Thailand job losses may hit 10 mln if virus outbreak drags on

webfact

18 hours ago, rasmus5150 said:

China will come to the rescue and buy all the bankrupt businesses.

It's already starting. Failing business etc is being taken over by the Chinese. Some would call it financial aid, some would call it master-plan succeeded...

This is a very true assessment. This is why its essential for each country to improve its own supply chains, and manufacturing again. An international takeover from 1 country is a "bad thing".

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

Even if they gave me money, I would never become the owner of a condo in Pattaya or Bangkok or in a city that lives largely on tourism.
When we see how they "work" we know that we will buy sh*t that will fall apart very quickly.
Not to mention the balconies glued to the walls which are unable to support three pots of flowers.

Anyway, buying real estate in Thailand is playing the game of wholesalers of various drugs.
Most of these constructions are financed by dirty money.

No, I can't believe that. Surely it was all laundered first????

19 hours ago, eeworldwide said:

I agree to a point, but there are a huge number of jobs in the tourism industry that will not come back.

The domino effect of the pandemic will hit existing hotels so much that they wont recover without getting bailed out. If you think about the number of hotels there are in Thailand, it's simply not going to be possible for them to be bailed out unless there is a major stimulus package given out by the government. And even if that does happen, some hotels will not survive anyway because tourism is kinda screwed isn't it.  I mean, most countries are going to be focussing on resurrecting and supporting local economies rather than taking trips to exotic parts of the world. close to the origin of the virus.

agreed many hotels will have to close. don't see any other way around that one. Government won't do anything for businesses for sure.... as in labor laws only protects one side... until that changes that both sides are protected there will be nothing for the businesses....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aspaltso said:

This is a very true assessment. This is why its essential for each country to improve its own supply chains, and manufacturing again. An international takeover from 1 country is a "bad thing".

for sure we need to bring all manufacturing or as much as possible back to our own countries. Forget China they need to feel the hurt and the world should boycott them for many years and they should be held accountable to repay all the damage they have caused, period!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

Ms Lagarde used to run the IMF, she now runs the ECB, what could possibly go wrong?!????

She could be accused of "fraud" again, though she would be excused - again. The same people seem to be at the top of all the major organisations - unelected off course! ????

15 minutes ago, WizArd27 said:

for sure we need to bring all manufacturing or as much as possible back to our own countries. Forget China they need to feel the hurt and the world should boycott them for many years and they should be held accountable to repay all the damage they have caused, period!

Agree.

From now I will be reading every label to look for country of manufacture and, as much as possible, buying accordingly.

20 hours ago, CGW said:

The implications from this shut down are going to be long and lasting, seems to me not worth it.

Suicide rates are rocketing, they will be higher than the virus deaths when this is finished, the rich will prosper though, the government has "martial" law - again, so people have to behave, the vulnerable, meaning they were already ill, will die regardless!

Can you give the source for your suicide claim please?  Thailand was already highest in ASEAN but I have  not read of any increase in the rate in either the English speaking or Thai speaking media

53 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

So there we have it folks, it's Apocalypse Now! World wide anarchy and destruction, followed by a Chinese economic take over of the world and imposition of a one party world government.

So predicts the wise TVF poster whose been moving his "several GBP 100k" blocks of investment into investments he believes will offer better returns and protection in the apocalypse he predicts!

Clearly driven by jealousy in this comment. Choosing to try to take apart just one paragraph rather than to debate or rationalize those 6-7 others.

So if you had a serious amount of money where would you put it?  I began investing in the stock markets in my late 20s I m now 60 years old and I have children and grandchildren, I don't need to touch these funds as my business creates an adequate income.  So I invest my money to support my children and dependants, which will be most appreciated I hope.  And they ll need it.

Edited by 19DL86
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

Hope they have plenty savings in the bank and haven't squandered it all on big cars and smart phones.

Times are about to get tough! 

I see quite a few big cars with single drivers in Thailand. They haven't learned from the 1997 crash that good times can't last forever.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As usual its going to be the poorest in society that suffer the most from the economic downturn that is happening especially in rural areas. 

So I decided to do something about it. Today I went round Big C and bought a load of bags of rice, instant noodles and canned fish. Enough to fill the trolley.

I then gave these to the village headman and asked they be given to people who are struggling.

Its a small gesture but one that I would encourage other TV users to do. It might help counter the negative image many Thais have of Westerners.

At the very least you are making sure someone can eat for a couple of days.

• Thanks 1

Very little talk about what happens when Thais cannot pay mortgages.
The interest rate is very high i Thailand. Is it not 8%?
BOT is making very good money. Should the rate not be lowered ALOT and how will it affect the mighty Bath?

21 hours ago, eeworldwide said:

I agree to a point, but there are a huge number of jobs in the tourism industry that will not come back.

The domino effect of the pandemic will hit existing hotels so much that they wont recover without getting bailed out. If you think about the number of hotels there are in Thailand, it's simply not going to be possible for them to be bailed out unless there is a major stimulus package given out by the government. And even if that does happen, some hotels will not survive anyway because tourism is kinda screwed isn't it.  I mean, most countries are going to be focussing on resurrecting and supporting local economies rather than taking trips to exotic parts of the world. close to the origin of the virus.

especially when suspecting that the military junta downplays the numbers and lies about the true situation...what tourists will want to take the risk? Do you want to book a flight in advance for the summer when you actually don't know how the corona situation will develop globally? Will there be even a second and third wave of outbreaks? China reports a new series of infections...

22 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

So, 10 million will lose jobs (25%+ of the population) due to less than 1 days death toll on the road ? Something does not add up there or someone is not being honest somewhere about something

22 hours ago, eeworldwide said:

I have to agree. The stats are not adding up at all.
Whilst I want to believe the best about the number of cases in Thailand and the dead etc etc, it simply does not add up. And if the stats ARE true, then we really dont need curfew and all the shutdowns, right?

