Unusual visa situation

On 4/22/2020 at 2:50 PM, phuketrichard said:

100% wrong

there people here on 1 year multi entry NON B visas, 1 year non O visas, 90 day O visas, 90 day B visas, tourists visas an 30 day visa exempt stamps

there also people here on 1 year EXTENSIONS based on O or B visas

I'd call the elite people and ask them

But is not extensions ALSO permits to stay?

I get extremely frustrated by all these loose terms myself, but IF "permit to stay" is equal for everything but being a citizen and is tied to the stamp we get when arriving, then everything else makes sense...

7 hours ago, smedly said:

My advice to anyone on a 12 month extension that is expiring before the 31st July is either to call your IO office or go there and ask for clarification

My own opinion leans towards - those on 12 month extensions need to renew as normal

Agreed.... “Short term” is causing confusion. Was the term put in specific to some visas.... ? not retirement,married ?

Best to confirm so no issues down the road. Would hate to think

ok I’m covered until July 31 then go to Immigration and they point 

out short term

• Like 1

On 4/22/2020 at 3:01 PM, BKKTRAVELER said:

I did but they were puzzled and I am not very eager to go there myself right now with the covid situation.

Your safest course of action is to assume that your permission to stay ends on the date stamped in your passport and to take the necessary action before that date. You gain little by speculating whether or not you are covered by the "amnesty" until 31 July and risk lots of trouble if you are wrong. 

Foreigners who have a permission to stay for the purposes of retirement are NOT covered by the amnesty and have to renew before the end of that permission. It would be wise for you to assume the same.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Goethe said:

Your safest course of action is to assume that your permission to stay ends on the date stamped in your passport and to take the necessary action before that date. You gain little by speculating whether or not you are covered by the "amnesty" until 31 July and risk lots of trouble if you are wrong. 

Foreigners who have a permission to stay for the purposes of retirement are NOT covered by the amnesty and have to renew before the end of that permission. It would be wise for you to assume the same.

Ok, so let's say I try to take a course of action, What are my options? I am on my 6th year of Elite visa. Obviously, my visa expired last year. How can I renew my permit of stay? I do not see any options for me to renew within Thailand, since there is nothing valid to renew. My only possible option would be if I buy another Elite visa right now to hope it will be all settled within the end of May. But I don't see the immigration forcing me to do so, coughing up 500k or more, it has to be my choice I guess. 

I just don't see what are my options to extend my permit of stay while borders are still closed.

23 minutes ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

I just don't see what are my options to extend my permit of stay while borders are still closed.

You qualify under the ministerial order that allows you to stay until July 31st since you were in the country on the 26th of March.

You have nothing to worry about.

• Like 1

Playing the devils advocate

Everyone who has an gotten an extension to stay till july 31st an going on the HOPE that no more announcements are made and no more automatic extensions and everything is sorta good and the planes are flying

Everyone that got an extension whose visas had expired, will need leave the country on the 1st as their automatic extension will expire

OR?

I can see this is going to be one huge  F#@k up

4 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

Everyone that got an extension whose visas had expired, will need leave the country on the 1st as their automatic extension will expire

OR?

Why would they all choose to leave on the same day? Surely, if flights have started up and/or land borders have opened, they could act prior. Else a further automatic extension will likely be made.

Edited by jacko45k

On April 23, 2020 at 12:03 PM, Russell17au said:

No, you are wrong. You are reading it all wrong. Those that arrived on a 90 day Non-Imm "O" visa and who did a 1 year extension at their local IO are not included in the amnesty because they renew their extension every year at the local IO and do not have to leave the country and they get an 1 year extension stamp in their passport. Those that have arrived on any visa that requires them to leave Thailand in the time frame of their visa (30 day, 60 day, 90 day) are covered by this amnesty because the borders are closed for them to be able to leave Thailand and they get a permission to stay stamp in their passport. They are two different stamps and you are mixing your extensions and your permission to stay stamps up and their meanings.

