence if married to someone from the u.s and u.k and not make constant border runs or report to immigration every 90 days?

Can someone not get a visit visa and stay for 6 months with out going to see immigration every 90 days, with out having to pay  everytime they want to extend.

Given the money is alot higher needed for this. They point is the immigration laws here are redundant. Id rather apply for my visa , get it granted and stay without ever going to immigration in the time im here.

Even doing a 90 day report is hit and miss online sometimes.

The answer is no to both of your questions.

On 3/25/2020 at 6:42 PM, Misterwhisper said:

The implications are painfully clear here. Foreigners who have been biding their time in Thailand living on visa runs every 3 months and who never got themselves a proper work permit will be able to leave the country next time their visa is up,  but not be able to return. And since the borders are now closed, I assume that Thai embassies and consulates anywhere also will no longer issue new visas if an applicant cannot present convincing documentation why their travel to Thailand is necessary.

The next few weeks will see a sharp decline in foreign resident numbers, primarily people who have abused the system, often enough for years on end. 

So now all just overstay and party????????

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

There are still flights available to leave, but it will probably be months before you can return unless you meet the Decree listed types of people they will allow back in, Thai Nationals, Diplomats, as well as Pilots and people who have a valid Work Permit.  Still more than likely that if you are a pilot, diplomat or a WP holder you must have a valid medical certificate showing a Negative Covid-19 test and the commensurate 100,000 USD HI policy, but that may not be true, they have not stated differently.

Or just overstay like everyone else and party???????? We can pay the fine ($500) later

Given that one can obtain a health check. .. "Good to fly - Virus free" by a government clinic or reputable private clinic, and if the holder went into a 2-week quarantine upon arrival, I see no benefit to the country by locking him/her out. 

In fact it would help enormously, say if some struggling hotels could become designated as quarantine  residences, earning the normal tariff instead of sitting empty, forcing them to lay off staff. I would be willing to do that.

Actually, I am stranded in the Philippines because my flight back to Bangkok was cancelled just as the airports went into lockdown. I missed it by a day. So I am camped in a small room in a hide-away urban village on the outskirts of Cebu City. It is far away from crowds, and no foreigner could find with the help of a local. My village in a rice and maize district in Nakhon Sawan province is also off the beaten track, farang-free except for me and two others in the entire district. 

Frankly, I don't think a lot of thought has gone into the restrictions, or at least not quite as much as there could be. However, most importantly, I hope it all works.

I sure do miss my place in Thailand, and cycling through the landscape. 

Good luck to you all. Stay safe.

Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 13.34.06.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 12.12.14.png

DSC_7495.jpg

Edited by TechnikaIII
corrections - vocabulary and grammar
  • Like 1

On 3/26/2020 at 1:42 PM, ThailandRyan said:

The quote I responded to of your's was "Not a matter of how well you can cycle, your immune system is not as strong"  Why do you not get it yourself?  I know that anyone can catch this, I was referring to genetics and the immune system being different for many people based upon age and the way they have cared for themselves. You unnecessarily slammed a gentleman who says he is in great shape and is an avid bicycle rider who is in better shape then some 40 year olds.  His only issue was asking why the age of 70 was a listed requisite to staying home, and not being able to go and work out but someone younger could.  An Olympic gold medal swimmer who just retired from the sport in 2018, and is also in great shape has this virus and is suffering greatly.  It could hit anyone of us at any age so telling someone that they are at a greater risk than someone younger may not be the truth.....Now do you get it.....I never said this was about me, so get real and isolate yourself away from everyone who may be a subject to catching your poor thinking and twisted way of thinking.  Stop lumping older people into a category that is not necessarily more prone to catching a virus......that was the point I was making.  I do not believe the gentleman is a selfish git, as you put it.  Please try to look at things in a larger perspective and stop believing that your life is in danger because someone exercises on a bicycle.  I run every morning in Lumpini Park with hundreds of others, so in your view we are being selfish.....

Yes you are, when you understand social isolation is not for your safety it is for others perhaps it will sink in. And just because others are running around a park does not mean it is ok. Why do you think they are now talking about Curfews and closing beaches ?

Edited by stuandjulie

On 3/26/2020 at 11:24 AM, Max69xl said:

Why do you think you have the right to feel cheated?

I paid 3800 THB for a multiple entry permit in January to be used with my 1 year marriage visa. 

It's now declared if you leave Thailand and attempt to come back you need a workpermit which I don't have. 

There's no contingency to have a work-permit issued as one pays for a multiple entry permit. I paid 3800 thb for a permit that cant be used.

Do I have the right to feel cheated or as I'm not special, I too need to bleed quietly and whisper 'thank you' while getting ass fukd while my own European country hands out permanent residence permits like it was confetti at a wedding?

Edited by WhereIsMyRyeBread
  • Like 1

On 3/26/2020 at 8:49 PM, Slip said:

For information.  Apologies if it has been posted previously:

image.png.6cb32a3a8a841c526654401ff433fbda.png

https://www.caat.or.th/en/archives/48998

Does anyone know of any official document that states permanent residents are allowed to return to Thailand? I have only seen notice from Thailand Elite, which is not consistent with above CAAT notice and may not be acceptable. I am a PR and want to return to Thailand as soon as a flight is available, which is currently not for about 3 weeks.

12 hours ago, stuandjulie said:

Yes you are, when you understand social isolation is not for your safety it is for others perhaps it will sink in. And just because others are running around a park does not mean it is ok. Why do you think they are now talking about Curfews and closing beaches ?

You can social distance while running, you can social distance while biking, you can try and stay healthy instead of crawling into a hole and pulling the dirt over the top of you.  Yes we can, and anyone can catch this virus, but hiding will not stop the fact that you always need to be safe in what you do.  I wish you good luck since it appears by your words that you have chosen to hide from the world in order to wait out your view of what is an apocalypse instead of continuing to live life, social distancing from others but remaining positive instead of in a depressed state and being a chicken little.  Have an enjoyable time. Photos from my run this morning, everyone keeping their distance

20200324_081900.jpg

20200326_075440.jpg

20200328_081325.jpg

20200328_081500.jpg

20200326_081134.jpg

20200320_080209[9202].jpg

20200320_075831[9200].jpg

Edited by ThailandRyan

The closing of borders seems to have been relaxed or not enforced (the expected norm here) as in the last few days planes are to and froing throughout the day in Chiang Mai. I live on a Mooban near to the flight path and early days were quiet - not now.