Thai provinces ban alcohol sales ahead of New Year to curb coronavirus spread

rooster59

32 minutes ago, nicerounderereinnit said:

Seems pretty clear to me.. take some preventative measures to at least try to greatly reduce the gathering of inebriated people, in these times of, er.. a continuing PANDEMIC.. and it would - surely - have to help.. no? Like I say, seems pretty clear TO ME.. but maybe that's just me.. and I suppose if you're gagging for your beer then you're just not going to see, or even consider, it.. just not 'scientific' is it, lol??.. You might even be so frustrated as to then call it 'incomprehensible'.. Er.. right. 

You drunk? Sounds like it.

Had another read. Yep

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bangkokfrog said:

Tired of this old chestnut. Thailand has a number of alcohol free (banned) days every year, yet those of us who have been here a while (and especially those who have a basic command of the language) never have a problem in obtaining from our local mum & dad shops. Add to this the ready availability of Lao Khao for those prepared to disintegrate their liver, and few Thais outside the capital are likely to be affected.

That might well be so - except this time, even transporting it (let alone selling it, giving it away etc.) comes with a heavy fine (if caught, that is). This time, the game's somewhat riskier than selling whiskey in coffee cups at bars on a holiday - no bars, no coffee cups!

Just now, bristolgeoff said:

local sales will go up i imagine,or will they shut that down too.lets wait and see 

The ban is for everyone. Per usual there is going to be shops that sell anyway as always. No need to wait and see.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Daveyh said:

We all know that the consumption of alcohol encourages us all to do things we'd never do when sober.

Let me double check this with myself.

The stupidest things I did, was there alcohol involved?

uhm ... yes ????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Seems like the possibilities to get alcohol is the most important thing to focus on this forum. Already 3 news articles about it today. Hilarious!

Correct...<deleted> has COVID -19 to do with ALCOHOL?

5 years ago, Prayuth and his crew, declared that they would "clean up" Pattaya, Phuket and other red light areas as it gave Thailand a bad image.

Now may be the perfect time to complete the job! Banning alcohol sales only adds to their efforts..

36 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

5 years ago, Prayuth and his crew, declared that they would "clean up" Pattaya, Phuket and other red light areas as it gave Thailand a bad image.

Now may be the perfect time to complete the job! Banning alcohol sales only adds to their efforts..

Be careful. I can see this ban being extended and possibly brought back every Songkran.

They ban alcohol at all local and national elections and religious holidays. Ban the sales near schools, temples, hospitals and motorways. I am sure some of those higher up would love to see these bans extended.

Edited by petedk
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, bangkokfrog said:

Tired of this old chestnut. Thailand has a number of alcohol free (banned) days every year, yet those of us who have been here a while (and especially those who have a basic command of the language) never have a problem in obtaining from our local mum & dad shops. Add to this the ready availability of Lao Khao for those prepared to disintegrate their liver, and few Thais outside the capital are likely to be affected.

I am in a village near Kalasin and even our small village shops will not sell alcohol at the moment. Which is very unusual as they will normally sell it at any time even on Buddha days. Where will the monks get their booze now?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Daveyh said:

My god, some of these posts are pathetic & beyond reason. This ban is for a very good reason ...... it's to save lives. We all know that the consumption of alcohol encourages us all to do things we'd never do when sober. This will help to stop the spread as people will be more likely not to be stupid & ignore the bans in place due to covid-19, especially during Songkran. Anything that will help combat this pandemic must be adhered to like it or not! Remember that you are a guest here, believe it or not your behaviour will help to encourage everyone to comply, plus improve relations between us & the Thai community. We are all in this together, support Thailand in their hour of need, everyone here is scared for their families, many are split & unable to travel. Show some compassion & those that have no regard for others stop thinking about yourself for once! Stay safe everyone.

Well said. Selective memory is spreading faster than the virus.

People should remember one of the worst incidents in the early days of the virus was a drunken party with people drinking from the same glass.

Songkran has always been an alcohol fueled celebration with bottles being passed around, a recipe for disaster in current times. The ban is quite appropriate but becomes a god given excuse to those that wallow in continual complaints against the administration.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, smedly said:

like what ?

considering drinking is limited to within our own homes

and buying beer is no more risk than buying a bottle of coke

do enlighten us all  

I guess it's only to prevent get togethers in groupings and drinking ... i.e. on the Beach.

You could also ask, why is the beach closed? If you walk far away from each other?

It all doesn't work like that ... not in Thailand. Hence all those alcohol sales bans on Buddah days, elecction days, 7-11 sale timings etc. 

You live here, you must know it, why ask ????

2 minutes ago, smedly said:

yep 100% correct

This thread is dominated by the "evil alcohol crew" the pure types that have never put a foot wrong in their lives 

Hope I'm not included in your general statement of evil alcohol crew ... I almost dropped my glass of beer when reading this.

It's just like that and how it works in Thailand ... we see it year in / year out.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Daveyh said:

My god, some of these posts are pathetic & beyond reason. This ban is for a very good reason ...... it's to save lives. We all know that the consumption of alcohol encourages us all to do things we'd never do when sober. This will help to stop the spread as people will be more likely not to be stupid & ignore the bans in place due to covid-19, especially during Songkran. Anything that will help combat this pandemic must be adhered to like it or not! Remember that you are a guest here, believe it or not your behaviour will help to encourage everyone to comply, plus improve relations between us & the Thai community. We are all in this together, support Thailand in their hour of need, everyone here is scared for their families, many are split & unable to travel. Show some compassion & those that have no regard for others stop thinking about yourself for once! Stay safe everyone.

Suppose the ban was 100% effective(haha) - what would you do with a few million alcoholics going cold turkey at the same time?

On 4/12/2020 at 8:20 AM, baansgr said:

Alcohol brings on depression, imagine, you have lost your job, maybe your car, girlfriend or whatever. No end in sight to the situation, put two and two together...nothing to do with Songran...Philippines have had bans on in certain places for weeks already...another poor country full of guns and no real police force....

On Thai news yesterday I watched a Thai man drink the contents of one of those hand sanitisers from the counter of a shop (caught on cctv) apart from the whole idea of desperation it was a very high risk and disgusting thing to do