RIP Pattaya

Silent Tiger

On 5/20/2020 at 11:49 PM, crobe said:

The few things that you have seen - Sihanoukville - are not the whole world as they seem to be to you, if you want to play the "have you ever been to" game, then have you ever been to Loei, to Trat, to Ubon or spent songkran in a small town 20 years ago where you were the only falang?

I also go to many more parts of Cambodia than just Sihanoukville that you know. 

Or have you ever been to French Guyana or Tuvalu - both places I happened to be in last year - No

Good that you have traveled so much, but irrelevant on any discussion of Pattaya. I've never been to Snooky but I gather it is comparable to Pattaya.

I lived in Lamphun, and was almost the only farang in town, and also a village where I was the only farang. Neither can be compared to Pattaya.

I spent most of my time away from Pattaya wishing I was still there, but when I finally went back it was a shadow of what it had been in the bar areas. Frankly, if that was all there was then, Pattaya might as well become a Hua Hin with a better beach in the future.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

In those places is it possible to have a temporary GF for a couple of weeks at comparable prices as Pattaya?

That was where Pattaya won in my book.

I never had any interest in Soi 6 type short time shennanigans.

Easily , and cheaper, hands down. Pattaya ain't cheap anymore with the rise in baht.

soi 6 has never done anything for me either, old battle axes.

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

It never was, and in more recent times it became much less so.

I gather it had a beach, bars and hookers and western men went there, so that would make it comparable.

I understand the Russians and then the Chinese have changed it somewhat.

8 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

Must have been looking in different bars! I used to walk from Second to Beach along it to have a goggle at the cute girls and be told how "hansum" I was, but never felt like talking to any of them while surrounded by most of the staff.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I gather it had a beach, bars and hookers and western men went there, so that would make it comparable.

I understand the Russians and then the Chinese have changed it somewhat.

Yes there were, but it was really way below what Pattaya had on offer. Chinese have changed it, more accurately made it a write off for Western men.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

In those places is it possible to have a temporary GF for a couple of weeks at comparable prices as Pattaya?

That was where Pattaya won in my book.

I never had any interest in Soi 6 type short time shennanigans.

I had a lovely gf move in with me in Barretto (I even went back for a 2nd holiday with her).

Not all that pretty, not my normal choice at all, small and round, but very enthusiastic.

Why a 30 year old woman would want to move in with a 60+ year old guy is beyond me.

Said she didn't want money, I had a great time.

My pals loved her because she had all the other girls phone numbers.

21 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Good that you have traveled so much, but irrelevant on any discussion of Pattaya. I've never been to Snooky but I gather it is comparable to Pattaya.

I lived in Lamphun, and was almost the only farang in town, and also a village where I was the only farang. Neither can be compared to Pattaya.

I spent most of my time away from Pattaya wishing I was still there, but when I finally went back it was a shadow of what it had been in the bar areas. Frankly, if that was all there was then, Pattaya might as well become a Hua Hin with a better beach in the future.

Pattaya s got a better beach than his hin?how do you work that out?

• Like 1

On 5/20/2020 at 8:48 PM, Leaver said:

Sleeze it what made Pattaya economically successful.  Sleeze sells.  Take the sleeze out of Pattaya, and do you think tourists will come here for the lousy beach?   ????

Chinese do.

Pattaya was always the center one went to to tour from, and enjoy the nights. Golf was pretty big too. Good accommodation was far cheaper than Bkk.

I'd go to Pattaya to find a temporary GF to head to the beaches with where I spent most of my holiday. For that it was by far the best place in Thailand. Bkk had more attractive girls, but far more expensive.

On 5/20/2020 at 6:46 PM, Leaver said:

I've been to all of the places you mention, except for Barretto.  How many "experts" on Pattaya can say the same?  Yet, they say "you need to get out more."

I can, with the exception of Shinoukvile (sp) and have not intention of going.

I'm sure that i've also travelled more thoroughly within thailand than you as well as many others on here have as well.

For the people like Leaver and others - the ones who are looking for a certain type of entertainment - the ones who would go to Amsterdam and say "red light district and bulldog cafe - there isn't anything else there" - then it is clear that Pattaya is still the best place they could have found

After 30-odd pages of this no-one has come up with a better alternative for you - not Sihanoukville, not anywhere else around here - so if it is RIP Pattaya then you better rethink your lifestyle don't you think?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sounds like Hua Hin. All Pattaya needs is horses pooing on the beach to complete the picture. Pattaya has a better beach than Hua Hin.

Yes, the beach is terrific now.  It's been widened and for the past few years has been cleaned daily.  

