Govt will impose 24-hour curfew if Covid-19 situation does not improve

webfact

i hope i'm wrong, but i think this 24-hour lock down will probably happen next week for two weeks.  i guess it's like a war going on "far away" and someone says, "dude, stay home....trust me. just, ahh.... trust me."

too bad we can't read all the books and watch all the movies about Wuhan ten-year from now.  i think very few people really know what's going on, and everyone else takes their word.

the Illuminati.

until we lose a loved one, or find ourselves in a hospital....i don't think we will ever get a clue what's happening to tens of millions.  like war.  

On 4/3/2020 at 3:15 PM, DaRoadrunner said:

Obviously another well thought out idea from the powers that be. You can't fix stupid. It would not surprise me if we end up with soldiers on the street with road blocks.

I'd be quite happy to see that. Better to enforce compliance, than allow the virus to run rampant through people's stupidity.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

15 hours ago, elektrified said:

Most Thai people we saw in Makro were buying much more than us. Many had two carts stacked!

The Thais who use Makro are mainly SME who go to stock up for their Mom and Pop shops, small and medium food stalls and restaurants and people like that the rural poor have little or no money and nowhere to store a bulk shop, let alone enough cash too buy it,

The nearest Makro to me is 65km away and I only use it for bulk shopping once a month and my wife uses it to get stuff for her noodle shop while the fresh markets are closed down.

If enough poor people got together (borrowing a Makro card) and had enough money between them they could go to Makro once a month and stock up on essentials for a week or so.

14 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

He has asked a perfectly reasonable question. We all know that banking happens 24/7 worldwide, but this is conducted online, so why would any banker in Thailand need to be wandering the streets between 10pm and 4am in order to facilitate online banking. You have dismissed a perfectly reasonable question rather than answer it 

If they run a shift system it might be 6am until 2pm, 2 until 10pm, and the graveyard shift of 10pm until 6am again. That would mean that only the second shift finishing at 10pm would be affected.

35 minutes ago, billd766 said:

The Thais who use Makro are mainly SME who go to stock up for their Mom and Pop shops, small and medium food stalls and restaurants and people like that the rural poor have little or no money and nowhere to store a bulk shop, let alone enough cash too buy it,

The nearest Makro to me is 65km away and I only use it for bulk shopping once a month and my wife uses it to get stuff for her noodle shop while the fresh markets are closed down.

If enough poor people got together (borrowing a Makro card) and had enough money between them they could go to Makro once a month and stock up on essentials for a week or so.

My brother in law used to have a Makro card as he had a roadside food stall but he doesn't anymore. My wife suggested going to Makro so I pointed out that we don't have access to a card anymore. 

The answer I got was something like. If you haven't got a card they have a card they can give you. So I said "So you can't go in without a card but if you haven't got a card they'll give you a card so you have got a card so you can go in?". Yes she said. 

Do Makro sell bulk packs of paracetamol?

Having said that Big C used to have a man in a box to give you a card as you drove in which he took back when you came out. I never saw the sense and presumably they came to the same conclusion as they don't now. I know of a hotel car park that does the same.

Edited by kimamey

2 minutes ago, kimamey said:

Having said that Big C used to have a man in a box to give you a card as you drove in which he took back when you came out. I never saw the sense and presumably they came to the same conclusion as they don't now. I know of a hotel car park that does the same.

I would think that has to do with maximum parking time (free) for going to Big C.  If you park 8 hours while walking somewhere else to work... they might not be so accommodating...

44 minutes ago, billd766 said:

If they run a shift system it might be 6am until 2pm, 2 until 10pm, and the graveyard shift of 10pm until 6am again. That would mean that only the second shift finishing at 10pm would be affected.

I don't think 'graveyard shift' is the best choice of words in the current situation but I get your point. 

Edited by kimamey
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

I would think that has to do with maximum parking time (free) for going to Big C.  If you park 8 hours while walking somewhere else to work... they might not be so accommodating...

Yes maybe but I never saw them check the card although they did have cameras. The guy just held the cards in his hand as you passed it over.  I think it's as much to do with having a new bit of kit which they get fed up with. 

I went with my wife to a small factory as part of her work. We went in a Toyota Commuter van with a few others. They guy at the gate had a mirror on a stick which he used to check the underside of the van but never bothered looking inside. Then you get the metal detectors in malls. They beep because you haven't emptied your pockets as you would in an airport but they just watch you go through. I just hope they're a bit more careful doing checks for the virus. I'm happy if  they do that. 

On 4/3/2020 at 1:23 AM, Kadilo said:

I would hazard a guess and say it will continue to rise let’s say maybe between 100-120/day for the foreseeable future so prepare yourself folks. 

They lack the facilities to do a lot of testing. There will be around that many positives daily until they get more labs online to process the tests. There are thousands of tests back logged now.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2020 at 2:08 PM, spidermike007 said:

There is a very high chance this will improve within a week or two, presuming heat has the effect on the virus that many researchers are saying it does. Personally I believe it. Less than 100 cases in the past 24 hours. It will flatten out shortly. No need for panic, and no need for draconian measures. The economic shutdown was inane enough, without a 24 hour curfew. 

If the curfew does go into effect, and millions of us defy it, it will result in alot of disorder. 

i think you might get a surprise, not necessarily good one, this coming friday.

• Confused 1

Just the suggestion of a 24 hour curfew will increase the spread - people need to stock up on essentials, supermarkets now have reduced hours, social distancing must be reduced, more cases.

Everything the government has done so far has made it worse.

7 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Each day here the cases are leveling off or dropping. Just watch. So much panic over so little. 

