Retirement Visa Entry To Thailand

bobbin1955

1 hour ago, crazykopite said:

If there is a flight from your country to Bangkok you can fly in my understanding is that you will need an insurance policy to cover the virus for $100,000 also you will need a letter no older than 72 hours before you fly confirming you are Corona free if you don’t have either of these two requirement you will be turned away at the check in desk . My wife has been stuck in the U.K. due to no flights however even if there was a flight it’s impossible to get Insurance cover for the virus as well as a letter confirming you are virus free .

Hopefully when flights start again they will do away with the huge insurance requirement ( that nobody I know has been able to obtain).

54 minutes ago, Jaxxper said:

Hopefully when flights start again they will do away with the huge insurance requirement ( that nobody I know has been able to obtain).

That insurance coverage ($100,000) is nothing if you have a travel insurance from abroad. They normally cover 3x that sum. Imo, no one will be able to enter Thailand without in insurance in the near future,and that's the way it's supposed to be.

14 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

That insurance coverage ($100,000) is nothing if you have a travel insurance from abroad. They normally cover 3x that sum. Imo, no one will be able to enter Thailand without in insurance in the near future,and that's the way it's supposed to be.

Doesn't matter as they will probably exclude Corona, and need to pay extra.

I agree no farang should be able to enter LOS without health insurance. I always did.

38 minutes ago, Rod the Sod said:

It still amazes me that people pop up on this site claiming that all tourists should have travel insurance. If you can demonstrate you have money in the Bank to cover any costs that are offered by a Travel policy then why should you have to pay a premium. These people are referred to as self-insured! If you cannot demonstrate this, then fair enough, insist on insurance. Not everyone lives hand to mouth and many people have actually saved during their lives for just this kind of problem. Some mass judging going on IMHO.

Do you have any idea as to how much a serious accident can cost an uninsured tourist in LOS? No average tourist would have enough money to cover it. How many million baht do you have available to cover something serious?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

according to an article i read today, the govt is meeting on monday to discuss the current situation and their plans following the expiration of the current april 30 'lockdown' (likely extended in some places).  they plan to make an announcement on tuesday (april 28).  that announcement will likely include information relating to who will be allowed into the country.  right now, only thais are allowed entry and they are required to do a 14 day quarantine.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, buick said:

according to an article i read today, the govt is meeting on monday to discuss the current situation and their plans following the expiration of the current april 30 'lockdown' (likely extended in some places).  they plan to make an announcement on tuesday (april 28).  that announcement will likely include information relating to who will be allowed into the country.  right now, only thais are allowed entry and they are required to do a 14 day quarantine.

Thanks - just had notification fr airline of a 2 day change in the Eva flight confirmed for May 17th (at the moment) - so will have to wait n see what the Big Boss in Thailand says ...... Insurance and Fit to Fly are no issue. Thanks!

2 hours ago, jimn said:

I think you are on another planet. The OP is asking a serious question. All Thailands borders are closed until at least 30th April. That will probably be extended. Only repatriation of Thai citizens flights are allowed to land. All have to go to a strict government facility for 14 days mandatory quarantine. The requirements for insurance and a negative virus check were dropped prior to the borders being closed. The requirement was a fit to fly certificate. That is all not important now. When Thailand eventually does reopen the borders, new entry requirements will be published.

Will never be extended dreaming. Watch and tourists will be back with fit to fly medical..But not Chinese 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jaxxper said:

There is no such insurance policy. Ignore. They can't close the door for to long. They will starve. I think a medical check prior flight and 14 day self quarantine will apply.

Currently there trying to contain it. But life must go on. Ignore all these false posts. When there is vaccine it will be a requirement then.

Thailand will reopen 

Edited by tomauasia

2 hours ago, tf6122 said:

That is 1,000,000 Baht not $USD100,000! Why bother posting?

I am already covered, not the problem. The problem is getting a certificate from my insurer which satisfies the various Thai authorities . Not available! Nor is a covid-19 free certificate.

What is a "certificate" worth anyway? A bit of paper to satisfy Jobsworth.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

Never going to happen dream dream. Billions lost dream

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rod the Sod said:

It still amazes me that people pop up on this site claiming that all tourists should have travel insurance. If you can demonstrate you have money in the Bank to cover any costs that are offered by a Travel policy then why should you have to pay a premium. These people are referred to as self-insured! If you cannot demonstrate this, then fair enough, insist on insurance. Not everyone lives hand to mouth and many people have actually saved during their lives for just this kind of problem. Some mass judging going on IMHO.

