Water Pump - Repair or replace.

Don Mega

With the mains water turned down to a trickle Iam now relying on water from the underground tank.

The pump sits exposed and has had zero maintenance the pump cycles for about 3 seconds every minute or so and upon inspection appears to have some leaks.

Is it just a matter of some new gaskets (and some thread sealant on the blue pipe) to sort this or is it a throw away and replace the pump job ?

There is some corrosion around the tank, not sure if it is leaking or not but would prefer not to replace (rented house, Landlord not keen to replace just yet)

93053456-10157696157232740-6620150542947
93111676-10157696157287740-1765253677737
93281461-10157696157347740-4054211697336
93478332-10157696157422740-3261627224331

It is a common problem, the tank is corroding and not going to last much longer. My sister in law has the same model, think it is about 15 years old and been housed inside but has recently started to get leaks on the tank. She was quoted about 2000 baht for a new stainless tank but my brother in law has been patching it with epoxy cement, only delaying the inevitable.

I would suggest that you get a new tank and they will deal with the other issues at the same time.

Word of warning, the tanks corrode from the inside so the full extent of the corrosion cannot be seen. I had a smaller Mitsubishi and the tank went after about 18 months. I had noticed water around the motor mountings and was having a look when it decided to burst, I was very fortunate the jet of water missed my face by about 6 inches.

I had a stainless tank fitted and been ok for the last 10 years.

Ive run  a spanner over the bolts and they were slightly loos, re-seated the top caps and there appears to be no more leaks.... other than this one.... I don't know water pumps (is this the inlet or outlet ?)... buts still weeping.... would that cause the pump to cycle... asking before undoing renew the  thread tape and most likely breaking a pipe and having to redo... have sent an email to the landlord telling him a new pump is due but he takes a while to respond (lives in Aus on his farm).

22 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Ive run  a spanner over the bolts and they were slightly loos, re-seated the top caps and there appears to be no more leaks.... other than this one.... I don't know water pumps (is this the inlet or outlet ?)... buts still weeping.... would that cause the pump to cycle... asking before undoing renew the  thread tape and most likely breaking a pipe and having to redo... have sent an email to the landlord telling him a new pump is due but he takes a while to respond (lives in Aus on his farm).

As an Aussie I am flabbergasted he would not provide a new pump.... It's hard enough to deal with the Thai landlords..... 

To your question I have had the same issue, pump running every 15-20 secs for maybe 5 secs.... I can't see any obvious leaks and when we are not actually using the water the level is static. Someone mentioned on another forum it may need 'bleeding' but I could not see how to do it.

If you follow the pipe you should see where it comes from, the town water or the tank. 

I have found the easiest way to deal with these 'landlords' is to let them know the problem, and advise them you are getting it fixed and deducting the cost from the monthly rent. Works for us. ????

Edited by AtlasAus

17 minutes ago, AtlasAus said:

As an Aussie I am flabbergasted he would not provide a new pump.... It's hard enough to deal with the Thai landlords..... 

To your question I have had the same issue, pump running every 15-20 secs for maybe 5 secs.... I can't see any obvious leaks and when we are not actually using the water the level is static. Someone mentioned on another forum it may need 'bleeding' but I could not see how to do it.

If you follow the pipe you should see where it comes from, the town water or the tank. 

I have found the easiest way to deal with these 'landlords' is to let them know the problem, and advise them you are getting it fixed and deducting the cost from the monthly rent. Works for us. ????

No issue with my landlord replacing the pump, he just likes to be advised of the costs beforehand. He actually lives in Thailand but had to fly home to his farm in Aus  to sort some issues and is now stuck there, he does not sit by his phone or emails 24/7 awaiting me to call with a problem....... So don't tar him with the bad landlord brush because he is not.

Will investigate how to bleed the pump, leak at pipe is confirm at inlet side so cannot see that would cause it to cycle, there is a possibility the tank does have a pin hole underneath I guess.

We had exactly the same issue as you over a week ago. 

We've swapped our bigger pump over to a small one, and give it to an electrician who normally does jobs for us. 

He is in the process of replacing the numerous rubber seals that these pumps have. 

A quick look on lazada showed set of seals ranging from 200 to 600 thb. 

Were expecting it back any day now, and it won't be a second too soon as the stand in pump is very noisy. 

Apart from the seals, another recommendation would be to replace the bearings. Those two jobs should keep your pump working until it looks like an antique.