List of Thai provinces that have banned alcohol sales

webfact

6 minutes ago, tropo said:

Good grief to you too:

I asked you a logical question, yet you continue to laugh at everything.

I asked you why should the sale of alcohol continue when the sale of all other non-essential items has been banned?

For example, my wife wanted to buy some skin care products yesterday from Face Shop, but the store was closed, but she is not in an uproar over it.

Perhaps I should ask the question in a way that you may understand:

Why is alcohol essential? Give me one good reason why it should be sold? Don't repeat your last stupid answer about the risk of people losing money because they can't sell it, because all shops have closed.

Alcohol is essential to alcoholics. I might start running a tally of your helpful posts, if I want to replace one form of tedium with another.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, steelepulse said:

A friend of mine who is a big wine seller says sales have never been better back in the homeland.  Alcohol and cannabis products are deemed "essential".  Some countries are a bit more civilized about letting their citizens bide their time with such things to help relieve stress and anxiety.

Once again, my question was why continue selling alcohol in a country where the sale of most other things has been banned? 

I would also like to purchase other non-essential items, but I cannot. Why make an exception for alcohol?

2 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

looking at most of those dates shows the ban has nothing to do with Songkran 

Sorry, but I think they do. The official Songkran holiday would have been Monday 13 April to Wednesday 15 April, however many Thais would have headed home on Saturday 11 April and stayed with their families for the full week returning on Sunday 18 April. Therefore, ALL the Provinces listed do fall within this alcohol banning period.

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Alcohol is essential to alcoholics. I might start running a tally of your helpful posts, if I want to replace one form of tedium with another.

Dude, you started the flame war by a smarta** comment before. If you want to keep it going, be my guest. I would suggest for both of our sakes you stop right now. Up to you.

2 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

looking at most of those dates shows the ban has nothing to do with Songkran 

Songkran dates are 13-14. I know it's not a holiday this year but I guess many people will celebrate anyway but this ban will reduce many of these gatherings.

9 minutes ago, tropo said:

Perhaps I should ask the question in a way that you may understand:

Why is alcohol essential? Give me one good reason why it should be sold? Don't repeat your last stupid answer about the risk of people losing money because they can't sell it, because all shops have closed.

I live in a remote area i am isolating its not much different to normal days only i cannot nip down to beach for a drink in the evening

Now as i am abiding by the law why cannot i buy beer to drink and relax and de stress at home with the "flaxen haired temptress" in the evening  its not like i'm going to run naked in the road and kiss and hug each passer by (although i might be standing the road for quite a while) it's a quiet road

1 minute ago, poohy said:

I live in a remote area i am isolating its not much different to normal days only i cannot nip down to beach for a drink in the evening

Now as i am abiding by the law why cannot i buy beer to drink and relax and de stress at home with the "flaxen haired temptress" in the evening  its not like i'm going to run naked in the road and kiss and hug each passer by (although i might be standing the road for quite a while) it's a quiet road

Because some people see fit to impose their ridiculous "standards" on you?

5 minutes ago, tropo said:

Once again, my question was why continue selling alcohol in a country where the sale of most other things has been banned? 

I would also like to purchase other non-essential items, but I cannot. Why make an exception for alcohol?

You need to produce a list of essential items, it's bound to be subjective

1 minute ago, poohy said:

I can easy stay home all day around 5pm I like to have a couple of cans where I can relax and chat online with some friends, whats the problem with that? my choice

1 minute ago, tropo said:

Dude, you started the flame war by a smarta** comment before. If you want to keep it going, be my guest. I would suggest for both of our sakes you stop right now. Up to you.

Why? Are you the kind of person that enjoys handing it out, but not so good when you get it back?

Stay well and keep safe. That's the best any of us can do.

Just now, Lacessit said:

Why? Are you the kind of person that enjoys handing it out, but not so good when you get it back?

Stay well and keep safe. That's the best any of us can do.

If I hand you something, by all means, hand it back. You started it with no provocation whatsoever. If that's your style, have at it, but it doesn't always end when you want it to.

4 minutes ago, Canuck1966 said:

You need to produce a list of essential items, it's bound to be subjective

I'm not producing the list. The Thai government is. I'm just asking why alcohol should be exempted from the list. 

