Thai govt considers teaching students via long distance learning, online

webfact

Government considers teaching students via long distance learning, online

Praphorn Praphornkul

abf19d3295ea32899e3124b9b379042f_small.jpg

BANGKOK(NNT) - A meeting of cabinet ministers on Apr 21 considered many issues related to measures to help limit the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), including preparations for the start of the first semester of the 2020 academic year and admissions of seventh grade and 10th grade students.

The Government Spokeswoman, Prof. Dr. Narumon Pinyosinwat, said today that the first semester of the 2020 academic year will start on July 1. Admissions of seventh grade and 10th grade students will take place between May 3 and 12, while educational institutions for persons with disabilities and underprivileged students will be open for registration between May 3 and 31. Examinations and procedures for student selection will take place in June. Finding proper education venues and having students report themselves will be completed before June 15.

Tools and equipment for long distance learning have been prepared. There are two scenarios. First, if the COVID-19 situation remains uncertain, students from elementary to junior high school will study via the DLTV system, while high school students will learn through videos as well as online lectures, using learning tools provided by their educational institutions.

In the second scenario, after the COVID-19 situation has improved; students will attend classes as usual, but be required to keep a safe distance from each other. Contingency plans to deal with emergencies must receive prior approval from provincial education committees.

Source: http://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG200422145720616

nnt.jpg

We're doing it at the moment and it works relatively well, albeit not perfect. It does require all the students to understand what they need to do each day and have the necessary devices at home (iPad, laptop, WiFi etc).

This is easy for the wealthy students we have in international schools, but most likely not so easy for your average Thai student in rural Thailand.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

We're doing it at the moment and it works relatively well, albeit not perfect. It does require all the students to understand what they need to do each day and have the necessary devices at home (iPad, laptop, WiFi etc).

This is easy for the wealthy students we have in international schools, but most likely not so easy for your average Thai student in rural Thailand.  

I am also doing it at two different universities: One government and one private international (wealthy students).

The government university is the easiest. The students are well motivated and turn in all assignments on time ( both written and spoken)  and without cheating (as far as I can make out).

The international university, on the other hand is a nightmare. Most don't have a computer and only use their iPhones. I had one student write a 500 word essay as a single message on the Line app, despite me insisting on a Word document to Google classroom. 

Others sent to my Line as attachments, my email, Google classroom and facebook group.

Last week I gave a final exam and gave the students two hours to send the assignment to me. I received the last written assignment today (eight days later!). It started "I woke up this morning and saw the autumn leaves falling from the trees..." No need to read more. I just wrote back "There is no autumn in Thailand - Grade D" (I am not really supposed to fail them)

It will take a huge cultural change to make distance learning work in Thailand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Venom said:

Really? Name just one. 

In Chaiyaphum, my province, any village more than 2 km off a main road has no internet options, when I tried to get it for my home 3 km off the main drag they told me that if I could get 20 households to sign up they'd extend the cable to our village, without that, no chance...

2 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Cambodia introduced this system of education some time ago - as usual, dithering Thailand has only just started getting its act together!!

Submarines and stryker armoured cars are more important than education.

Priorities and all that.

Edited by hotchilli
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, timendres said:

Mobile phones do not work in those places?

No, no electric in those villages, no mobile signal, no money either.

Please dont tell me i am wrong, as i lived in Nong Kao Klang for 15 months, had to wait to go into town 39 ks away just to use my phone.

8 minutes ago, colinneil said:

No, no electric in those villages, no mobile signal, no money either.

Please dont tell me i am wrong, as i lived in Nong Kao Klang for 15 months, had to wait to go into town 39 ks away just to use my phone.

Why would I tell you that you are wrong? I was just not aware that there were many places left in Thailand without mobile coverage. Even with coverage, some are still on 3G, which would not be a very good experience for remote learning. Plus, mobile data can be expense, so there would probably need to be some subsidies to help with that.

10 minutes ago, timendres said:

. Plus, mobile data can be expense, so there would probably need to be some subsidies to help with that.

The data charges for a family with a few kids would be huge.  Many of my students only use their phones/devices when theres free wifi.    Also, I skimmed through a few videos my school promoted to parents, government produced.  They were one hour of boring blah blah that would never hold the attention of a young learner. 

...had to wait to go into town 39 ks away just to use my phone.

Lol, I recall having to stand on the mad ex's house roof in darkest Sakhon Nakorn in 2002 to get a mobile phone signal to check my internet.

As for online classes, I've been successfully teaching online classes in science and world history to high school students in Myanmar for over a year.  Come on Thailand - you need to catch up!

16 hours ago, simon43 said:

Lol, I recall having to stand on the mad ex's house roof in darkest Sakhon Nakorn in 2002 to get a mobile phone signal to check my internet.

As for online classes, I've been successfully teaching online classes in science and world history to high school students in Myanmar for over a year.  Come on Thailand - you need to catch up!

In 18 years the internet connections has become a lot better, so pretty useless info.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, drguid said:

I was due to teach in Thailand this month. My agency assumes everything will be back to normal by mid-June.

I told them where to go.

Schools are now reopening in China, so a mid-June timeline isn't crazy, the Thai gov has said July 1st though...

• Like 1