extension coming ..

5 minutes ago, malboro said:

My visa ends on 3rd of april. Was just gonna go to extend my visa at chaeng watthana immigration. But I dont know, with my luck. If I extend it today; they will have a free extension for everyone tomorrow.

I would not bet on that ‘free extension’ any time soon.

• Like 2

Unfortunately your on the cusp.  Hard decision to make.  What was apparent at the moment of her saying to me, the explanation from her that they were "waiting on the word from above, everyone has the same problem, you are not alone" she then said I’d need 5 or 6 documents (otherwise.) I didn’t understand why she was telling me this and that was part of my 'ancillary questions' to the 2, man and woman immigration officers, and their continuing reply, "just wait, just wait." When that raised my eyebrows there was quick talk with my landlord and he repeated again to me, what she said about the word coming from high.  She also spoke some English.  It wasn’t until I got back to my place that I fully understood that they were really saving me angst and grief and extra work .. and maybe Baht.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

I would not bet on that ‘free extension’ any time soon.

There was no hesitation by either of the two of them.  They seemed quite assured that they knew what they were talking about and not surmising.

12 minutes ago, warvet1970 said:

There was no hesitation by either of the two of them.  They seemed quite assured that they knew what they were talking about and not surmising.

Until the decree is announced, it is pure speculation. Anyone concerned about their freedom should proceed with any steps necessary to avoid overstay and the IDC. Personally, I cannot imagine immigration tossing someone into the IDC for a few days of overstay at this point. But then again, they were happy to fine me 2,000 baht when I was two days late on my 90 day report in the middle of a 50 year flood that prevented me from accessing the Chaeng Wattana office.

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, malboro said:

My visa ends on 3rd of april. Was just gonna go to extend my visa at chaeng watthana immigration. But I dont know, with my luck. If I extend it today; they will have a free extension for everyone tomorrow.

Yeah, but pardon me for suggesting going onto overstay to maybe save 1900 baht, is more dumb than cheap!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, warvet1970 said:

Unfortunately your on the cusp.  Hard decision to make.  What was apparent at the moment of her saying to me, the explanation from her that they were "waiting on the word from above, everyone has the same problem, you are not alone" she then said I’d need 5 or 6 documents (otherwise.) I didn’t understand why she was telling me this and that was part of my 'ancillary questions' to the 2, man and woman immigration officers, and their continuing reply, "just wait, just wait." When that raised my eyebrows there was quick talk with my landlord and he repeated again to me, what she said about the word coming from high.  She also spoke some English.  It wasn’t until I got back to my place that I fully understood that they were really saving me angst and grief and extra work .. and maybe Baht.

Thanks for the blow by blow account. I just wanted to ask for the sake of IOs working at the moment, they are between a rock and hard place. So those who can wait, please do so. My extension runs out beginning of May. Normally I would make the hike to CW toward the end of March, ie last week. But considering that everything is in flux, I really beg those who still have some time please wait it out. You won't get infected that way if you are not, and you won't infect anyone else if you are. In the meantime, that also gives the authorities much needed time to sort things out. For the moment there are tangles of unnecessary and not-well-thought out measures awaiting those wanting to jump into the fray - and the pool of virus.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Would expect so.

I will wait to see how long the extension is for. Im due to extend for 60 days based on having thai kids on friday 3rd april. If its just a month. I will stick with my original plan

51 minutes ago, jimmjam said:

I arrived on the 4th of march visa exempt. Does that count?

Yes, the 4th March comes after the 1st of March. If immigration writes the police order according to what the cabinet decided, you will get an extension without a need to attend the immigration office.

8 minutes ago, samisaurus said:

What if i did my 1st visa extension on March 4th .... 

Does that mean I dont get the automatic extension? 

Yes, you arrived before March 1st, so you need a "special" extension which requires a visit to the immigration office.

15 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Yes, you arrived before March 1st, so you need a "special" extension which requires a visit to the immigration office.

