Booze ban: Thailand's one million heavy drinkers face serious health and withdrawal issues

webfact

One of the sillier posts on TV. 

Hardened drinkers don't know how to get hold of booze during lockdowns? They never bought a bottle over a booze-free religious holiday?

Give me a break, these aren't supposed to be the funny pages.... 

????

11 hours ago, Joinaman said:

Not sure how this will effect the alcoholics in all the villages, seems no problem with buying beer and whiskey. Makro still selling it where i am, told people are buying and shipping it to other dry, provinces  

Some beer company just opened Nakohn , something they are shipping 

10 hours ago, stephenterry said:

The point of the ban during Songkran is to limit the amount of drunken or social parties where many people congregate and where only one infected could spread the Corona virus to the others. By encouraging self and immediate family isolation, the risk of new cases is lowered.  

Common sense, really.

But if every mom and pop shop still sells it then people can still buy it. Or they can stock up for the party by buying bulk in advance.

Do you think it's only the geniuses on ThaiVisa who have spotted these loopholes?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stephenterry said:

The point of the ban during Songkran is to limit the amount of drunken or social parties where many people congregate and where only one infected could spread the Corona virus to the others. By encouraging self and immediate family isolation, the risk of new cases is lowered.  

Common sense, really.

Until the 30th of April? Is that still Songkran? Overreacting  by government in my book. I hope Thai people remember when the vote next time.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, JonnyF said:

It is quite dangerous for a hardcore alcoholic to just stop,

According to alcoholics, who have no medical degree or education in biology, physiology or science. ????

"Quitting can be done safely and is safer than continuing to drink heavily,Dr. Richard Saitz, chair of the Department of Community Health Sciences at the Boston University School of Public Health, 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Be interesting to see how long it takes then for alchohol withdrawal related deaths to overtake the covid numbers.

But they won't.  Don't you see?  It will simply become that many more deaths recorded due to Covid. 

• Like 1

Neo-prohibition.  Ever wonder why the same people who shut the country down also are calling for prohibition is one shape or form? 

"Power is the ultimate aphrodisiac."

-Henry Kissinger

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

But if every mom and pop shop still sells it then people can still buy it.

How much stock do you reckon a "Mom & Pop" store carries? Months, years or a few days at best?

A million heavy drinkers? Sounds like thats just Pattaya alone. Ive been in Thailand a long time, and have travelled all over. Every place iv'e been to has had many heavy drinkers. 1 million seems a low figure. But yes they will suffer.

2 hours ago, Thunder26 said:

Until the 30th of April? Is that still Songkran? Overreacting  by government in my book. I hope Thai people remember when the vote next time.

Vote? Thailand? The opposition party was just abolished, it's a military dictatorship. Has been since they took over.

3 hours ago, Mayhem11 said:

It is amazing how the teetotallers dominate a story like this. Give it a rest wowsers.

It's amazing how alcoholics who can't give up alcohol EVEN FOR 10 SHORT DAYS think everyone should be as weak and unhealthy as they are. ????

BTW, I've drank 6 drinks in the past 4 months, so I'm not a "teetotaler", just someone who is a MASTER OF MY OWN BODY and who isn't a DUMB SELF-INDULGENT SLAVE to alcohol. ????

Edited by SiSePuede419

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Of these about 5-10% or up to 100,000 people have severe alcoholism, she told PPTV.

100,000 divided by 76 provinces = 1,315 in each province on average.. I'd say that was very conservative.

10 hours ago, connda said:

But they won't.  Don't you see?  It will simply become that many more deaths recorded due to Covid. 

Arguments to suit the agenda.

Isn't it the case, as been voiced by many, that deaths are so low due to lack of testing and only positive cases are recorded.

The ONS in UK has just released the figures for the first week of April. Statistics indicate that since records began in 2005 that the average death toll for that particular week would be in the order of 10,000.

This year the figure is over 16,000, with about 3,500 being recorded as covid-19 there is around 2,500 deaths in one week over the normal average.

Due to covid-19 or not? Something that will never be proved one way or another.

The provisional number of deaths registered in England and Wales in the week ending 3 April 2020 (Week 14) was 16,387; this represents an increase of 5,246 deaths registered compared with the previous week (Week 13) and 6,082 more than the five-year average.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregisteredweeklyinenglandandwalesprovisional/weekending3april2020

On 4/14/2020 at 9:44 AM, CraigInBangkok said:

Not a big drinker myself but surely all the "hardcore alcoholics" had plenty of time to stock up. It was'nt like they could'nt see it coming

But not got the money to buy more than they need for that day?

15 hours ago, JonnyF said:

But if every mom and pop shop still sells it then people can still buy it. Or they can stock up for the party by buying bulk in advance.

Do you think it's only the geniuses on ThaiVisa who have spotted these loopholes?

It's a deterrent for law abiding people, and those who accept that social gatherings - booze or not - could lead to an increased infection rate, especially during the songkran period which is the whole point of the ban. If people choose to ignore what the government is recommending we'll probably be in limbo for another few months. 

9 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

The Rayong/Chonburi border is going to be a riot tomorrow morning if Rayong restarts alcohol sales as promised.

Only with police checking Chonburi registered cars for Alcohol!

On 4/14/2020 at 9:46 AM, cyril sneer said:

The ban is only for western style stores, people will just buy it elsewhere

It will have zero effect on alcoholics, only the increased consumption from bulk buying days before 

I'm sure the country folk will be drinkin' their Laos Khao... Home made Hooch.

• Like 1