You completely miss the point. It has nothing to do with the number of active Covid19 cases in Thailand nor the number of dead or will die from the virus.

The whole world is in standstill situation now. Travel and tourism industry and all that is related to that is DEAD all over the world - not only in Thailand. Even if Thailand lift all restrictions to the point it was the day before the 1st case was reported - Thailand (actually pretty much every country in the world) is not an isolated, independent and self sufficient country, and the restrictions and economic crisis all over the world will still effect Thailand.

Unless more and more countries realize that there is no real way to STOP the spread of the virus, and all movement restrictions, although MIGHT slow it down a bit, will do more harm to the economies and eventually to the people all over the world, the end result from the economic downfall will be far worse than the death toll from the actual virus.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, eeworldwide said:

Or return trips to a country that penalised them for being stranded?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The deaths caused by global lockdown will far exceed the lives saved.Its economic suicide.There definitely something sinister going on.A hidden agenda.In Scotland last week there where an extra 600 deaths than the average last year.Only 280 where covid 19 so what were the rest?Suicides?People avoiding medical treatment for fear of hospitals?Cancer patients not getting treatment.Its truly terrifying.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, eeworldwide said:

I have to agree. The stats are not adding up at all.
Whilst I want to believe the best about the number of cases in Thailand and the dead etc etc, it simply does not add up. And if the stats ARE true, then we really dont need curfew and all the shutdowns, right?

the issue isnt the deaths rates from the disease in thailand or anywhere its that the medical system will get overloaded and come to stand still which will then lead to mass deaths - look at Italy where the rate is much higher tham anywhere else. so to prevent this countries need to slow down the spread and reduce the amount if cases that need medical care. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

Hope they have plenty savings in the bank and haven't squandered it all on big cars and smart phones.

Times are about to get tough! 

when money comes into  one's possession the first thing is a car. I do not posses one, but have money, A fool and the money are soon parted.

• Like 1

Well guess what its gonna drag on. That's unless Thai authorities lock down and clamp down , they are looking at a two year time line in Indonesia, so there will be a lot of Aussies having withdrawal symptoms not being able to get to Bali. They are looking at maybe 12 months before international air travel out of AU, and today Virgin Australia suspended itself on the stock exchange.

51 minutes ago, deevo666 said:

the issue isnt the deaths rates from the disease in thailand or anywhere its that the medical system will get overloaded and come to stand still which will then lead to mass deaths - look at Italy where the rate is much higher tham anywhere else. so to prevent this countries need to slow down the spread and reduce the amount if cases that need medical care. 

Great story that the mainstream media keeps running ????

I don't believe them, something far more sinister going to happen unless people stop, think for themselves and realise the the MSM is there to feed them bull ???? 

• Like 1

On 4/13/2020 at 10:13 AM, CGW said:

The implications from this shut down are going to be long and lasting, seems to me not worth it.

Suicide rates are rocketing, they will be higher than the virus deaths when this is finished, the rich will prosper though, the government has "martial" law - again, so people have to behave, the vulnerable, meaning they were already ill, will die regardless!

I have been thinking the same kind of thing. If you allowed the virus to run its course then of course millions would die worldwide but you would hit herd immunity pretty quickly. How many people are going to suffer and die if the lockdown across the world continues? In richer countries it will be easier but developing countries just do not have the money and resources to prop up the economy for any real length of time. I know this will be an emotional topic with many shouting that its not right, we should save lives at al costs,, etc. However this virus is likely to go on beyond this year and it will take masterful planning to avoid disasters in many countries. I think all we can do is say a little prayer and hope we all get through this with as little pain as possible.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2020 at 10:16 AM, RichardColeman said:

So, 10 million will lose jobs (25%+ of the population) due to less than 1 days death toll on the road ? Something does not add up there or someone is not being honest somewhere about something

i think it goes without saying the numbers are not true, they are not accurate anywhere. I suspect millions across the world are infected and tiwice as many people have probably died. The UK has over 11,000 deaths, the government made a statement they will do everything they can to keep it below 20,000 deaths. Today we have found out that 2,000 care homes have been hit with the virus. So the deaths rates (which do not include the number in the care homes) will probably be 20,000 already. I think the spread of the virus seems to be slower in hotter climates and I have read there is some evidence to support that, however it doesnt mean it is going away. I agree with you somebody should be asking the tough questions now, "are we doing more harm to the population of each country by locking them down and crashing the economies rather then letting the virus run its course?" 

in everycountry there will be many deaths of course and the healthcare systems will struggle to cope but at the moment people are gong to starve, commit suicide or find themselves homeless and unemployed. 

what a horrible situation we are all in. Stay safe, good luck to you all.

• Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

I know this will be an emotional topic with many shouting that its not right, we should save lives at al costs,, etc.

It is an emotional subject, but life does have a price, at this moment in time we are exceeding that price! https://www.rt.com/op-ed/485110-covid-19-lockdown-deaths/

As you state, the numbers are all over the place, the testing that is being done is not accurate as the tests are not accurate as stated in government literature! "The test cannot rule out diseases caused by other bacterial or viral pathogens." many things test positive for CV19, the test is not accurate enough for the ridiculous actions being taken, there are now so many involved with ulterior motives! that must be blindingly obvious to anyone!

https://www.fda.gov/media/136525/download

The biggest problem with this "shutdown" is we have a media that has become so corrupted by the corporations it works for, they no longer give us facts and truth, instead they influence our opinions with half truths & scaremongering by cherry picking what they deem we should know.

Edited by CGW
  • Like 1