It's a forum. They voice opinion. Insurance not going to happen.  These people are now starving. These farang are in boss mode. All good for a laugh.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Do you have any idea as to how much a serious accident can cost an uninsured tourist in LOS? No average tourist would have enough money to cover it. How many million baht do you have available to cover something serious?

Plenty. And and a large amount of credit available via visa/amex. And comprehensive insurance. I have never purchased travel insurance as it would be redundant. I do understand many people here are dependent on the UK NHS and other national schemes. My cover is essentially global though I may have to pay out of pocket and apply for re-imbursement.

32 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

I may have to pay out of pocket and apply for re-imbursement.

If it comes to million-baht bills, an international hospital is not interested in you as a customer. They don't know you. They don't know you can pay or will pay.  They don't want to sue you (in your home country?). They don't want to deal with individual customers. Too much trouble. 

They want a trusted,  reliable customer with proven deep pockets who in the past didn't give them too much hassles.  They want a big international insurance company,  that they have done business with many times before,  preferably from a rich country whose language and culture they are familiar with. 

15 minutes ago, uhuh said:

If it comes to million-baht bills, an international hospital is not interested in you as a customer. They don't know you. They don't know you can pay or will pay.  They don't want to sue you (in your home country?). They don't want to deal with individual customers. Too much trouble. 

They want a trusted,  reliable customer with proven deep pockets who in the past didn't give them too much hassles.  They want a big international insurance company,  that they have done business with many times before,  preferably from a rich country whose language and culture they are familiar with. 

Have you heard of AETNA? They have a branch in Thailand also.

I agree everyone should require insurance to travel to Thailand.

On 4/23/2020 at 9:11 AM, bobbin1955 said:

Anyone heard "WHEN" retirement visa holders will be allowed back into Thailand, especially those with Thai wife family etc?

I've not heard anything new so far, but I wouldn't count on anything before earliest mid May or June – the authorities are talking about letting up to 18,000 thai citizens return, that what they can accommodate in mandatory 14-days government quarantine facilities, and all need to be pre-registered – could even by July, since that is until when visas have been extended.

You might need to follow the news-section, as things can change fast.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Having spent 48 years working in the Insurance and Banking industries, believe it or not I know exactly how much it would cost, plus all the other costs that you wouldn't even think about.

2 hours ago, uhuh said:

LOL

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Insurance never covers bike accidents and that's the main player there.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, tomauasia said:

Nonsense. My insurance covers all injuries and illnesses. It is not travel insurance, and there or no limits on cover or exclusions for preexisting conditions or epidemics.

What Thailand needs is a mandatory visitor fee, possibly collected though air tickets or otherwise sold that will provide accident cover and funds for maintenance of tourist facilities and services. Meanwhile I have to buy redundant, expensive and hardly useful Thai insurance for my O-A visa because some trash skipped out on their bills. 100-300 baht per day charged to All  short term visitors should do it.

Edited by Captain Monday

5 hours ago, tomauasia said:

Will never be extended dreaming. Watch and tourists will be back with fit to fly medical..But not Chinese 

Another member on another planet. Why do you assume the Chinese will immediatly be allowed back. The state of emergency will be extended but relaxed. Incoming people to Thailand will be severely restricted for some time, Chinese included.

3 hours ago, khunPer said:

I've not heard anything new so far, but I wouldn't count on anything before earliest mid May or June – the authorities are talking about letting up to 18,000 thai citizens return, that what they can accommodate in mandatory 14-days government quarantine facilities, and all need to be pre-registered – could even by July, since that is until when visas have been extended.

You might need to follow the news-section, as things can change fast.

Yes I will!

8 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Have you heard of AETNA? They have a branch in Thailand also.

I agree everyone should require insurance to travel to Thailand.

AETNA is the kind of customer the international hospitals want.

If they have an office in Thailand that's even better

On 4/24/2020 at 5:31 PM, Captain Monday said:

Plenty. And and a large amount of credit available via visa/amex. And comprehensive insurance. I have never purchased travel insurance as it would be redundant. I do understand many people here are dependent on the UK NHS and other national schemes. My cover is essentially global though I may have to pay out of pocket and apply for re-imbursement.

You are unusual. Most don't have enough money anywhere to pay a big hospital bill in LOS. Serious m'bike accident can cost several million baht and than there are the repatriation costs by medical flight.

NHS does not pay for accidents overseas.

On 4/24/2020 at 8:30 PM, tomauasia said:

Of course it does. I always had m'bike accident insurance cover. It doesn't cover cost of bike repair though

Sometimes one has to pay extra. Check the policy. Must have m'bike licence, wear a helmet and restricted engine cc.