Roadblock Watch

SidJames

Can I come down the railway line road, then Soi Siam CC road towards Sukhumvit? My aim is to go the the end and go right at the lights (onto Suk Northbound), or left and then the U-Turn, again to get on Suk Northbound? (Or better to cut through and pop out between Bangkok Bank and Numchai?).

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Can I come down the railway line road, then Soi Siam CC road towards Sukhumvit? My aim is to go the the end and go right at the lights (onto Suk Northbound), or left and then the U-Turn, again to get on Suk Northbound? (Or better to cut through and pop out between Bangkok Bank and Numchai?).

I'd say no as I can't see them not blocking that intersection off. It would defeat the purpose of people could just turn North onto Suk at that point and then left into Pattaya on one of 8 (or more) sois before reaching North Pattaya Road. In fact, they could turn into Pattaya on North Pattaya road as well once they are on Sukhumvit heading north as they aren't stopping traffic on that side of the highway.

On the diagrams they show other turning lanes (like the one for Highway 7 traffic to turn right (Northbound) onto the Suk) as being blocked off. Can't see them blocking that turn off but not the one at Siam CC.

C-3.jpg.bbe189f69e2919263f8943823861c9d8.jpg

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Yes you can, but you have to head south before you can do a uturn and head back north.... just the usual ????

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

I'd say no as I can't see them not blocking that intersection off.

Just got back and thought I would update you on this...

There was a police check on the Railway line bypass Rd going South under the Hwy 7 flyover... not sure if it is part of Pattaya Blocks or regular aggravation... pretty quick, accepted licence copies but had to ask if my address was in the area. You are correct, no right turn out of Soi Siam CC onto Suk South, blocked, but can go left. Easier, cut through by Numchai/ Bangkok Bank/Tesco and straight out no problem... traffic backed up to about there... I wanted to get over to the right and those Bangkok sods won't let you in. Temperature check and take the U-Turn, easy peasy.

Thx for your input.

49 minutes ago, AtlasAus said:

Yes you can, but you have to head south before you can do a uturn and head back north.... just the usual ????

Yes, Iook the U-Turn just before Klang, it is open and easy.

Edited by jacko45k

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

No right turn (or was last time I did it). Turn left and then move over right if you want Sukhumvit north bound. There is a checkpoint before Pattaya Klang, after which there is a u turn to backtrack on Sukhumvit, or right turn to go into Klang.. 

Edited by nauseus
  • Thanks 1

I haven't read all posts in this thread but would just like to ask if it's possible for me who live off Thepprasit to drive my car to Macro on Suk and back without some form of special permit?

Is it enough to have copies of my DL (both sides) displayed in the window?

11 minutes ago, Inderpland said:

I haven't read all posts in this thread but would just like to ask if it's possible for me who live off Thepprasit to drive my car to Macro on Suk and back without some form of special permit?

In theory you should be able to, depending on how you go. You say "off Thepprasit". Looking at the map, there's a number of "back soi" routes that would get you to the Suk on the other side of Makro, you'd then turn left, go to Makro, turn left when you leave and drive down to Thepprasit and turn left again.

They shouldn't be blocked off as far as I know. Even if you went to soi Boon Kanchana and turned left it shouldn't be a problem as the checkpoint would be on the other side of the Suk to control traffic trying to turn onto that road, not traffic coming out of it.

See the first diagram, traffic turning towards Makro isn't controlled. Then note the second diagram, traffic coming from Makro (which would be above the top of the diagram) and then turning left onto Thepprasit isn't controlled either.

C-7.jpg.ed7a2b125511c3a1f7ffbed1d580e1bf.jpg   
C-6.jpg.5a2d89dbf46de0e2ac5a32d99c573d5d.jpg

36 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

In theory you should be able to, depending on how you go. You say "off Thepprasit". Looking at the map, there's a number of "back soi" routes that would get you to the Suk on the other side of Makro, you'd then turn left, go to Makro, turn left when you leave and drive down to Thepprasit and turn left again.

They shouldn't be blocked off as far as I know. Even if you went to soi Boon Kanchana and turned left it shouldn't be a problem as the checkpoint would be on the other side of the Suk to control traffic trying to turn onto that road, not traffic coming out of it.

See the first diagram, traffic turning towards Makro isn't controlled. Then note the second diagram, traffic coming from Makro (which would be above the top of the diagram) and then turning left onto Thepprasit isn't controlled either.

C-7.jpg.ed7a2b125511c3a1f7ffbed1d580e1bf.jpg   
C-6.jpg.5a2d89dbf46de0e2ac5a32d99c573d5d.jpg

OK, that looks pretty straight forward but if I should somehow hit a road block will I be able to get back in just by verifying that I am indeed a resident of Pattaya (DL, yellow house book, passport)?

1 minute ago, Inderpland said:

OK, that looks pretty straight forward but if I should somehow hit a road block will I be able to get back in just by verifying that I am indeed a resident of Pattaya (DL, yellow house book, passport)?

