Australia may keep coronavirus restrictions for a year, schools may work on roster

webfact

18 hours ago, sukhumvitneon said:

It works on a sliding scale, what's more important? Money/economy/pleasure vs. human lives?  At what point are we sacrificing too much on one end to save the other?  I'm sure glad I'm not the one charged with making the decision on this

We've already sacrificed too much and it's only been 3 1/2 weeks.

I'm not going into the details, which have been well debated, but it's time to try and rescue what is left of the economy. Poverty will kill more than the virus.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, sucit said:

Then what is the plan at the end of the year? Hope that a single case does not fly in? Hope for a vaccine? 

I don't think they have a plan. IMO they are just making it up as they go.

A plan existed- do what they did in 1918, but not acceptable, apparently.

18 hours ago, sucit said:

The part nobody is considering for some reason is locking down kills people too. 

NZ just had it's first lockdown related death not caused by the virus. A man went crazy and the cops shot him. https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12325942

How many will be found to have died because they couldn't get needed hospital treatment? How many will die of poverty caused by the lockdown?

The government will have to answer for many things after this is over.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Lacessit said:

If you think herd immunity is such a great idea, why don't you get out there and infect yourself. Put your body where your mouth is.

Sorry, but that's not possible. There are not any infected people where I live and I'm not able to travel to where they are by government decree. If I tried to drive there, the cops would stop me.

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sorry, but that's not possible. There are not any infected people where I live and I'm not able to travel to where they are by government decree. If I tried to drive there, the cops would stop me.

I was talking to TDS. As an American, he has plenty of opportunity. So the government is saving you from yourself?

• Haha 1

Just now, Lacessit said:

I was talking to TDS. As an American, he has plenty of opportunity. So the government is saving you from yourself?

They might "save" me from the virus now, only to get it later. Till a vaccine is available for all, it can come back anytime.

The "danger" is only postponed by a lockdown. I doubt anyone could survive a 12 month lockdown.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Lacessit said:

You really think 39,000 deaths and counting in the USA alone is preferable to the 70 that have occurred in Australia? Face it, Australia and New Zealand got ahead of the WHO and are containing COVID-19 spread successfully. Your hero Trump botched the initial response so badly you now have 22 million unemployed, close to the entire population of Australia.

You are one sick and deluded person if you think the US will come out of this better than Australia. If it wasn't for the state governors, Trump would have caused even more deaths.

If you think herd immunity is such a great idea, why don't you get out there and infect yourself. Put your body where your mouth is.

What I think will become obvious over the next 4-6 weeks is that Australia(and to some extent Thailand - seeing as they are trying to eradicate too) totally 100% dropped the ball on coronavirus. While countries like Sweden expect to achieve the so called "herd immunity" in a matter of weeks and crack on with life, Australians will still be effectively hiding under their beds - and that will be FOREVER. You will have no pubs, no festivals, no crowds, no imports, no exports, no long weekend break in Kuta, no overseas travel to visit loved ones and family. Your freedoms are gone. Your island will feel like a prison. Do you understand that you will not un-invent coronavirus? All that is happening now is you are wrecking your economy and delaying the inevitable. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/04/18/stockholm-will-reach-herd-immunity-within-weeks/

I find it so sad that todays youth are so emotionally retarded that they are unable to find the strength to tackle and overcome the WuhanFlu. That the US and UK and other countries have to play this duplicitous game of pretending to try eradicating the virus so as not to terrify the youth, while secretly letting it spread is a complete waste of time. 

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The greatest fear I have for the future is that the government will be so desperate for overseas funds that they open up the country to foreign ownership. If that happens we could lose almost everything to foreign influence.

It was bad enough before, but that could be nothing in comparison to the possible future.

Our countries are already open to foreign ownership. But everything is relative.

Last I looked, mainly via Australian super funds, Australians own more overseas assets than foreigners own of Australia. NZ would be broadly similar. 

27 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

What I think will become obvious over the next 4-6 weeks is that Australia(and to some extent Thailand - seeing as they are trying to eradicate too) totally 100% dropped the ball on coronavirus. While countries like Sweden expect to achieve the so called "herd immunity" in a matter of weeks and crack on with life, Australians will still be effectively hiding under their beds - and that will be FOREVER. You will have no pubs, no festivals, no crowds, no imports, no exports, no long weekend break in Kuta, no overseas travel to visit loved ones and family. Your freedoms are gone. Your island will feel like a prison. Do you understand that you will not un-invent coronavirus? All that is happening now is you are wrecking your economy and delaying the inevitable. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/04/18/stockholm-will-reach-herd-immunity-within-weeks/

I find it so sad that todays youth are so emotionally retarded that they are unable to find the strength to tackle and overcome the WuhanFlu. That the US and UK and other countries have to play this duplicitous game of pretending to try eradicating the virus so as not to terrify the youth, while secretly letting it spread is a complete waste of time. 