Thank U, this announcement is ridiculous as barely anyone came in after March 1st and and everyone extending is from January - February 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I think we need to wait for a formal announcement for immigration as to what it actually is. The only thing I have seen came from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs that has nothing to with extensions of stay.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, samisaurus said:

Thank U, this announcement is ridiculous as barely anyone came in after March 1st and and everyone extending is from January - February 

They don't want to let go of the 1900 baht do they? 

How about an online (hmmm) or email application system or pay later when you finally get to leave? You pay any overstay at the airport and if you don't pay, they don't let you leave so they will get their stinking money.

31 minutes ago, samisaurus said:

Agree that Medical and governments are all stressing no unecessary contact , yet people are still required not only to queue at busy offices but to travel.

I'm sure most in Bangkok will be using taxis etc, also the hours away from home will mean buying lunch snacks handling cash visiting toilets/restrooms, take away food, touching stairs , handrail, doors etc.

Forgive the link from TAT intelligence (an oxymoron if I ever saw one) .Int Arrivals down 79% from last year, hardly surprising.

https://marketingdb.tat.or.th/en/web/guest/tatwebportallink

While arrivals have almost tapered to zero they are still over a third of million people in March at swampy and over a quarter of million at other hubs , some of whom will have been asymptomatic and those without long term visas will be queueing with the rest for extensions esp if they cannot leave overland the backpackers nor on their flights if cancelled.

Surely the very Thai solution will be no visit to Immigration,

Charge a steep fee say 5k Auto extendeveryone in country allowed until emergency lifted or an extendable date say  May or June 30 or July to be reviewed as needs

Im sure many will be delighted to pay a one off fee say 1900 baht , this coud easily be added to the airport departure tax.

I'm sure an even higher fee which could help Thai health service say 20000 until end of the year, there are apps that can deal with all and save lives.I'd sooner overstay than risk my health, issue is the black mark or ban?

I've little hope any such things will happen and I like 2 million others who entered this year will have to jostle at a border if opne, an airport or Immigration Office in due course.

The needs of natinal security argument valid since the muslim insurgency in deep south could be alleviated by requesting a daily TM30 online,In reality the Malay border is pervios to those who are local speak Malay and don't look different to a local.Other places also request a temp check can also be done via an app.

Measure to protect visitors who will have less anxiety and a more positive attitude to return, protect IOs and their families who must be a high risk group and the Hospitals wider public.

We'd all like a free visa free extension for life but not crossing my fingers on that.Instead of pay to play , pay to isolate seems an attractive deal that I'm sure agents will pick up on in major hubs like Bangkok Phuket, not much se to us up country in the sticks.

Despite the global pandemic plenty of air traffic and tickets for sale to some places , of course some are freight only.

Live tracking

https://www.flightradar24.com/

Cruise tracker

https://www.cruisin.me/cruise-ship-tracker/

Interestimg to see arrivals from IKorea, Russia, Qatar,India Nepal ,Bhutan,Vietnam, China, Ethiopia etc still allowed

https://www.bangkokairportonline.com/flight-status-arrivals-departures/

P.S. WHO lady I know in Loas said lock down hasn't filtered down to lottery and begging monks, time to polish my Jatukom

Edited by RubbaJohnny
  • Like 1

One of my Indian friend have 90 days tourist visa and is going to expire on 4th April 2020. Because of COVID-19 situation he is unable to fly back home. Now he got stucked and really don't know what he has to do. How about his visa extension? Should i ask him to go to Indian Embassy or Immigration office at Cheangwattana? Kindly advice me please.Thank you so much.

Edited by Yanki

10 minutes ago, Yanki said:

One of my Indian friend have 90 days tourist visa and is going to expire on 4th April 2020. Because of COVID-19 situation he is unable to fly back home. Now he got stucked and really don't know what he has to do. How about his visa extension? Should i ask him to go to Indian Embassy or Immigration office at Cheangwattana? Kindly advice me please.Thank you so much.

He should email the indian embassy and see if they will give him a letter so he can extend his stay.

• Thanks 1