Considering staying put, any cv19 Insurance leads?

GA19

Against all better judgement re returning to Aus (for however long that's possible either end, noting on the Scoot website a resumption of departures from April 6 or so), I'd feel a lot better if I could find a little insurance for this cv19. I don't have a base there at present but do have medical coverage at least.

I've looked high and low in the kingdom, only having planned on being here 15 days in Jan/Feb, but now unable to get back to the CN capital for resumption of work. With wife in north central a bit, on a 90 day through until mid May. 

Anyone else been able to source a little insurance for peace of mind at least? I know many only offer 100k thb for cv19 treatment, still,  it's better than nothing. Seems you must be here for 6 months or hold a work permit to qualify.   Regards and take care

Edited by GA19

I'm staying put as well...cancelling all travel for 2020 except for some emergency. I feel sorry for all those who need visa extensions. I extended my retirement visa which due in mid March 2019), in early February.

I see these queues at immigration now to extend tourist visas as there are no flights, then yesterday I read that you get charged for overstay at the airport anyway (500baht a day). Why bother getting your visa extended, just pay the overstay fine...and you save yourself 1900 baht to put towards it.

• Thanks 1

I would hope that if you're trapped away from home, your travel insurance would automatically extend as long as, when you began your trip, there were no advisories against it. Obviously you will have to check with the insurer - Good Luck ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, VBF said:

I would hope that if you're trapped away from home, your travel insurance would automatically extend as long as, when you began your trip, there were no advisories against it. Obviously you will have to check with the insurer - Good Luck ????

my thats helpful, but why not just answer the question with a no, i do not have the information you seek, or better yet remain silent and answer nothing at all?

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

My Thai lady says numerous banks were offering corona insurance for premiums from 250 - 950 Bht that paid for various things ( testing. treatment and/or lump sum pmt when diagnosed ). Govt has said testing and treatment will be free at govt hospitals. Google corona insurance Thailand and check some of them out.

2 hours ago, natway09 said:

I think your travel insurance should cover it IF the policy is still current by then.

Sounds like you have not much option but to stay put.

Good Luck

OP need to check the fine print, a lot of TI don't cover epidemics and pandemics. Mine doesn't.

On the bright side in another thread it was mentioned that the cost of ICU bed varies between 6-30k per day, that's 300-500k max damage, which is not that bad.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, rucker4012 said:

My Thai lady says numerous banks were offering corona insurance for premiums from 250 - 950 Bht that paid for various things ( testing. treatment and/or lump sum pmt when diagnosed ). Govt has said testing and treatment will be free at govt hospitals. Google corona insurance Thailand and check some of them out.

You have a link?  I saw nothing about free coverage at gov hospitals when I googled.

Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pedrogaz said:

I'm staying put as well...cancelling all travel for 2020 except for some emergency. I feel sorry for all those who need visa extensions. I extended my retirement visa which due in mid March 2019), in early February.

I see these queues at immigration now to extend tourist visas as there are no flights, then yesterday I read that you get charged for overstay at the airport anyway (500baht a day). Why bother getting your visa extended, just pay the overstay fine...and you save yourself 1900 baht to put towards it.

Does your above statement  even make any sense?  If you go to immigration and get an emergency 30 day extension due to the Coronavirus situation you have been given permision to stay and cannot be charged for overstay !

• Like 2

7 hours ago, natway09 said:

I think your travel insurance should cover it IF the policy is still current by then.

Sounds like you have not much option but to stay put.

Good Luck

Your travel insurance will cover if there is no warning not to travel to Thailand and of course it had to be taken out prior to your travel. At least this is what my travel insc. says.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GA19 said:

Anyone else been able to source a little insurance for peace of mind at least? I know many only offer 100k thb for cv19 treatment, still,  it's better than nothing. Seems you must be here for 6 months or hold a work permit to qualify.   Regards and take care

Calculating how much additional insurance should depend on how old you are, any underlying conditions, density of people where you live.

Not so much if you are under 40 and in great health, ifnover  over or underlying conditions like respiratory, high BP, diabeties, you will need more.  Calculate what may be needed for at least 2 weeks in private hospital with a respirator and then some if you are in a danger group.

