List of Thai provinces that have banned alcohol sales

webfact

On 4/10/2020 at 1:15 PM, ftpjtm said:

Is there any particular reason for this?

The Thai government knows that a big percentage of westerners have drink problems and IMO, that is why it is done. Any excuse that they can think of suffices.

The Immigration big wigs hate us, but I do not think that applies to all of the IOs although some of them could watch their attitude at times.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/10/2020 at 3:24 PM, tropo said:

I have no idea where in the world it is banned or not.

I gave some reasons why it may help because people on here think the idea to ban it is senseless. I'm still trying to hear a good reason why it shouldn't be banned when all other non-essential items have been banned.

Have they banned the sale of everything non-essential in Europe or USA?

As a non drinker, I have to admit that alcohol is non essential, and it is wrong to ban it, just as it is also wrong to close down bars for religious reasons.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

As a non drinker, I have to admit that alcohol is non essential, and it is wrong to ban it, just as it is also wrong to close down bars for religious reasons.

And why is it wrong to ban alcohol, that causes behavioural problems that can make the job of curfew, distancing and lockdown more difficult? There might be a large number of sensible expat drinkers that are inconvenienced for a time, but this is Thailand and it's the behaviour of a very large population of younger people that are the concern here. 

Add Khon Kaen to the list. I am way out in the boonies. The police just came to the mom and pop stores and put up a ban from April 12 - 17. All we have are small mom and pop stores within a 15 k radius of me. None are selling. A friend went out to get some whiskey and about two hours later he came back empty. They are serious about it this time.

People don't seem to understand the plot here.

Everybody complains about the government not doing anything too reduce the number of deaths on the road, especially at songkran, and we know that a lot of them are linked to drinking.

Can you not see that by banning alcohol now over Songkran, it could show that there is a big reduction in deaths.

This is a perfect opportunity to try this strategy out, then it could be justified to repeat every year.  ????

Oh, and also be extended to new year. ????????????

32 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

So, is alcohol available for purchase in the following Provinces - Khon Kaen, Uttaradit, Phrae, Phayao, Nan and Udon Thani????

No. Khon Kaen and Udon Thani have at least banned the sale of alcohol. In Udon Thani its between the 11th until 30th April, and police is driving around in villages to warn shop owners of hefty fines if the sell alcohol  Official posters in all 7-eleven, BigC and Makro stores. People in Nong Khai and Bueng Kan also say its banned there as well.

On 4/10/2020 at 3:05 PM, tropo said:

LOL. Can it be worse than it already is? That boat sailed weeks ago...

I get it, some of you need your alcohol, but let's be logical about this. The only items that are able to be purchased in supermarkets right now are the essential items. For example, the malls in Pattaya have closed down completely. All that remains open now are the supermarkets and restaurants, strictly for takeaways. I was at Central yesterday and the restaurants had booths for ordering take away food on the ground level. All other levels were shut.

Alcohol is not an essential item, so if sale of all other non-essential items has been discontinued, why should alcohol be an exception? Alcohol, being a drug that affects behaviour, should be considered the least essential non-essential item of all.

It's totally OK for you not to drink at all. Relax, nobody is threatening your rights. 

It's also totally OK for people to drink in moderation, or to get staggeringly drunk in their own homes.  This is not a question of logic or morality, but one of personal choice. 

What is not OK is for others to dictate what I choose to consume as long as I don't harm others in the act. 

I'll take this opportunity to again remind people that it is exceedingly easy to use any of a large variety of fruits in Thailand to brew your own brandy. A glass jar and a few days is all it takes. Yeast will do the rest. May the gods bless their tiny besotted souls. 

Incidentally, a wide variety of animals, including many insects are drawn to consume rotting fruit. Many monkies get noticeably drunk on such finds. Why is that do you suppose?

It's safe to assume this to be acceptable behavior in the animal community at large, maybe even essential. Or perhaps they are simply more tolerant creatures than man. 

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

The Thai government knows that a big percentage of westerners have drink problems and IMO, that is why it is done.

Really? A big percentage? 

What the Thai government does or doesn't know is not often apparent, and almost certainly not by you. 

I've lived in western countries most of my life and know many people who drink that don't have "drink problems"; a very 'little' percentage of them in fact IMO. 

Where do you live that has such problems and do you personally know a big percentage of the population? 

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

The Thai government knows that a big percentage of westerners have drink problems and IMO, that is why it is done.

"that is why"!!!!

Can you rethink this please?

You can't be serious.

Just now, digger70 said:

Who said that it was suppose to be ? 

Those who try find a rational justification for this measure?

In Khon Kaen the ban is 12 to 17 which could well be related to Songkran.

But the magical 30 April is arbitrary.

20 hours ago, DJ54 said:

I feel for some of the folks up here in NE... life working on farms 

in the heat of day which sucks. And a little Thai whisky makes it

a little less like it sucks... Then yeah no alcohol... 

Don't worry too much , they'll still get some .

3 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Really? A big percentage? 

What the Thai government does or doesn't know is not often apparent, and almost certainly not by you. 

I've lived in western countries most of my life and know many people who drink that don't have "drink problems"; a very 'little' percentage of them in fact IMO. 

Where do you live that has such problems and do you personally know a big percentage of the population? 

In most of the time I have been here, the majority of Farangs I know drink every day, so IMO they have a drink problem.

On 4/10/2020 at 1:15 PM, ftpjtm said:

Is there any particular reason for this?

No real reason but the result will reduce the income of more small shops and possibly out of business. Police unable to secure a lockdown and stop parties, could be one reason though.

All 77 of 'em:

Alcohol sales banned in entire country

All 77 provinces have banned sales of alcoholic beverages and ordered the closure of shops or venues selling those beverages, as part of efforts to contain the spread of Covid-19.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/3038583

(However each province has set a schedule following SongKran  -- see article for detail)

8 hours ago, possum1931 said:

In most of the time I have been here, the majority of Farangs I know drink every day, so IMO they have a drink problem.

If someone cannot go a day without a drink, then they have a problem, but that is not to say that they are a raving alcoholic.

They're telling us to wash hands with alcohol, now they say total ban on alcohol!!!!??

If alcohol kills germs why not drinking it instead of wasting it on our hands?!

"Wine can make you fat, what will it be, red or white?"

38 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

If someone cannot go a day without a drink, then they have a problem, but that is not to say that they are a raving alcoholic.

How would you know Poss, you have never had a glass of anything to know....????.......????

9 hours ago, possum1931 said:

OK. Well. Sorry for that. 

I hope it's not contagious. 

49 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

It is not up to anyone else to tell other people how to run their lives, nor is it up to other people to pass judgement on other people just because they don't live their lives as you do. It's called freedom of choice, some people may not want to drink every day, but it is nice to have that choice if they so wish to.

Archived