Global reaction to Trump withdrawing WHO funding

webfact

1 hour ago, candide said:

So you think that they should not pass information given by the only available source of information at that time? Wouldn't people complain they hide critical information to other member states?

But they did not "pass on" information. They took the information and uncritically stated it like fact without so much as an asterisk or notation that its yet to be confirmed by the WHO or anyone else. 

• Like 2

Some posts containing inflammatory comments toward other members have been removed as well as the replies:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

A post in which the quoted content had been altered and the ensuing bickering session have been removed:

16) You will not make changes to quoted material from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. This cannot be done in such a manner that it alters the context of the original post.

14 hours ago, Crazy Alex said:

Thanks for pointing out what a low infection rate the US has. Thank you, president Trump! Cuomo and de Blasio? Not so much.

Statistics are amazing aren't they.
Everybody can read what they want and if one does not like it can say the data are not correct.
let's do another sorting of yesterday's data: 

image.png.122116a0d402c65f6029510adeb64e9e.png

Have to add that there seems to be a significant correlation between population density and Total Cases per million (about .58 if counting pop>1.000.000 and without normalising the data in the table) and hence huge differences in top 10 countries by population.
Logical actually, big cities are (a) more prone to transmission and moreover are (b) likely to have higher testing and (c ) higher case numbers / million and therefore seem to be harder hit than the country side.
So, one could say that the USA does a good job at identifying cases but is not up to scratch with other "developed" countries yet.
In this context It would be interesting to get a more detailed overview of the USA and analyse pop/km2 to cases/million. 

Edited by KKr
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, KKr said:

Statistics are amazing aren't they.
Everybody can read what they want and if one does not like it can say the data are not correct.
let's do another sorting of yesterday's data: 

image.png.122116a0d402c65f6029510adeb64e9e.png

Have to add that there seems to be a significant correlation between population density and Total Cases per million (about .58 if counting pop>1.000.000 and without normalising the data in the table) and hence huge differences in top 10 countries by population.
Logical actually, big cities are (a) more prone to transmission and moreover are (b) likely to have higher testing and (c ) higher case numbers / million and therefore seem to be harder hit than the country side.
So, one could say that the USA does a good job at identifying cases but is not up to scratch with other "developed" countries yet.
In this context It would be interesting to get a more detailed overview of the USA and analyse pop/km2 to cases/million. 

forget about the second paragraph, on the country level data, there seems to be a correlation between population density and cases/million but not significant.
would need more detailed data to proof this assumption, and in which subset of cases the result is significant.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KKr said:

I've also looked at the population density factor. I got some interesting results (in particular since Sweden is claimed to be managing the pandemic in such wonderful way).

806205636_Screenshot2020-04-19at07_45_50.thumb.png.dc5b4381227a97202a163e224b65f731.png

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Forethat said:

I've also looked at the population density factor. I got some interesting results (in particular since Sweden is claimed to be managing the pandemic in such wonderful way).

806205636_Screenshot2020-04-19at07_45_50.thumb.png.dc5b4381227a97202a163e224b65f731.png

2 minutes ago, Forethat said:

seems like the neighbours closing the borders protected the Swedes, but the virus seems to have travelled anyway and is catching up.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, KKr said:

seems like the neighbours closing the borders protected the Swedes, but the virus seems to have travelled anyway and is catching up.

Don't know if they were protected as in this category Sweden is the worst performing country in the world. At least I can't find one that's worse...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

But they did not "pass on" information. They took the information and uncritically stated it like fact without so much as an asterisk or notation that its yet to be confirmed by the WHO or anyone else. 

They clearly indicated the source (China), that there were only preliminary investigations and "no clear evidence" 

They also made their OWN statements during the same period of time, indicating that investigations were still ongoing and that human to human transmission was not excluded.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/09/who-cited-human-transmission-risk-in-january-despite-trump-claims

https://www.voanews.com/science-health/who-does-not-rule-out-human-human-spread-new-coronavirus

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

Meh... this clown Ricciardi promoting violent rhetoric against any president, let alone the US president, is grounds alone to defund them.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/04/update-former-italian-deputy-prime-minister-matteo-salvini-calls-top-officials-resignation-violent-threats-trump/

Because trump has never advocated violence right?

remember when at a rally he said that he would pay the legal fees of anyone who assaulted a protester. Remember when he said police should not protect the head of an arrested person when throwing them into a police car. Remember what he said about the central park five.

Any need to go on?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Because trump has never advocated violence right?

remember when at a rally he said that he would pay the legal fees of anyone who assaulted a protester. Remember when he said police should not protect the head of an arrested person when throwing them into a police car. Remember what he said about the central park five.

Any need to go on?

Hi Sujo,

I'm not a supporter of President Trump, far from it, but you should provide links to credible sources when making such allegations.

I would be interested to read more about these matters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Hi Sujo,

I'm not a supporter of President Trump, far from it, but you should provide links to credible sources when making such allegations.

I would be interested to read more about these matters.

Apologies, my bad. Quite easy to find with a simple search. Here is just one of the many reports about him.

please note that when his supporter was charged with assault trump said he never said he would pay. No surprise.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/back-trump-comments-perceived-encouraging-violence/story?id=48415766

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chrisandsu said:

Please note that the border was being proposed to be shut due to illnesses that had been all but eradicated suddenly exploding (measles for example) but the left fought that too ! The funniest part is they are now saying the border should of been shut quicker !! ???????? you honestly couldn’t make it up .  

The muslim ban and those rapists from mexico had measles. Ok. ????

• Confused 2