7 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Sorry, but I think they do. The official Songkran holiday would have been Monday 13 April to Wednesday 15 April, however many Thais would have headed home on Saturday 11 April and stayed with their families for the full week returning on Sunday 18 April. Therefore, ALL the Provinces listed do fall within this alcohol banning period.

the majority of the bans listed either end 30th april or haven't had a confirmed a return date

even taking into account your end date of 18th april, most of the banned days don't relate to songkran

2 minutes ago, tropo said:

I'm not producing the list. The Thai government is.

They who must be obeyed? others have made that mistake in the past, mere weeks ago anything the Thai "government" said was questioned, what has changed within the "government" that we should now accept that what they are doing is for our own good?

Just now, tropo said:

If I hand you something, by all means, hand it back. You started it with no provocation whatsoever. If that's your style, have at it, but it doesn't always end when you want it to.

If I remember correctly, you observed you were posting more with enforced isolation, to the dismay of your opponents on TV. I then suggested you should not confuse quality with quantity. That did not appeal to your sense of humor. Big deal.

You've then come back with a series of insults, and I've returned the favor. When you're in a hole, it's best to stop digging.

Perhaps you have been on TV so long you now consider yourself an authority and moral arbiter. If you think that makes any difference to me, you are sadly mistaken.

1 minute ago, CGW said:

They who must be obeyed? others have made that mistake in the past, mere weeks ago anything the Thai "government" said was questioned, what has changed within the "government" that we should now accept that what they are doing is for our own good?

As a foreigner, disobeying the Thai government is not recommended, but it's your choice.

Before you go ahead and try, Thailand is in a state of emergency, where normal rights have been suspended.

3 minutes ago, tropo said:

As a foreigner, disobeying the Thai government is not recommended, but it's your choice.

Before you go ahead and try, Thailand is in a state of emergency, where normal rights have been suspended.

????

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

If I remember correctly, you observed you were posting more with enforced isolation, to the dismay of your opponents on TV. I then suggested you should not confuse quality with quantity. That did not appeal to your sense of humor. Big deal.

You've then come back with a series of insults, and I've returned the favor. When you're in a hole, it's best to stop digging.

Perhaps you have been on TV so long you now consider yourself an authority and moral arbiter. If you think that makes any difference to me, you are sadly mistaken.

I suppose you were bored and wanted to start a flame fest by getting personal... and by the looks of it you will not stop anytime soon. You were the one suggesting you're the authority and arbiter of quality posting, touting your likes as proof.

5 minutes ago, Denim said:

Still available in the boonies of Petchabun despite the ban.

I knew those freemason handshakes at the back door would come in useful one day.

Freely available in Chiang Rai. Big C was running a Thai whisky promotion, judging by the eye candy.

1 hour ago, transam said:

It raises the risk of zillions of small businesses going bust and not being able to eat......The Police should take care of naughty folk...

I tend to agree with you as many o many o mom and pop shops sell alcohol and make ends meat by doing it. Letting the police deal with the naughty folk is exactly what I told my friends and family. Ridiculous. 

1 minute ago, tropo said:

I suppose you were bored and wanted to start a flame fest by getting personal... and by the looks of it you will not stop anytime soon. You were the one suggesting you're the authority and arbiter of quality posting, touting your likes as proof.

On the contrary, I'm stopping now because I have other things to do. Bye.

11 minutes ago, CGW said:

????

Let me know how you go when you decide to disobey the law here. You will discover what is in your best interests. I can save you the trouble - you don't have much in the way of rights in Thailand.

5 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

I tend to agree with you as many o many o mom and pop shops sell alcohol and make ends meat by doing it. Letting the police deal with the naughty folk is exactly what I told my friends and family. Ridiculous. 

And what of all the other thousands of "mom and pop" stores in Thailand that have closed up shop because they no longer can sell their wares?

31 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

the majority of the bans listed either end 30th april or haven't had a confirmed a return date

even taking into account your end date of 18th april, most of the banned days don't relate to songkran

I just have this nasty feeling that after the end of April, the ban will be extended. 

One way to look at it is like the internet. The internet isn't essential to human life, but the government just gave free internet to every Thai person. Just like alcohol the internet is a great way to wile away the hours while you are trapped at home. If we allow people to be medicated by their smart phone, why not alcohol as well, it serves the same purpose.

Archived