Pattaya Lockdown and major food stores

thaiden1

4 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

I see the same idiots every day, walking at the beach and refusing to wear masks. 90% of the people on some occasions refusing to wear a mask and not understanding the meaning of social distancing.

Yep, I had a stroll along the Jomtien beach walkway yesterday afternoon and was surprised to see so many people not wearing face masks. Around 25% of Thais had no mask, while another 25% had it pulled down around their chin or neck. The proportion of farangs without a mask or not wearing it properly was about the same. Crazy when there's so many people now walking and jogging along there, while the beach remains almost completely empty. At the moment you'd be far safer on the beach than on that walkway, and sod their threats of fines, I suspect they're going to be far too busy manning the new checkpoints on Sukhumvit to worry about the beach.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, treetops said:

I agree, thy are all very poor at giving comprehensive, up to date  information. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, petermik said:

Good luck with that jimn.....:thumbsup:

Well I obviously have very good luck. The checkpoints are up and running trailing the process. My wife and I drove up to checkpoint 7, it was relatively busy. We used lane 4 and showed copies of wifes ID card and my Thai driving licence, enlarged to A4 size as requested. We were checked through very quickly in less than 10 seconds. I expected nothing else as Banglamung resisents. By the way we went shopping in Macro as we are allowed to do so despite all the posts saying otherwise.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Your post is intersting but i wonder what is the link with the topic

'' Pattaya lockdown and major food stores'' ??

Pertains to the lockdown and immigration being cut off, I was just responding to a poster worried about extending his visa as I was in the same situation.  As far as food shopping goes, people might actually have to go without a few things for a couple weeks.  I beg your pardon, I'm new, I'll try to stay on topic.

3 hours ago, Schlepenstein said:

Pertains to the lockdown and immigration being cut off, I was just responding to a poster worried about extending his visa as I was in the same situation.  As far as food shopping goes, people might actually have to go without a few things for a couple weeks.  I beg your pardon, I'm new, I'll try to stay on topic.

Don't worry

there are a lot of posts so sometimes it's hard to find

the good informations if evrybody go too far out of the topic

welcome on board and keep posting

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jomtienisgood said:

Plenty of them in BKK????

What is your point? People are looking for places to shop with road blocks preventing them going into central Pattaya. The place I suggest is easily accessed down a major 6 lane part of Sukhumvit... people from the darkside can come down the Railway line Rd and experience a single set of traffic lights before arriving at this mall. It is closer to me than Siambury's. Also far larger than that little place behind Numchai. (It was also cheaper than the other Tescos).

Edited by jacko45k

On 4/14/2020 at 10:35 AM, johng said:

Yes but the big C & Macro really suck compared to Pattaya we live in Bang Saray & there is no comparison of the selection of Farang comforts in the 2 places going to Sattahib.  Sattahib caters way more to Thais but if your in a pinch it would work, but it is worlds apart in selection & Big C's bread really sucks.

• Like 1

We live at the very end of Na Jomtien (near Pu Pen) and therefore believe we are living WITHIN the lockdown zone. Correct ? I have not seen a fully transparent map so far.

Soon we need to shop at Big C Extra Pattaya Klang and Fascino North Road and if possible Central Festival.

I understand that only Sukhumvit can be used to enter the city for Thepprasit is closed as per report on Television. To get to Sukhumvit and to the center we would normally drive up Soi 4 Na Jomtien entering Sukhumvit near the now closed Elephant Camp.

However it is not entirely clear how we need to drive to get to the stores (probably very easy, no checkpoints to pass ??) but then I am more concerned how to get back (probably passing checkpoints) and what documentation we would need to carry if any (My wife is Thai, I am retired, rented Condo in my name, we both have Thai DL, TM30 for me)

Maybe someone living on Na Jomtien has already some experience how this is working out. Thanks for sharing.

2 hours ago, moogradod said:

We live at the very end of Na Jomtien (near Pu Pen) and therefore believe we are living WITHIN the lockdown zone. Correct ? I have not seen a fully transparent map so far.

Soon we need to shop at Big C Extra Pattaya Klang and Fascino North Road and if possible Central Festival.

I understand that only Sukhumvit can be used to enter the city for Thepprasit is closed as per report on Television. To get to Sukhumvit and to the center we would normally drive up Soi 4 Na Jomtien entering Sukhumvit near the now closed Elephant Camp.

