Pattaya Lockdown and major food stores

thaiden1

35 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

It would be helpful for the authorities to actually confirm what the hell is going on, when this will start and the precise parameters. What I saw this morning looks like blocks on Sukhumvit rather than as had been suggested part way down the major East to West main roads. It seems the darkside will be the ones cut off from every major food store.

There is a depth of stupidity and incompetence behind all of this that is quite staggering.

Isn't there a Villa Market, and another super market on Soi Siam Country Club Road at the Darkside?

Also a Villa at Little Walk.

• Confused 4

The "plan" has changed a couple of times and now it seems they've settle on using Sukhumvit as the divide between East/West Pattaya, which unfortunately does cut off most of the big stores from the Darkside, especially as most of the checkpoints are on the same roads as the big stores (Thepprasit and the South/Central/North Pattaya Roads) !

However, there is still Villa Market at the Little Walk, which can be accessed from the Darkside using the side road that turns off of Siam Country Club and runs along the Railway bypass road (lots of speed bumps and they aren't painted).
(https://www.google.co.th/maps/dir/Villa+Market/12.934796,100.906314/@12.9370173,100.9071047,17z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m5!1m1!1s0x3102951dc3cfdc29:0x5b222cb5607769b9!2m2!1d100.9044001!2d12.9356429!1m0!3e0?hl=en)

I see there is a (smallish) Tesco near there as well, located one soi over from Siam Country Club on a little side soi. (https://www.google.co.th/maps/dir/Tesco+Lotus/12.934796,100.906314/@12.933779,100.9046935,17.87z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m5!1m1!1s0x310295f0bb93c95d:0xe9c8d22fd2faf86e!2m2!1d100.9037152!2d12.9339553!1m0!3e0?hl=en)

As well, there is the (smallish) Tops Market at the Chill "mall" on Soi Khao Noi (up about 700 meters from the railway crossing intersection).

On Soi Chaiyapruek, a couple hundred meters above the railway crossing, is a (smallish) Tesco. Bigger than the little "mini mart" types but not as large as the main store.

Also, up soi Khao Talo (past Wat Khao Noi) there is Siamburis. Smaller than the average 7-11 but more food choices (mostly UK/"Western" stuff).

On Siam Country Club, next to Noi's Bistro, is a small shophouse store called Siam Expats. It's a shophouse so it's not very big. They mostly stock "Brit" food stuffs and Aussie meats. A selection of canned goods, a few freezers of frozen meats and pies and a couple of fridges of dairy stuff (cheeses and butter). Shelves were starting to look a little bare the last time I was there (5 days ago).

Many of the big stores also do online shopping and delivery too. Last time I was at Big C Extra (Central Pattaya) there was a whack of Grab riders sitting in the parkade waiting for orders and the last time I was in Macro they had a dozen shopping carts lined up in a row by the freezers and each of them had an assortment of grocery items in them (and I noticed staff walking through the aisles looking at lists and picking things off the shelves).

• Thanks 1

It seems that the distribution of police roadblocks will make either the Darksiders or the Brightsiders unhappy. As a Brightsider I'm happy with roadblocks being on Sukhumvit (rather than on the main roads further towards the beach).

16 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

I have issues with the idea that there is an outbreak anywhere in Pattaya involving foreigners.
As the covid tracker shows, there are hardly any cases in Pattaya at all and most of the suspected cases are well over 14 days old.

https://covidtracker.5lab.co/en

And I'm sure most people would have noticed any recent news stories about "foreigners" with covid in Pattaya about as quickly as they'd notice being slapped in the face with a frozen tuna wielded by an angry midget ladyboy.

If I recall, the reason for "locking down" Pattaya initially was to keep "outsiders" (people from Bangkok, other provinces and the surrounding areas) from coming into Pattaya (and possibly bringing the virus with them).

That was why the initial roadblocks were set up to prevent traffic travelling along Sukhumvit, highway 36 or highway 7 from getting into the city. Those barricades came down when it became obvious they hadn't planned for the amount of traffic and couldn't effectively reroute it all.

The next plan was going to be to lock down a portion of the central part of Pattaya, between South and North Pattaya roads and from soi Arunothai/Khor Pai to the beach.
That plan was supposedly because there were (2,000 in one article and 2,800 in another) tourists in that area and they were worried about a possible outbreak. Pretty stupid as by that point it was unlikely that anyone there was a recent arrival anyways and it would have been far quicker, easier and cheaper to simply go and test all those tourists (that they seemed to be sure were all located in that small area).
(Not to mention that there hasn't been any reports of any infections in Pattaya for a couple of weeks now.)

