Selfish or is it paranoia

Paul Laycock1

My sister in law lives with me. She is upstairs in my house, myself downstairs.

She now has three children. The children go out everyday to play with friends.

The sister in law also goes into the village daily and obviously mixes with others.

Her boyfriend comes here nightly about 7pm he lives about 30km away so is obviously mixing with other people. He leaves in the morning, I’m getting rather <deleted> off with this but am I over reacting?

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Paul Laycock1 said:

My sister in law lives with me. She is upstairs in my house, myself downstairs.

She now has three children. The children go out everyday to play with friends.

The sister in law also goes into the village daily and obviously mixes with others.

Her boyfriend comes here nightly about 7pm he lives about 30km away so is obviously mixing with other people. He leaves in the morning, I’m getting rather <deleted> off with this but am I over reacting?

is your sister in law renting the top floor?

are you the owner/renter/housemaster?

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Paul, there is one person that you have failed to mention in all of this, and that is your wife. Where is she and what is she doing about your fears. You say your sister-in-law is doing everything for you, what is your wife doing? As a farang the house would not be in your name but in your wifes name and yet there is no mention of her. Sorry but I cannot understand why you are not talking to your wife and having the situation resolved.

My wife lives and works in Bangkok, I see her once a year for the annual renewal of my extension. My wife is currently working from home.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Paul Laycock1 said:

My wife lives and works in Bangkok, I see her once a year for the annual renewal of my extension. My wife is currently working from home.

It sounds like this is going to be a hard one to resolve, i.e. as I totally understand where you are coming from, e.g. we have 4 kids, and no one goes anywhere, only mum and dad go shopping when we have too, every 7-10 days, in and out as quick as possible.

I think you have a couple of choices, you tell your sister-in-law of your concerns, or your wife does, or you move to Bangkok.

Hell of a spot to be in mate, I would be peeeed off too, but I would never have let it get that far, even though I understand it's your sister-in-law.

Another option might be to change the entrance to the upstairs, e.g. extra stairs (external) so you don't have to see them until this blows over ? 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Paul Laycock1 said:

She lives here rent free but does my shopping, washing, ironing and a few other things.

if you think about it she's working for you .so start paying her properly  factory workers get 8000? a month so work it from there backwards then  this is a job and you want blah blah blah .. or you'll HAVE to get someone else in once u do that  everyone saves face ... u dont want to make your missus the  bad one in the eyes of the family .

If you cannot get the others under control, then maybe the answer would be to change floors? By being upstairs, you might be able to create a far more controlled exposure profile. That is assuming the layout provides for that.

• Like 1

...and there was me thinking I was have a tough time staying indoors watching Netflix! Reading this thread has made me grateful for what I have. The thought of living with a Thai woman, her three kids and her boyfriend sounds worse than being quarantined in hospital. But that's just me. The only positive advice I can think of is try to stay in your room all day and get them to deliver you food. Even if they get covid, you won't catch it just by living in the same house provided you do social distancing. 

12 hours ago, 3 minus 2 said:

if you think about it she's working for you .so start paying her properly  factory workers get 8000? a month so work it from there backwards then  this is a job and you want blah blah blah .. or you'll HAVE to get someone else in once u do that  everyone saves face ... u dont want to make your missus the  bad one in the eyes of the family .

Free electric, free gas, use of my car, boyfriend coming and going.

oh I get it now it’s all my fault, silly me for ever coming here.

The missus, my son and the mother in law are all in Bangkok.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Paul Laycock1 said:

Free electric, free gas, use of my car, boyfriend coming and going.

oh I get it now it’s all my fault, silly me for ever coming here.

The missus, my son and the mother in law are all in Bangkok.

Why don't you go live with your wife and son?

• Thanks 2