However it is not entirely clear how we need to drive to get to the stores (probably very easy, no checkpoints to pass ??) but then I am more concerned how to get back (probably passing checkpoints) and what documentation we would need to carry if any (My wife is Thai, I am retired, rented Condo in my name, we both have Thai DL, TM30 for me)

Maybe someone living on Na Jomtien has already some experience how this is working out. Thanks for sharing.

Try the back sois until Jomtien 2nd Rd then up & into Pattaya, no roadblocks at all inside Pattaya

2 hours ago, moogradod said:

I understand that only Sukhumvit can be used to enter the city for Thepprasit is closed as per report on Television.

Threpprasit is really closed?

Can you not just go along the beach Road (whatever it is called there), until you hit second then up Tharappia (spelling) and then turn right on Third Road to go to Big C Extra or straight on to Central? 

Traffic is so light if not quicker is more direct. 

• Like 1

On the map of checkpoints Thepprasit is open & there is a checkpoint Southbound that you have to go through to enter it, if you're Northbound approaching Thepprasit on the Suk then you either live inside the blockade or you would have gone through 8.

Moog, I believe that you are inside the zone, you are where they make the soylent green so be careful ????

• Like 2

2 hours ago, topt said:

Can you not just go along the beach Road (whatever it is called there), until you hit second then up Tharappia (spelling) and then turn right on Third Road to go to Big C Extra or straight on to Central?

That is exactly the question. It looks a bit that they try to direct everyone to Sukhumvit where the checkpoints are regardless of in- or outbound. They might close all small sois in between.

And it is not only a question of getting to the shopping malls but as well of how to return home. Would be nice to know instead of trying and possibly get stuck somewhere at the end of a one way street but no map available which clearly shows where you can go and where you cannot.

Still have stock of food for quite some time though but who knows how long this will really last.

1 minute ago, moogradod said:

That is exactly the question. It looks a bit that they try to direct everyone to Sukhumvit where the checkpoints are regardless of in- or outbound. They might close all small sois in between.

And it is not only a question of getting to the shopping malls but as well of how to return home. Would be nice to know instead of trying and possibly get stuck somewhere at the end of a one way street but no map available which clearly shows where you can go and where you cannot.

Still have stock of food for quite some time though but who knows how long this will really last.

if you get on Suk northbound then my understanding is there are no checkpoints to go through until you try to leave Pattaya?

As @SidJames said you are inside the zone so should not be an issue. Go the way I suggested and no issues whatsoever - there and back.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SidJames said:

On the map of checkpoints Thepprasit is open & there is a checkpoint Southbound that you have to go through to enter it, if you're Northbound approaching Thepprasit on the Suk then you either live inside the blockade or you would have gone through 8.

Moog, I believe that you are inside the zone, you are where they make the soylent green so be careful ????

We are north of checkpoint 8, and therefore inside the zone (I believe) but it is as well a question of how to return and if they would close all small sois directing one to Suk all the time. This would mean I would have to pass a checkpoint when returning home. Might as well use the old procedure having a copy of as much as possible. If you then wave with all that stuff I suspect I might be waived through - maybe. Must be possible to make shopping - especially in Fascino as well !

As for the soylent green: If unlucky I might end up as such - but then again someone has to eat it. So it is not only me who should beware ????

17 minutes ago, topt said:

if you get on Suk northbound then my understanding is there are no checkpoints to go through until you try to leave Pattaya?

As @SidJames said you are inside the zone so should not be an issue. Go the way I suggested and no issues whatsoever - there and back.

Sounds good. The mist slowly disappears. Looks like we are lucky. I will try it out and for security bring along a pile of photocopies of "everything".

Everybody take care not to contract the virus ! And happy shopping to everyone.

As far as I know Na Jomtien is a part of Sattahip not Banglamung. To get into Pattaya the first check is the intersection going to Jomtien Beach. I did this trip yesterday traveling north on Sukhumvit from Bang Saray, I showed my Thai pink Id that state that I reside in Banglamung, a temperature check so no problems going into Pattaya but many cars was refused and had to turn , but you could give it a try I think by now it would ease up. Good luck , otherwise east of Sukhumvit is open to everyone. You could travel along with the railway and do your shopping on the East Side...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, spetersen said:

.........To get into Pattaya the first check is the intersection going to Jomtien Beach..........

