Gunman in Canada kills more than 10 people in rampage - police

webfact

Gunman in Canada kills more than 10 people in rampage - police

By John Morris

2020-04-19T174720Z_1_LYNXMPEG3I0FH_RTROPTP_4_CANADA-CRIME-NOVA-SCOTIA.JPG

Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) monitor Portapique Beach Road, as a fire truck travels along it after searching for Gabriel Wortman, who the police describe as a shooter of multiple victims, in Portapique, Nova Scotia, Canada April 19, 2020. REUTERS/John Morris

PORTAPIQUE, Nova Scotia (Reuters) - A gunman in the Canadian province of Nova Scotia killed more than 10 people, including at least one police officer, during a 12-hour rampage, authorities said on Sunday.

Police told reporters that 51-year-old Gabriel Wortman shot people in several locations across the province and they were still trying to establish a final death toll.

They added that Wortman was dead, but would not confirm a CTV report that he had been shot and killed by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

The killings started late on Saturday in the small Atlantic coastal town of Portapique, about 130 km north (80 miles) of the provincial capital, Halifax.

The massacre looked to be the worst act of mass murder in Canada since a gunman killed 15 women in Montreal in December 1989.

(Reporting by John Morris in Portapique, Nova Scotia; Additional reporting and writing by David Ljunggren in Ottawa; Editing by Cynthia Osterman and Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-04-20

15 minutes ago, mrfill said:

Para 5 : "The massacre looked to be the worst act of mass murder in Canada since a gunman killed 15 women in Montreal in December 1989. "

Maybe not isolated but not exactly frequent - once in over 30 years, not days

Para 5: is purely comparing the number of people massacred.

Had you googled, as I suggested, you will clearly see there have been more than 30 other massacres in Canada, since the one in 1989. Not isolated and rather frequent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massacres_in_Canada

1 hour ago, mrfill said:

Para 5 : "The massacre looked to be the worst act of mass murder in Canada since a gunman killed 15 women in Montreal in December 1989. "

Maybe not isolated but not exactly frequent - once in over 30 years, not days

Actually quite a few in this list starting in 1689 to present.  You missed over 30 between Dec 1989 and present.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massacres_in_Canada

The death toll is over 16 now.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/at-least-16-people-dead-after-ns-gunmans-rampage-and-police-say-toll-could-grow/ar-BB12RvJ6?li=AAggNb9

Sadly, that number could rise higher.

No known motive, not terrorism related, guy wasn't "poor" (he was a "Denturist" - making dentures for a living and had at least 3 properties in the area). He apparently knew some, but not all, of the victims (at least that's what they think though the investigation will no doubt take weeks).

Edited by Kerryd

An off topic trolling post and the replies have been removed. 

This topic is not about "Canada closed the border to the US because of Covid-19".

This topic is not about "keep the border closed until the US deals with its epidemic of mass shootings as well".

An off topic post about the US has now been removed. 

Edited by metisdead

Remember, guns are used by people the world over to kill people. I seem to remember Canadians have a lot of guns per person (34.7) while some countries like Taiwan, ban guns and solve the problem somewhat better.

IMG_3337.thumb.PNG.3bb2d2d9ec4b0e8eb4da0515c4ae2df2.PNGSeems he started off by killing his ex and her new guy. This is the biggest mass murder in Canadian history. Pictured is the 23 year RCMP veteran  killed by what she likely thought was a fellow officer.

Edited by pegman
  • Sad 1

Surprised he only took out 15 with some of the comments about he had a fake cop car and extensive planning went into this. I guess that could be because of people staying in during the lock down? Too lazy to read every detail as it doesn't add any benefit to do so. I never understood why they think the public needs every grisly detail of these things.

3 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Surprised he only took out 15 with some of the comments about he had a fake cop car and extensive planning went into this. I guess that could be because of people staying in during the lock down? Too lazy to read every detail as it doesn't add any benefit to do so. I never understood why they think the public needs every grisly detail of these things.

It also happened overnite in a very rural area. He was headed to the city where he lived when the RCMP caught up with him. The number murdered is now at 19 with more expected to be found.

Truly a sad day in Canada, specifically in Nova Scotia.  

I'm happy this killer is dead. 

Unfortunately he can't speak as to why he did it, so we'll never know what was his motivation for executing this tragedy.  

R.I.P.  to the Victims.  

• Like 2