Songkran: holidays or not?

Brunolem

Songkran has been officially cancelled, but what does it mean in practice?

Are the banks, the post office, the administrations and so on, going to remain open, or are they going to close anyway?

And if they are closed, when will they reopen?

Thanks for your input.

Holidays or not ?

is that a joke?
You have not yet understood the meaning of this sentence:
STAY AT HOME, DON'T MOVE
and then on the other hand, I have never seen a country on this earth where there are so many holidays;
if banks and public administrations are open 180 days a year, it is the end of the world.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Just now, Fruit Trader said:

Holiday :- A day of recreation when no work is done, social gathering not compulsory.

Nothing prohibits spending your holidays at home .

I don't know in which language it should be written but here on thaivisa, only the English language is allowed:

STAY HOME - DON'T MOVE

It reminds me of this advertisement that we saw on the Baioke tower about fifteen years ago:

DRINK DON'T DRIVE,

Joke thai people never understood

Personnal photo shot in november 2006 with Nikon E4500

536163961_DSCN5207_Bayoke_tower(Copy).thumb.jpg.4c3806b8fabd28c97e58f06f69abf4ad.jpg

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Brunolem said:

or are they going to close anyway?

Just came to my mind: some offices and services are closed independent of Songkran.

Many district offices (amphoe) seem closed.

The transport office (DLT) does not handle any driving license issues.

Postal mail works domestic but no airmail (as of last info).

You have to check specifically about the office/service you want to use.

But your friendly immigration officer is ready to serve you :biggrin:

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 2

wife was told that her and all the companies workers are working, holiday has been put off  to a later date(presumably after the virus problems), its a large  private business but with a lot of workers

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

Holidays or not ?

is that a joke?
STAY AT HOME, DON'T MOVE
and then on the other hand, I have never seen a country on this earth where there are so many holidays;
if banks and public administrations are open 180 days a year, it is the end of the world.

Banks are open

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

I don't know in which language it should be written but here on thaivisa, only the English language is allowed:

STAY HOME - DON'T MOVE

It reminds me of this advertisement that we saw on the Baioke tower about fifteen years ago:

DRINK DON'T DRIVE,

536163961_DSCN5207_Bayoke_tower(Copy).thumb.jpg.4c3806b8fabd28c97e58f06f69abf4ad.jpg

No need to shout or is your caps lock button stuck. The OP asked a valid question. In response to a previous comment by you. The reason Thai's get many extra days off is because their annual holiday allowence is low, probably only 2 weeks per year off. Unlike the west where 4 - 6 weeks annual leave is common.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

STAY HOME - DON'T MOVE

DRINK DON'T DRIVE,

Great shot!

• Thanks 1

Guess we’ll have wait and see how plays out.... I’m not sure everyone knows it’s been postponed. 

Its good for the people to celebrate only wish here in NE village 

it would only 3 days.., but it’s stretched 7-10 days. Parties in the 

street daily...

I looked at the list of provinces banning alcohol and Udon Thani

is not on today’s list but locals say no alcohol...

26 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

Ban in all 76 provinces plus Bangkok now.

Just each governor sets his own date/duration.

Chaos.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1159084-thai-provinces-ban-alcohol-sales-ahead-of-new-year-to-curb-coronavirus-spread/?do=findComment&comment=15288071

Edited by KhunBENQ

3 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Guess we’ll have wait and see how plays out.... I’m not sure everyone knows it’s been postponed. 

Its good for the people to celebrate only wish here in NE village 

it would only 3 days.., but it’s stretched 7-10 days. Parties in the 

street daily...

It has been cancelled and everyone knows it.

Whether they choose to obey the law is another matter.

17 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

I have never seen a country on this earth where there are so many holidays;

Always thought Malaysia had a lot more than Thailand, but...

"Of all countries on the globe, Cambodia tops the list for the most public holidays with 28 public holidays observed annually. Sri Lanka follows with 25, India and Kazakhstan with 21, Colombia, the Philippines and Trinidad and Tobago with 18, China and Hong Kong with 17, and Thailand, Turkey, and Pakistan with 16."

World Atlas

Wouldn't take this as gospel because thought Thailand had more, but still.

On 4/12/2020 at 7:59 AM, Assurancetourix said:

Holidays or not ?

is that a joke?
STAY AT HOME, DON'T MOVE

India cant be far behind

14 hours ago, Kurtf said:

Who cares? Adults spraying water at each other is so infantile in the first place. Grow up for God's sake. 

Here is how it is supposed to work:

First, you read the question, in this case the opening post

Then, and only then, you answer the question

• Like 1

My wife works at the local Tessaban and is not happy having to still work over Songkran. 

Songran is not cancelled or posponed, it is just the usual rowdy water fighting and official stage shows that have been cancelled. 

In fact everyone at my wife's office have put on their Songkran shirts today.....I hope that is as far as it will go. 

But I know from previous years they always had a big show of the tradition Songkran celebration with the older people in the community which is water GENTLY poured over their hands.  Also the Tessaban gave all the old folks in their area Songkran gift parcels which usually consisted of towels and blankets.  

Edited by johncat1

On 4/12/2020 at 8:50 AM, Fruit Trader said:

Its not a joke but a valid question as some businesses have considered moving the Songkran holiday date forward.

Holiday :- A day of recreation when no work is done, social gathering not compulsory.

The government has postponed Songkran. Businesses have nothing to do with it. So,there are no national holidays 13-15 April. 

Just been out by car and it was surprising to see that the majority of businesses are closed today.

I understand that people want to take a rest during Songkran, but it is NOT Songkran this year. We'll get these days at some point in July or August. 

This is not going to discourage people from gathering and visiting each other. 

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

The government has postponed Songkran. Businesses have nothing to do with it. So,there are no national holidays 13-15 April. 

Not everyone is clear about if the holiday was cancelled or only the celebration. This is the reason for the question in the OP and why I quoted the muppet in post #2.

Some banks for example have not updated the call center message leaving many believing branches are closed when they are actually open due to cancelled holiday.

We have shut down our packing shed for three days at request of the machine operators who want to stay home with family during the new year period. They of course will not have these days in the bank for later use.

In the district town today.

Post office open.

DLT open (not for driving license stuff).

Banks open (BAAC main branch with big crowd, tents in front of the building, "social distance" obeyed), micro branches (SCB, BBK) will close at 17:00h.

Global Home closed. At another home store I would have to order at the entrance, no self-service.

MAKRO and Tesco open for "essential stuff".

ZERO Songkran activity, zero splashing etc.

Dead as a dodo.

First time since 2011 that I was driving during April 13.

Tomorrow I will drive the granddaughter back to Khon Kaen.

Seems they will have exams at the uni.

A kingdom for a haircut :biggrin:

Edited by KhunBENQ

Dear Thailand,

As a New Year holiday it is just another year, not having it isn't a matter of life or death, or is it?

Years come and years go!  Business, banks, and government offices just close like normal on this holiday just don't need to spray water, drink yourselves to death and if that doesn't do the trick then get on the road kill yourself or someone else. It is just one year no need to move it to July!  This holiday was actually celebrated in January 26th this year Chinese New Year no need to have Songkran it is really meaningless!

• Confused 1