List of Thai provinces that have banned alcohol sales

webfact

8 hours ago, pj123 said:

+ Pathumthani already in force. 
Any update on Ayutthaya? Nonthaburi?

Can someone update the original post please

Banned in Nontaburi too, but at my local shop, today,  it seems they forgot to tell some of the sales staff that the ban came into effect a couple of days ago....oops ????

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, gomangosteen said:

No restrictions yet imposed for Chanthaburi province, based upon Tesco-Lotus and 7-11 still selling, expect they would be first to shut down sales if alcohol sales were to be stopped.

Spoke too soon.

Ban on alcohol sales for Chanthaburi province was announced with immediate effect last night from 10pm, until 30 April 2020.

Minimal effect on us, know few people who drink, our town has the usual 7-11, Tesco selling alcohol but no pub or bars, most restaurants are similarly 'dry'.

Green tea, anyone?

On 4/10/2020 at 3:10 PM, tropo said:

About 40 die per day in Thailand (pre covid-19) from road accidents.

We're discussing the sale of alcohol in the context that the sale of all other non-essential items has been banned. Why should alcohol sales continue?

You are making a error in your reasoning here. Although it seems you did this on purpose to aggravate other people.

The sale of all other non-essential items has NOT been banned at all. Perhaps you can show us the directive where it says these items are banned and illegal to sell.

Example, when you are in Makro, or BigC, or Tesco, there are signs where the "non essential" items are which direct you to the shop website to order these items online.  Hence, the sale is not banned at all, nor has it been discontinued, only in a (misguided) effort to reduce foot traffic to stores, are these items not available to buy in the shop itself.  A quick check on www.bigc.co.th, or tesco etc, shows that all these items are available for delivery.

Why should alcohol be continued to be allowed to sell? Well, for starters, Many Mom and Pop shops need the income from the alcohol sales.

Many consumers are anxious with all that is going on, having a drink at night relaxes them, keeps them sane and calm. These are the people you and the various governors like to aggravate.

If the population just continues to take these knee-jerk actions on the chin, without push-back, maybe in the future some of these governors will decide that only water and rice will be deemed essential, and we can do way with all the fancy stuff like juices, meats, vegetables and fish.

The third topic about alcohol ban I catch today when checking the news. Fantastic. May I make a suggestion that TVF open a new section, just like for the corona virus, where all needy people can find information on how to find their fix. :burp::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

18 hours ago, pj123 said:

+ Pathumthani already in force. 
Any update on Ayutthaya? Nonthaburi?

Can someone update the original post please

Kind of weird, I bought two big boxes of Australian red at the Makro on Changwattana yesterday afternoon (Nonthaburi).  But the list said it was banned.  So not sure how accurate that list is.

On 4/10/2020 at 7:26 AM, KhunBENQ said:

"Only" banned from 6 PM to 6 AM (so far).

Combined with the general rules more than strange.

Allowed now 11 AM to 2 PM and 5 PM to 6 PM.

Got a panic call from a friend in Jomtien yesterday after his wife called him from Bangkok and falsely claim that there is a nationwide ban from April 10 to 20 :biggrin:

Seems that the chonburi alcohol ban IS 24 hours now. ALL alcohol sales are banned in Chonburi until APRil 30. Anyone confirm this?

Ah, here it is, the official notice:

On 4/10/2020 at 7:57 PM, Russell17au said:

Thailand is no different to any other country in that in America the governors of each state can set the laws for that state the same is in Australia where the premier of each state can set the laws for that state and in Western Australia the premier of the state has brought in alcohol restrictions which limit the amount of take home alcohol that you can buy each day. The governors of the Thai provinces have the legal right to set what ever law they want in their province and anybody who breaches those laws and gets caught have no right to complain.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-wa-restricts-alcohol-amid-outbreak-040927104.html

Absolutely correct. With regard to Australia, it was also a bit discouraging seeing the media making much of the public and even fire-department workers openly dissing their PM during the recent bush fires. They blamed the government and ranted about the PM being on vacation in Hawaii at the start of the outbreak. All this while ignoring the fact that the person in charge of NSW's emergency services was similarly indisposed at the height of their tragedy. The states raise money through taxes and fees for services and allocate what they see is adequate funding. When needed or requested, federal government gives money to the individual states but these states are still responsible for their own preparedness or otherwise.

Back on topic back here in Thailand regarding the booze ban. If the PM had exercised his SoE powers and mandated a nationwide booze ban, the same noisome malcontents bleating about Thailand's rather scattergun approach to this issue would be gurning about 'dictatorship' and 'police state' and other stuff of nonsense.

Please get a grip.

2 hours ago, tominbkk said:

Kind of weird, I bought two big boxes of Australian red at the Makro on Changwattana yesterday afternoon (Nonthaburi).  But the list said it was banned.  So not sure how accurate that list is.

Oh, it's banned, even the local M&P shop has a sign "no alcohol 10-20 April", and that's a first. I'm guessing the Makro thing is an anomaly caused by this seeming to be a last minute decision and communication problems. I certainly didn't learn about it from any official announcement but from the signs in shops.

On 4/10/2020 at 3:05 PM, tropo said:

LOL. Can it be worse than it already is? That boat sailed weeks ago...

I get it, some of you need your alcohol, but let's be logical about this. The only items that are able to be purchased in supermarkets right now are the essential items. For example, the malls in Pattaya have closed down completely. All that remains open now are the supermarkets and restaurants, strictly for takeaways. I was at Central yesterday and the restaurants had booths for ordering take away food on the ground level. All other levels were shut.

Alcohol is not an essential item, so if sale of all other non-essential items has been discontinued, why should alcohol be an exception? Alcohol, being a drug that affects behaviour, should be considered the least essential non-essential item of all.

Reading your post it's no wonder you're tropo. You get my "Miserable goit" award for today and I'm only on the first page.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Absolutely correct. With regard to Australia, it was also a bit discouraging seeing the media making much of the public and even fire-department workers openly dissing their PM during the recent bush fires. They blamed the government and ranted about the PM being on vacation in Hawaii at the start of the outbreak. All this while ignoring the fact that the person in charge of NSW's emergency services was similarly indisposed at the height of their tragedy. The states raise money through taxes and fees for services and allocate what they see is adequate funding. When needed or requested, federal government gives money to the individual states but these states are still responsible for their own preparedness or otherwise.

Back on topic back here in Thailand regarding the booze ban. If the PM had exercised his SoE powers and mandated a nationwide booze ban, the same noisome malcontents bleating about Thailand's rather scattergun approach to this issue would be gurning about 'dictatorship' and 'police state' and other stuff of nonsense.

Please get a grip.

How did that get through? I thought I blocked this WUM years ago.

30 minutes ago, nomad2019 said:

What is the rule ?  

Can drink be sold at all ? 

Everything is not made clear, we are getting different messages about this.

Anyone know.

A link please

????????????????????????

What is unclear?

No alcoholic drinks to be sold, served or transported.

A thousand links but really too much.

Just be aware that every province governor can make up his own rules.

"Why is alcohol essential? Give me one good reason why it should be sold?"

Without a cold beer my grass doesn't get cut.

My grass doesn't get cut the snakes move in.

The snakes move in my cat doesn't go out.

My cat doesn't go out I run out of kitty litter.

Lack of kitty litter drives me out of the house.

If I can't live in the house I have to move outside.

I move outside the snakes will get me!

Thus, beer is essential to life.

Archived