I didn't write anything  about the amnesty  nor did I read anything wrongly.  The only thing I commented on was that foreigners are given permission to stay by Immigrations and it. Is that permission or an extension of that permission that  determines anyone's stay in the country. I said nothing about who would or wouldn't be additionally covered by the amnesty extending their permission to stay

Probably best if you comment on a post before rather than after the happy hour and after rather than before reading the post I was responding to,

Edited by Suradit69

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Why would they all choose to leave on the same day? Surely, if flights have started up and/or land borders have opened, they could act prior. Else a further automatic extension will likely be made.

right
so i guess it makes sense their hoping that flights resume before that date and people can depart

On 4/23/2020 at 11:21 AM, Suradit69 said:

And all of them were given a permission to stay or an extension of THE PERMISSION to STAY

if they got an extension, it's an extension of the permission.

That is incorrect, you are promoting the TVF interpretation.

The wording on the stamp is "Extension of stay permitted up to __________"

"Extension of stay" is a noun phrase with "Extension" being the noun.

"Permitted" is the past tense of the verb "permit" and relates to the noun "extension"

It is the "extension" that has been "permitted" - not the other way round.

Wording on the entry stamp is "Visa Class_____ Admitted until______"

In the same way it is the "visa" that has been "admitted"

On 4/23/2020 at 1:14 PM, phuketrichard said:

If ur on a 1 year EXTENSION...this amnesty does not apply to you and you must renew as you did the year before. Immigration is open for business as usual

I would tend to agree with that interpretation.

Unfortunately, as in almost any temporary arrangement created there will always be some that fall through cracks. someone that is currently on a 12 month extension that will come to an end shortly could be faced with a problem if for some reason or another they can no longer meet the extension requirements.

In these circumstances it could be interpreted that the amnesty does apply to 12 month extensions. Those in that position would have had to leave the country anyway, but those that took a chance may well regret it.

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Yes.  3 months gives everyone plenty of time to leave Thailand once the borders re-open and departing flights resume properly.  

On 4/22/2020 at 2:59 PM, cornishcarlos said:

Exactly, you have extended your permission to stay...

No apology for the language required

Thinking that we're in a country, on a visathe idea that just refuses to die.

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

That is incorrect, you are promoting the TVF interpretation.

The wording on the stamp is "Extension of stay permitted up to __________"

"Extension of stay" is a noun phrase with "Extension" being the noun.

"Permitted" is the past tense of the verb "permit" and relates to the noun "extension"

It is the "extension" that has been "permitted" - not the other way round.

Wording on the entry stamp is "Visa Class_____ Admitted until______"

In the same way it is the "visa" that has been "admitted"

You have never considered that maybe their stamps are incorrect English translation ?? 

If not, how do you admit a visa to the country ?? Does it have to be accompanied by an adult ??

On 4/22/2020 at 2:50 PM, phuketrichard said:

100% wrong

there people here on 1 year multi entry NON B visas, 1 year non O visas, 90 day O visas, 90 day B visas, tourists visas an 30 day visa exempt stamps

there also people here on 1 year EXTENSIONS based on O or B visas

I'd call the elite people and ask them

Actually you are 100% wrong as you usually are.

On 4/23/2020 at 11:54 AM, smedly said:

my point is - how many times can you extend a tourist visa - VOA - or VISA exempt entry - there is a limit which is why tourists who are stuck here are being granted this arrangement

people here on 12 month extensions have no such limits and they are generally not stuck here which is why the arrangement does not apply

There is another group, the Non B and Non O (90 days/volunteer)

Normally they are granted, if all paperwork are okeydory, a stay up to but no more then one year after the arrival in Thailand.

Extension need to be done before each 90 days, so in total three times extensions before needing to leave the country.

With the businesses closed, or half open it can be hard to impossible to have the paperwork complete for application of the extension.

That group, as it was said, is in the amnesty arrangement.

Unclear if after the date (of amnesty) new extension can be obtained with the papers from work or there is the need of leaving the country.

Grey area still.

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 9:19 AM, Tanoshi said:

A visa does not give you any 'right' to enter.

That decision is made by an Immigration officer at an entry point.

A Visa only determines the length of stay an officer can grant, based on the Visa type, or lack of a Visa.

A visa is a privilege, like a driver's licence. Can be revoked.

Oh, yes Thailand here. well, in other countries then about the same...

thaiembassy.no/do-i-need-visa-to-thailand

A visa to enter into Thailand is considered by Thai authorities as a privilege extended to that particular applicant, not a right nor a commodity. The visa may be refused or canceled by officers in charge.