1 hour ago, crobe said:

For the people like Leaver and others - the ones who are looking for a certain type of entertainment - the ones who would go to Amsterdam and say "red light district and bulldog cafe - there isn't anything else there" - then it is clear that Pattaya is still the best place they could have found

After 30-odd pages of this no-one has come up with a better alternative for you - not Sihanoukville, not anywhere else around here - so if it is RIP Pattaya then you better rethink your lifestyle don't you think?

24lcee.jpg

2 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

Easily , and cheaper, hands down. Pattaya ain't cheap anymore with the rise in baht.

What rise in baht ?

• Like 1

On 5/20/2020 at 12:17 PM, crobe said:

Getting desperate now aren't we.

You have my answer which is objective about the future of Pattaya, not tainted with bitterness like yours

My comments are subjective, yours are objective.

You must have a lot of skin in the game. 

8 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

I think you need new glasses. Many many young and tasty public relations girls were onsite 6 before the C19 closure.

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Chinese do.

Pattaya was always the center one went to to tour from, and enjoy the nights. Golf was pretty big too. Good accommodation was far cheaper than Bkk.

I'd go to Pattaya to find a temporary GF to head to the beaches with where I spent most of my holiday. For that it was by far the best place in Thailand. Bkk had more attractive girls, but far more expensive.

Chinese are zero baht tourist.  Most are on package holidays purchased in China, and using Chinese owned Thai Companies when in Thailand.

The independent Chinese travelers are not much better, with 5 or 6 of them in an AirBnb condo, eating and drinking at home, before going out just to look and take photos. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I can, with the exception of Shinoukvile (sp) and have not intention of going.

I'm sure that i've also travelled more thoroughly within thailand than you as well as many others on here have as well.

Thailand, possibly, South East Asia, I doubt it. 

How many on TV, and the people you meet, sing the praises of Thailand, and when asked, "Where else have you been in South East Asia?"  Many answer, "I've only been to Thailand."  FAIL!!!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Chinese are zero baht tourist.  Most are on package holidays purchased in China, and using Chinese owned Thai Companies when in Thailand.

The independent Chinese travelers are not much better, with 5 or 6 of them in an AirBnb condo, eating and drinking at home, before going out just to look and take photos. 

Every time I read post like this one, I think that this forum need a "B.S."  icon/option in the like-menu (the small heart at the bottom-right of posts)

People talking about things they know nothing about, or about things from far in the past who are not true anymore nowadays.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Thailand, possibly, South East Asia, I doubt it. 

How many on TV, and the people you meet, sing the praises of Thailand, and when asked, "Where else have you been in South East Asia?"  Many answer, "I've only been to Thailand."  FAIL

Most have only been to Pattaya and Bkk

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I can remember the time in the UK where people used to make fun of the Japanese tourists, going round in a big group "clickety-click" snapping photos of all the tourists sites.

The Japanese now - especially the golf tour groups - are the highest spending tourists in Thailand - closely followed by the South Koreans.

• Like 1

Just now, Kennycrossfit said:

Most have only been to Pattaya and Bkk

Leaver is so well travelled he has been to Pattaya, Sihahoukville AND Kho Phangan.

And they say travel broadens the mind...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pattaya46 said:

Every time I read post like this one, I think that this forum need a "B.S."  icon/option in the like-menu (the small heart at the bottom-right of posts)

People talking about things they know nothing about, or about things from far in the past who are not true anymore nowadays.

Care to elaborate, rather than rant? 

Top of first page of Google.  Article dated 2018.  has anything changed since then? 

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/travel-leisure/article/2130551/chinese-zero-dollar-tour-companies-dodge-thai-crackdown-and

"However, these popular package tours – organised by proxy companies with Chinese owners, but registered in Thailand – have been controversial."

"The Thais have other problems with these tours. As a result of the way they are managed and financed – by Chinese nationals – much of the revenue generated goes back to companies in China, at the expense of local Thai hoteliers and restaurateurs, who receive a much smaller portion of the revenue. The tours also avoid local taxes, depriving the Thai treasury of millions of dollars."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crobe said:

Leaver is so well travelled he has been to Pattaya, Sihahoukville AND Kho Phangan.

And they say travel broadens the mind...

Do you actually have anything to put forward on the topic, or just personal attacks and baiting, both of which are wasted on me.

• Like 1

One of the biggest tourist myths is the so-called 'zero baht tourist'--mentioned once again by a clueless poster.  You only need to look around Pattaya right now to see glaring proof of how utterly ridiculous the notion is that Chinese tour groups--or any others--contribute nothing to the local economy.   I suspect there are quite a few local businesses--and unemployed local workers--who will welcome the return of these tourists.  

• Like 1