Do you mean by that checkpoint 8 ? If yes then we are behind if entering from the south and may most probably proceed to enter the city without check.

Hello

We live in Najomtien (close to Prosecutor office) and have been refused access to Pattaya one hour ago at Chaiyapruek check point.. They say Najomtien belongs to Sattahip and not Pattaya

Is Big C open in Sattahip as it is reported to be closed on internet

Thank you

Have a nice day

Meanwhile on the Darkside - first trip out of the house in 11 days. Went to Tops at The Chill on soi Khao Noi.

The staff outnumbered the customers. They weren't bothering to do temperature checks at the door. There is a guy in a wheelchair trying to sell 1 April lottery tickets for a draw that won't happen until 16 May (or later if they keep postponing it) !

The shelves are full of stuff. The aisles are full of stuff.
Lots of meats and dairy products as well as fruits and vegetables.

In fact, other than the staff wearing masks, the only thing different seems to be that they have more stuff cluttering the aisle that runs parallel to the dairy fridges. 

Yeah I know. It's not "Big C" or Foodland or Makro or Friendship but if you can't find enough stuff in there to get by on until this "lockdown" ends, then you've got a problem.

Also keep in mind that you can still get to the Villa store at the Little Walk plaza and there are a couple of (mid-sized) Tescos available in addition to smaller shops like Siamburi's on Khao Talo and Siam Expat Foods on Siam Country Club.

Really not much need to go into Pattaya at all actually. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Meanwhile on the Darkside - first trip out of the house in 11 days. Went to Tops at The Chill on soi Khao Noi.

The staff outnumbered the customers. They weren't bothering to do temperature checks at the door. There is a guy in a wheelchair trying to sell 1 April lottery tickets for a draw that won't happen until 16 May (or later if they keep postponing it) !

The shelves are full of stuff. The aisles are full of stuff.
Lots of meats and dairy products as well as fruits and vegetables.

In fact, other than the staff wearing masks, the only thing different seems to be that they have more stuff cluttering the aisle that runs parallel to the dairy fridges. 

Yeah I know. It's not "Big C" or Foodland or Makro or Friendship but if you can't find enough stuff in there to get by on until this "lockdown" ends, then you've got a problem.

Also keep in mind that you can still get to the Villa store at the Little Walk plaza and there are a couple of (mid-sized) Tescos available in addition to smaller shops like Siamburi's on Khao Talo and Siam Expat Foods on Siam Country Club.

Really not much need to go into Pattaya at all actually. 

I shop regularly ( usually twice a week) at Tops (The Chill) and Fresh Market (Soi Siam). Last week, on Thursday and Saturday, respectively, I found pretty much the same thing as KerryD. What does concern me here on the Darkside is that most shops, regardless of what they sell, remain open. Traffic, especially motorbikes, is not significantly lower than the pre-C19 days. Most people (Thai and farang) are wearing masks. But true social distancing is not taking place. With all of that activity, I see no increase in police presence on this side of the tracks. 

6 minutes ago, patsfangr said:

But true social distancing is not taking place. With all of that activity, I see no increase in police presence on this side of the tracks. 

And neither is there a reported increase in infections, in fact I'm not aware of any reported infections on the dark side. Something to think about

1 minute ago, Susco said:

And neither is there a reported increase in infections, in fact I'm not aware of any reported infections on the dark side. Something to think about

Yes, what I'm thinking about is the question of whether on not they're separately identifying the Darkside from the west side. I've seen no evidence of that either way. 

On 4/15/2020 at 11:28 AM, patsfangr said:

But ... aren't they blocking ENTRANCE, and NOT EXIT? Doesn't the latter make more sense if "farangs in Central Pattaya" are the most infected??????

Yes, they are. After my trip into Pattaya yesterday I saw that Pattaya City and its people are protected by check points from those coming in from Nongprue/Banglamung and elsewhere but the reverse is not true. Pattayans are free to travel into the outer Banglamung area without any such checks. Therefore, if Pattaya was the only area with infectious people then they could spread this virus into the rest of a virus-free Banglamung relatively easily. This type of discrimination is unfair, unhealthy and increases risk at a time when mitigation measures, if used, should protect everyone.  

Edited by nauseus
  • Like 1