Drug championed by Trump for coronavirus shows no benefit, possible harm in study awaiting validation

webfact

Posts containing unapproved Twitter or YouTube content have been removed:

18) Social Media content is not to be used as  source material unless it is from a recognized or approved news media source,  the source of any such material (Twitter, Facebook  etc.) should always be shown.

Some troll posts have been removed. 

Reuters

10 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Reuters...

Geez! I wish reuters would consider what the the experts on the FDA are saying ,  that this is a small study, before they come out with their usual...

The study by the VA didn't change the FDA thinking

FDA: "this is something a doctor needs to consider before writing prescriptions".

FDA :preliminary data are helpful to providers.

FDA : Still need data from randomize clinical trials!

So imop the FDA is  considering  this VA study while at the same time ,Still encouraging doctors to consider using it,while conducting further tests

Edited by riclag
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, riclag said:

Reuters

Geez! I wish reuters would consider what the the experts on the FDA are saying ,  that this is a small study, before they come out with their usual...

The study by the VA didn't change the FDA thinking

FDA: "this is something a doctor needs to consider before writing prescriptions".

FDA :preliminary data are helpful to providers.

FDA : Still need data from randomize clinical trials!

So imop the FDA is  considering  this VA study while at the same time ,Still encouraging doctors to consider using it,while conducting further tests

No encouragement at all in your FDA quotes.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

This news should be spread widely. It might prevent people who trust the orange word salad king from killing themselves -- like the old couple who dosed themselves with aquarium cleaning pills because one of the ingredients was chloroquine (one of them died).

I actually took chloroquine for two years while a volunteer in United States Peace Corps (1976-78). It was U.S. Peace Corps policy that volunteers in our region take the pills as a malaria preventative. Had some temporary liver damage, maybe due to alcohol + chloroquine.

Edited by SometimezaGreatNotion
small edit
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Some off topic posts and replies have been removed.

Posts with conspiracy theories and the replies have been removed.

Some troll posts and the replies have been removed.

A post using content from an unapproved YouTube source has now been removed:

18) Social Media content is not to be used as  source material unless it is from a recognized or approved news media source,  the source of any such material (Twitter, Facebook  etc.) should always be shown.

Edited by metisdead

19 hours ago, Tug said:

To bad would have been nice if it helped wonder how many were injured by trumps unfounded ill advised and harmful jaw jacking 

I read yesterday that turkey have been using the drug with success and have a very low death rate , from what I understand it works well with people in the early stage of the virus not once the lungs have been damaged 

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Xaos said:

How about

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.14.20065276v1

I bet if u get covid positive, first thing u try would be hydroxychroloquine and azythromycin 

Funnily enough I was reading a paper by the Turkish Journal of Medical Sciences, somewhat sceptical of all the hype. 

http://online.journals.tubitak.gov.tr/openInPressDocument.htm?fileID=1291231&no=223892&fileType=Report Document

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Zillod said:

Leftist pearl clutchers everything anti trump, but if they were in ICU .. Gimme the hydroxychloraquine!  Always total hypocrites

If I were in the ICU and asked if I wanted to volunteer for an experimental treatment, I'd ask for one of the medicines used to treat other viral infections  https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200218/doctors-look-to-existing-drugs-in-coronavirus-fight  , not one used to treat malaria, a parasitic infection.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rod40a said:

I read yesterday that turkey have been using the drug with success and have a very low death rate , from what I understand it works well with people in the early stage of the virus not once the lungs have been damaged 

It would be nice if you could provide a source for "what I understand".

In the early stages of the virus most people will recover without the use of experimental drugs.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

It's too bad the pros and cons of chloroquine and and hydroxychloroquine can't be discussed without referencing Trump. There remains convincing scientific support for why these might work (and particularly in conjunction with zinc, with the hydroxy making the cell permeable to the zinc), not least in that they proved effective back in 2004 in relation to SARS 1 - back when Trump was busy with the first season of The Apprentice.

While none of the controlled trials have really proved conclusive, it's worth remembering that many more people are being treated with chloroquine worldwide than the small numbers who are currently taking part in trials. In Thailand this includes all hospital cases other than asymptomatic; everyone with mild symptoms upwards gets the drug according to the Ministry of Health guidelines. The same is true in many countries around the world - it's likely a high percentage of people with covid-19 in hospitals around the world are currently taking or will have already completed a course of chloroquine. 

Edited by lamyai3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All the prior 113 post before this one is a complete waste of time as the VA just announced that the small observation that the media ran with was not a study or even scientific  but just an observation the drug given to dying elderly VA patients which most likely nothing would of helped. They have backed off from it and have been discredited by numerous medical organizations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Not approved by FDA to prevent or treat COVID-19 and CDC withdrawn prescription details from their websites; that’s all that matters. Non medical layperson shouldn’t be giving advise on choloroquine period. 

Nonsense, refer to Dr Stephen Smith and his ongoing success in treating his patients with the combination of hydrochloroquine and Zithromax, and clearly stating that early treatment is necessary for success. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1