That plan was also whacked as there were far to many ways to get in/out of the area and probably too difficult to try and block them all.
Too bad, as that plan would have left a number of the big stores open for Darksiders to access.

The current plan is to use Sukhumvit as the barrier between East and West Pattaya. The big difference with the current plan is that they will have more room for traffic and a better system for turning vehicles back the way they came, unlike when they tried it on the railway bypass a few days ago.

Unfortunately, people on the east side of the highway are now blocked off from the big stores, but can still use online orders and delivery services if need be.

Just recently a Russian family returned to Pattaya from Phuket with COVID, one of them being a real estate agent who visited the land office and her 48 year old husband has died now from COVID. I believe this and a few other confirmed COVID cases of foreigners are some of what triggered these measures

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

Just recently a Russian family returned to Pattaya from Phuket with COVID, one of them being a real estate agent who visited the land office and her 48 year old husband has died now from COVID. I believe this and a few other confirmed COVID cases of foreigners are some of what triggered these measures

I found a snip of an article about the Russian. They visited Phuket for a couple of days around 18-21 March. It says "he felt sick on the 22nd and they returned to Pattaya". 

The news report was 6 days ago and it seems the guy died on 5 April.
It also said he went to a hospital "in Chon Buri province" but wasn't admitted. No mention of where he lived in Pattaya.
No mention either about the rest of the family (and it doesn't appear on the covid tracker which apparently isn't that good).

The other 2 foreigners were an Indian that died in Bangkok and an American in Buriram. 

28 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

I found a snip of an article about the Russian. They visited Phuket for a couple of days around 18-21 March. It says "he felt sick on the 22nd and they returned to Pattaya". 

The news report was 6 days ago and it seems the guy died on 5 April.
It also said he went to a hospital "in Chon Buri province" but wasn't admitted. No mention of where he lived in Pattaya.
No mention either about the rest of the family (and it doesn't appear on the covid tracker which apparently isn't that good).

The other 2 foreigners were an Indian that died in Bangkok and an American in Buriram. 

She writes about it, often; 

• Thanks 2

I don't quite understand who can access the large food stores actually on Sukhumvit if there are road blocks on Sukhumvit. I am particularly thinking of Tesco and Big C in Pattaya Tai. Once you go on Sukhumvit road from Jomtien to go to one of these stores will you need all your documentation to get back into the enclosed areas or will it be possible to access them from Theprassit via the discount store complex and from Pattaya Tai round the back of Big C. I don't know exactly which sois will be open. For the time being I will probably go to one of the stores in the lockdown area rather than get caught out or stuck in a queue.

Why are they even doing this tighter lockdown when another news item is talking about easing restrictions?  Pattaya residents seem to be following the current lockdown rules very well and I don't see the need to tighten them.  My partner and I have shopped for food several times at Big C Marina and it is managed very well already--temperature taken, social distancing being maintained, and not many shoppers in the store.  Let's start thinking about easing things--like allowing walks on the beach with social distancing--rather than making things more restrictive. 

• Like 1

There is complete misunderstanding about not being able to access shops from the Darkside. I will go shopping with my wife on Friday and fully expect to be able to do so. We will go through the checkpoint in lane 4 and will show A4 size copies of my wifes ID card and my paasport and driving licence showing our Banglamung address. If we do this the information says that there will be a quick temperature check and lane 4 will be processed quickly just like Mpass on the motorway.

Edited by jimn
  • Like 1

I have not seen anything that says you can not go to the grocery store .Today is Wednesday and at 3 pm they will begin a practice run until 6 pm. The real lockdown is to begin Thursday at I believe is 2 pm .Go get some supplies for a few days.

There is a Tesco located behind Numchia appliance store along with  plenty of Tesco mini and Big C mini on the dark side. Let's not forget about the Wonderful 7-11 's.  Lol

7 hours ago, jimn said:

If we do this the information says that there will be a quick temperature check and lane 4 will be processed quickly just like Mpass on the motorway.

Good luck with that jimn.....:thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Jingthing said:

If you say so. Just reporting what I read. It also stated that farangs would be randomly investigated for health screening. Obviously that implies something more than being temperatured going into a market. 

Perhaps we'll get a free test and save 5000 baht????

23 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Was in Tesco N Pattaya yesterday ,very very quiet and no lockdown ,shelves all full ,no shortages that i could see ,also the car park was half empty . the wife got four face masks for 10 baht ,so did i ,had to Q and sign for them ,with our id card nos and names . last week in villa just handed over ,did not have to sign ,

Aren't we supposed to wear a new one every day?

• Confused 1