12 hours ago, gearbox said:

OP need to check the fine print, a lot of TI don't cover epidemics and pandemics. Mine doesn't.

On the bright side in another thread it was mentioned that the cost of ICU bed varies between 6-30k per day, that's 300-500k max damage, which is not that bad.

a moot point really as unlikely to be beds available. Insurance won't help anyone in that case. An example of New York

Screenshot_20200328-033011_1.png

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

a moot point really as unlikely to be beds available. Insurance won't help anyone in that case. An example of New York

Pfft!  Some people try and prepare while others are ready to lay down and die.  Guess you have decided.

You'll die faster if you don't have high end insurance that'll pay for a private hospital.  If not, a public ward is where you'll end up amongst the thousands of others left to die.

Look at Germany vs Italy.  The Germans have premier medical care and their # deaths are remarkably low.  (And have you seen how fat the elderly are?)

In Italy, with poor to bad medical care, their rate of deaths have been 4%+.  Even though the Italian health & diet is better than the Germans.

I have just looked at the Roojai ad for COVID-19 medical insurance. The cover for medical treatment seems to be for 100,000 baht maximum for the year.

Serious question: How much time on a ventilator in ICU would that actually buy?

18 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

What do you think will happen if his flight for some reason gets cancelled and he didn't extend his stay 30 days for ฿1900? 4 days overstay is ฿2000, and who knows when he can leave the country? On top of that,have you seen the latest one way-ticket prices out of the country? A 30 days extension is never a bad idea unless you know for sure you can leave within a few days.

33 minutes ago, Phuketshrew said:

I have just looked at the Roojai ad for COVID-19 medical insurance. The cover for medical treatment seems to be for 100,000 baht maximum for the year.

14 days in hospital and you pay day by day if you want a private room + treatment and tests and meds etc etc. They will charge you for every single thing they do. With 100k you need a government hospital. That I assure you. Just because you get infected you might not need to stay in the ICU connected to a ventilator. But if it happens your 100k is gone in a flash. 

Edited by Max69xl

1 hour ago, Iron Tongue said:

Pfft!  Some people try and prepare while others are ready to lay down and die.  Guess you have decided.

You'll die faster if you don't have high end insurance that'll pay for a private hospital.  If not, a public ward is where you'll end up amongst the thousands of others left to die.

Look at Germany vs Italy.  The Germans have premier medical care and their # deaths are remarkably low.  (And have you seen how fat the elderly are?)

In Italy, with poor to bad medical care, their rate of deaths have been 4%+.  Even though the Italian health & diet is better than the Germans.

Apparently Italy has a very good health system, second best in the world, maybe Germany average age is lower, Italy average age is 80.

Good health insurance won't guarantee a ventilator but good luck

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Phuketshrew said:

There is another thread discussing the coronavirus treatment costs,  30000 baht per day seems to be the maximum for ICU room. That probably doesn't include doctors' fees.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Iron Tongue said:

Never compare Italy with Germany or any northern European country.

In Italy whole families stay together, a mix of elderly people,young people and kids. If one gets infected it's very likely the elderly gets it and die. This is not the case in northern Europe. Old people usually never stay with their kids. On top of that,they get pretty old in Italy,maybe because of good food,but they are still old. It's almost the same scenario in Spain.

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Apparently Italy has a very good health system, second best in the world, maybe Germany average age is lower, Italy average age is 80.

Good health insurance won't guarantee a ventilator but good luck

"Apparently Italy has a very good health system, second best in the world" 

Where did you read that? In MAD Magazine? 

15 minutes ago, gearbox said:

There is another thread discussing the coronavirus treatment costs,  30000 baht per day seems to be the maximum for ICU room. That probably doesn't include doctors' fees.

So I might get 3 days in ICU? Seems a bit pointless buying such insurance then?

43 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

"Apparently Italy has a very good health system, second best in the world" 

Where did you read that? In MAD Magazine? 

Experts on the radio, look it up, you'll find it if you search enough

Edited by scubascuba3

11 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

Do you believe German figures?

Top class medical care in Germany is for patients with PRIVATE insurance. Not for the average Joe on compulsory insurance. Stop dreaming. 

Btw, Northern Italy has top class healthcare. Way better than most German hospitals.

Edited by Letseng