Think you're on a wind up...

Around the world doctors and nurses are dying via attending their virus patients, and you say panicking over nothing....????

1 hour ago, transam said:

Think you're on a wind up...

Around the world doctors and nurses are dying via attending their virus patients, and you say panicking over nothing....????

No. You misinterpreted what I said. I said the heat is an ally. Few nations have that advantage. I said it is barely a blip here so far. Few tropical nations are seeing the kind of numbers we are seeing in cooler climates. 

We believe what we choose to believe. I am not buying into the panic and apocalypse scenarios. 

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

No. You misinterpreted what I said. I said the heat is an ally. Few nations have that advantage. I said it is barely a blip here so far. Few tropical nations are seeing the kind of numbers we are seeing in cooler climates. 

We believe what we choose to believe. I am not buying into the panic and apocalypse scenarios. 

The 1918/9 flu killed an estimated 50,000,000 folk worldwide because they never had today's knowledge, drugs or apparatus to deal with that stuff. We are now trying to not have that sort of thing happen again...

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Each day here the cases are leveling off or dropping. Just watch. So much panic over so little. 

Do you have any evidence of your preposterous claim ?

And how does your alleged leveling off, or dropping, correlate to the number of tests for the virus being carried out. Can you in any way substantiate your claim that cases of the virus are receding in Thailand ??  

• Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 3:15 PM, DaRoadrunner said:

Obviously another well thought out idea from the powers that be. You can't fix stupid. It would not surprise me if we end up with soldiers on the street with road blocks.

It will surprise me if we don't

The Hospitals are being told to write everything off as a Covit 19 death. So, to make the numbers look bigger.  The reason they can get so many "new" covit 19 infections, is because "the test" only looks for coronavirus, not Covit 19. Most of us have coronavirus in our system, because it is a common cold or flu. Most of us have over 200 viruses in our system. These are like little soldiers who fight for us, to keep us healthy  I worked in the medical field for 20 yrs, and had the Hep B "put" in my system to help innoculate me against a possible serious attack. The things happening now are a smoke screen to a bigger agenda. But, I won't go into that...it seems most on here 

enjoy the smoke screen.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, papao123 said:

''It will disappear like a miracle'' Someone said. 

Well, there is a big difference between the 335 new cases in Thailand, and 9 new deaths in the past 4 days, and approximately 124,000 new cases and 5600 new deaths in the US. I double down on my assertion that the virus appears to be leveling off here. Just look at the numbers. And for those of you who are skeptical of the numbers keep in mind that they stayed at 100-200 total cases for weeks, before they started ticking up. So, there does appear to be some accounting of the caseloads. Just as in the US, the testing is still limited. But, my assertion of the positive effects of the heat remain in place. 

Research from a laboratory-grown copy of the coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) that causes the COVID-19 illness shows that heat affects the virus and impacts its behavior, a top pathologist said new research has shown. But other infectious disease experts aren't yet convinced. “In cold environments, there is longer virus survival than warm ones,” Hong Kong University pathology professor John Nicholls told AccuWeather exclusively. “Temperature could significantly change COVID-19 transmission,” the authors note in the study. They also pointed out that the “virus is highly sensitive to high temperature.” 

https://www.accuweather.com/en/health-wellness/higher-temperatures-affect-survival-of-new-coronavirus-pathologist-says/700800

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

But, my assertion of the positive effects of the heat remain in place. 

I hope you're right.... But the article you referenced seems to have one observation that it's sunlight, not heat, that's killing the virus. And, of course, summer's longer days provide the sunlight.

Thus, if sunlight is the panacea, the rainy season doesn't bode well.

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

I hope you're right.... But the article you referenced seems to have one observation that it's sunlight, not heat, that's killing the virus. And, of course, summer's longer days provide the sunlight.

Thus, if sunlight is the panacea, the rainy season doesn't bode well.

You are getting ahead of yourself here. First of all, Thailand appears to be drier and drier each year. And hotter and hotter. And even during the rainy season we get enough sunshine to kick the pants off this virus. Corona is gone baby gone from Thailand. Fading every hour of every day, at this point. At least I hope!

Edited by spidermike007

On 4/4/2020 at 8:09 PM, Eloquent pilgrim said:

I have read several of your comments, and you really don't seem to understand anything whatsoever about Thailand do you. Most Thai people do not shop in Makro. The Thai people that shop there are either restaurant owners, or women married to foreign men. You should try and have a proper look at the Thai way of life, instead of cocooning yourself in your 'foreign economy' mentality.

LOL get a life. Most Thai people do shop in Makro.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2020 at 9:03 PM, Eloquent pilgrim said:

He has asked a perfectly reasonable question. We all know that banking happens 24/7 worldwide, but this is conducted online, so why would any banker in Thailand need to be wandering the streets between 10pm and 4am in order to facilitate online banking. You have dismissed a perfectly reasonable question rather than answer it 

There are numerous jobs in the banking sector that are 24-hour. International banking, credit card processing, customer support. and many others.

On 4/10/2020 at 5:42 PM, elektrified said:

LOL get a life. Most Thai people do shop in Makro.

Makro has 79 Makro Classic stores in Thailand, and they claim a registered customer base of 2.6 million. Thailand has a population of 69.8 million, and there are literally thousands of local fresh food markets all over the country, 60 in Bangkok alone.

Even if arithmetic is not your strong suit, surely you can see that to claim that most Thai people shop in Makro, when their customer base represents a mere 4% of the population, is clearly preposterous.

What actually amazes me more, is that you seem to know so little about Thailand, its people, and their way of life, even thought you have apparently been here.

• Like 1