As far as has been reported by others, yes. It seems the preferred method is to have an A4 sized photocopy of your DL (and Passport) on the dash of your car (just in case) but you should be fine.
Lot of people going through the checkpoints everyday without problem (so far) !

1 hour ago, Xaos said:

U can go anywhere with taxi cab, they get u through anywhere. 

Which of course completely contradicts the whole point of those checkpoints which kind of goes to show that they really are only for show

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Inderpland said:

If you are near Jomtien end you could  go from Thep to Jomtien 2nd Rd and then up Soi Wat Bun - Makro - then back into Thep again. A bit of a big circuit but all with left turns and no checks as far as I know. They weren't even checking temps today. From the map looks like you can also go into Thep Soi 9 and link into Wat Bun Soi 2 and go that way for a shorter cut of the above but I'm not too familiar with the small roads there. 

Is nobody surprised that now that there is communication that Bangkok and the country altogether will gradually open up to some degree, there is still no talk of Pattaya opening up or removing the blockade of the city.

To my mind this city has had less cases than other places, it is definitely not a hot spot like Bangkok, yet the measures are strict, even overstrict, and there is no talk of opening fitness centers here again like in Bangkok, and the beaches like the parks in Bangkok, and above all the roadblocks.

Any ideas why there is this specifically tough treatment of Pattaya, and when that will improve? 

Edited by inwardglee

7 hours ago, inwardglee said:

Is nobody surprised that now that there is communication that Bangkok and the country altogether will gradually open up to some degree, there is still no talk of Pattaya opening up or removing the blockade of the city.

To my mind this city has had less cases than other places, it is definitely not a hot spot like Bangkok, yet the measures are strict, even overstrict, and there is no talk of opening fitness centers here again like in Bangkok, and the beaches like the parks in Bangkok, and above all the roadblocks.

Any ideas why there is this specifically tough treatment of Pattaya, and when that will improve? 

I read that the checkpoints will be dismantled today (unofficial)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, nauseus said:

If you are near Jomtien end you could  go from Thep to Jomtien 2nd Rd and then up Soi Wat Bun - Makro - then back into Thep again. A bit of a big circuit but all with left turns and no checks as far as I know. They weren't even checking temps today. From the map looks like you can also go into Thep Soi 9 and link into Wat Bun Soi 2 and go that way for a shorter cut of the above but I'm not too familiar with the small roads there. 

You're welcome, I'm sure.

18 hours ago, SidJames said:

Which of course completely contradicts the whole point of those checkpoints which kind of goes to show that they really are only for show

All depends what the intention of the roadblocks are, how you measure success. Maybe there is a bigger picture.

If the intention was to keep 'Dark siders' who know all the short cuts out of Pattaya then you'd be correct.

If the intention was to dissuade people traveling from Bangkok /other provinces to Pattaya, that they put off their trips after hearing about the 'blockade' and seeing the photos then maybe it worked.

Edited by sungod

14 hours ago, inwardglee said:

Bangkok just delayed any openings...and said "no" to 2 day alcohol selling too.

It seems that Thais can drive in and out unhindered, Sukhumvit road is busy. - Are there any farangs here that have tried to pass a checkpoint? What are the proceedings with farangs, would they also be waved through like Thais? (Sorry if this has been covered before, I have just just read through diagonally ...)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, inwardglee said:

It seems that Thais can drive in and out unhindered, Sukhumvit road is busy. - Are there any farangs here that have tried to pass a checkpoint? What are the proceedings with farangs, would they also be waved through like Thais? (Sorry if this has been covered before, I have just just read through diagonally ...)

Try it upright.

Hello

Went through Chaiyaphruek checkpoint this morning at 10.30.. Long queue, very unfriendly guy.. Had passport copies, driving licence and was going to hospital to buy some special medicine I only find there..

He did not want to let me go and discussed and grumbled for a long time before finally letting me go ..  but he was very upset..

No sign of blockage being removed.. but lots of cars on Sukhumvit..

Have a nice afternoon

16 minutes ago, domdom said:

Hello

Went through Chaiyaphruek checkpoint this morning at 10.30.. Long queue, very unfriendly guy.. Had passport copies, driving licence and was going to hospital to buy some special medicine I only find there..

He did not want to let me go and discussed and grumbled for a long time before finally letting me go ..  but he was very upset..

No sign of blockage being removed.. but lots of cars on Sukhumvit..

Have a nice afternoon

going north or south?

On 4/29/2020 at 12:09 PM, Inderpland said:

You have no checkpoints from Tepprasit to Makro, so you don't need anything to show.

@scubascuba3  you have a link in regards to this?

I'm trying to decide where to move next.  If I can go from Jomtien to central, I think I'd move there for the bigger, newer places.  If they keeping the blockade, it's best if I stay inside it with access to all the amenities in Central/Beach.  

but time is ticking on securing a place.