I think I understand where you are coming from, in your eyes 40,500 deaths ( yes, 1500 more overnight ) is a good thing because it is preferentially eliminating the old, the poor and your pesky minority groups. You must have all the empathy of a cane toad.

You don't seem to understand medical teams world-wide are working on therapies, prophylactics and vaccines. While it's true a vaccine may be a long way off, there are signs of effective therapies. BCG immunization is just one of them. Once an effective cocktail is found, your prediction of an island prison will be in the rubbish bin of history.

Australians are united in dealing with the threat of coronavirus. And it is working, one only has to look at our re-infection rate. That's more than I can say for a country which is in the process of tearing itself apart, egged on by a narcissist whose only real objective is to get himself re-elected, thus deferring the day when he will be jailed for his criminality and treason.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, samran said:

Our countries are already open to foreign ownership. But everything is relative.

Last I looked, mainly via Australian super funds, Australians own more overseas assets than foreigners own of Australia. NZ would be broadly similar. 

I have no wish to live in a country largely owned by China, which has loads of money to buy everything.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I think I understand where you are coming from, in your eyes 40,500 deaths ( yes, 1500 more overnight ) is a good thing because it is preferentially eliminating the old, the poor and your pesky minority groups. You must have all the empathy of a cane toad.

You don't seem to understand medical teams world-wide are working on therapies, prophylactics and vaccines. While it's true a vaccine may be a long way off, there are signs of effective therapies. BCG immunization is just one of them. Once an effective cocktail is found, your prediction of an island prison will be in the rubbish bin of history.

Australians are united in dealing with the threat of coronavirus. And it is working, one only has to look at our re-infection rate. That's more than I can say for a country which is in the process of tearing itself apart, egged on by a narcissist whose only real objective is to get himself re-elected, thus deferring the day when he will be jailed for his criminality and treason.

You were doing quite well till your hatred of Trump lost whatever credibility you had. If you can't contribute without ranting about someone that is off topic to this thread I have to disregard your viewpoint.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You were doing quite well till your hatred of Trump lost whatever credibility you had. If you can't contribute without ranting about someone that is off topic to this thread I have to disregard your viewpoint.

I don't hate Trump, I just see him for what he is. A very successful con man. With a very shady history. I beg to differ, his actions ( or lack of them ) comparative to the leaders of Australia and New Zealand are very germane to this topic.

Has it occurred to you your dislike of any comments critical of Trump may be affecting your own objectivity?

40 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I don't hate Trump, I just see him for what he is. A very successful con man. With a very shady history. I beg to differ, his actions ( or lack of them ) comparative to the leaders of Australia and New Zealand are very germane to this topic.

Has it occurred to you your dislike of any comments critical of Trump may be affecting your own objectivity?

Ah so you think about Trump in the same way I think about HRC. Regardless, you talk about Trump like you hate him, and he isn't even on topic in this thread so I fail to understand why you had to bring him into it.

I don't "dislike comments critical of Trump". I dislike vile, disgusting comments about him, of which there are many on TVF, though not necessarily from yourself..

This is my last comment on this off topic diversion.

Just heard on the radio. NZ is still on lockdown for almost another week ( nearly 5 weeks total ) and then an almost lockdown for at least another 2 weeks after that. Millions were hoping for an end to level 4.

You guys living in Oz are so lucky.

I'm depressed now.

To rub it in, just heard that surfing allowed in Oz now. We can't even go fishing off the beach.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Just heard on the radio. NZ is still on lockdown for almost another week ( nearly 5 weeks total ) and then an almost lockdown for at least another 2 weeks after that. Millions were hoping for an end to level 4.

You guys living in Oz are so lucky.

I'm depressed now.

To rub it in, just heard that surfing allowed in Oz now. We can't even go fishing off the beach.

I guess that puts paid to the whitebait season.

Where are you now? Chiang Rai is still reasonably free-moving, I can even get a massage in my GF's village if I want.

48 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

did boguns ever stop mining coal ?prolly not

It's "bogans"-please write it out 500 times after school and get back to us.

We can assist  you with your illiteracy after you have completed that simple but repetitive task.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Haha 2