Thinking about buying this used car Mercedes Benz C200

NCC1701A

45 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Driving in Bangkok is a nightmare................Nana Plaza? Spend all my money there 555

Outside of BKK public transport is patchy at best. Even the bts in Nonthaburi can take ages to get into BKK. Or you run the gauntlet of van drivers or have to get on a  crowded old bus. 

Expect to shell out 2 - 3 times the servicing cost of any other brand. Mercs are like grandfather's axe, the heads and handles get replaced in rotation. No such thing as a simple repair. Toyotas, Mazdas available for that cost brand new.

Having owned a Merc once, never again. Money pits.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

I found you ( NCC ) THE car that all the beautiful girls in Thailand dream of and it costs less than 750,000 baht ; 

as a bonus, it is already registered in Bangkok

1223941810_DSCN1986_Nong_Khai_2_CV6(Copy).thumb.JPG.c9bb52d034564f7b64b705d91a4c5748.JPG

Citroen DS is a dream car, that's just a joke car....

France makes wonderful cars, but I know somebody who almost died in the Citroen 2CV, it crumpled like paper. Driving that car in BKK would be akin to suicide. Better a super safe car like Mercedes.

Renault Laguna would also be a great car, very safe.

Edited by Logosone
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Expect to shell out 2 - 3 times the servicing cost of any other brand. Mercs are like grandfather's axe, the heads and handles get replaced in rotation. No such thing as a simple repair. Toyotas, Mazdas available for that cost brand new.

Having owned a Merc once, never again. Money pits.

My first car was a mini - another money pit. Bought it for $1400, spent about 5K on it, then sold it for $400 lol. 

One would beed to find a good independent garage to service a benz/bmw. There is such a bmw garage close to my house - its full of bmw's in various states of repair, including some newer examples. It would be a labour or love, as they say. 

Edited by DavisH

No better or worse than most German cars .. Some service parts can be expensive but generally they are reliable .. But it's the 200 badge on the back that might be a bit ruinous to you're street cred' .. Outta L A you should be cruisin' an AMG Merc' ..  

Just now, Logosone said:

Citroen DS is a dream car, that's just a joke car....

DS Citroen, I had several in the years 65/75; under the hood it's a huge gas plant; to replace the first candle you need a special key because a normal one  is too high.
While the engine of the 2CV is the simplest;
the only two mechanical parts to watch are the universal joints but it costs almost nothing and it's very easy to change.
Minimal consumption, sufficient speed for the Thai road network;
I do not recommend the back seat to do somersaults with a pretty girl ...:cheesy:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Expect to shell out 2 - 3 times the servicing cost of any other brand.

Not in my experience over the past five years, the secret is finding a good Mechanic, don't use "Mercedes" service centre, the Mechanic I use is ex Mercedes trained etc. Price is about the same as for any other car.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

But it's the 200 badge on the back that might be a bit ruinous to you're street cred' .. Outta L A you should be cruisin' an AMG Merc' ..  

Nothing could be easier than changing the badge.
the funny thing is that in Germany, owners of large Mercedes do the opposite;
they remove the 450 SLC badge (for example) to replace it with 200D

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

DS Citroen, I had several in the years 65/75; under the hood it's a huge gas plant; to replace the first candle you need a special key because a normal one  is too high.
While the engine of the 2CV is the simplest;
the only two mechanical parts to watch are the universal joints but it costs almost nothing and it's very easy to change.
Minimal consumption, sufficient speed for the Thai road network;
I do not recommend the back seat to do somersaults with a pretty girl ...:cheesy:

I love French cars, the Renault Laguna, its successor, the Citroen DS, just absolutely sublime and wonderful cars. Some of the upscale Peugots, are also like the best a man can have.

But the 2CV, I knew somebody who drove one, the gear changing, it's the Sheldon of cars, and it does crumple like paper in an accident.

Would be too unsafe for the maniacs in Thailand, who will cause an accident with you for sure.

Edited by Logosone

1 minute ago, Assurancetourix said:

Pretty Mazda convertible; but if MCC has enough money, he can buy this beautiful toy that also has a Mazda engine

1520578245_P1000874_Chiang_Mai_Mitsuoka(Copy).thumb.JPG.500e14d80dd05d198129f2b27d7c91f2.JPG

Nice classic styling !! a head-turner !

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

Pretty Mazda convertible; but if MCC has enough money, he can buy this beautiful toy that also has a Mazda engine

1520578245_P1000874_Chiang_Mai_Mitsuoka(Copy).thumb.JPG.500e14d80dd05d198129f2b27d7c91f2.JPG

That's what the Japanese do best, copying European cars, if that's not a carbon copy of a British Morgan I'll eat my hat.

18 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Driving that car in BKK would be akin to suicide. Better a super safe car like Mercedes.

This is where you got it all wrong ..
A 2CV or DS will fold like cardboard; the car will be dead but not the driver or the passengers.
on the other hand, an accident with a tank, the tank will not have much but the occupants will have died from internal bleeding.

• Like 1

Just now, Logosone said:

That's what the Japanese do best, copying European cars, if that's not a carbon copy of a British Morgan I'll eat my hat.

It looks like a Morgan, it's true but it's much more modern and above all much cheaper.
I drove a Morgan +4 in Dakar, Senegal;
it was a long time ago in 1977 ...

10 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

Unless I'm confusing it with another Japanese bespoke brand, the 3 Mitsuoka models mimicking the Jags and Rollers all had Nissan platforms and engines. One of them had a Nissan March engine, so much more show than go.

5 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

A 2CV or DS will fold like cardboard; the car will be dead but not the driver or the passengers.

? depends how far it "folds" once it reaches a certain point it will treat passengers and drivers as if they were cardboard!

7 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

This is where you got it all wrong ..
on the other hand, an accident with a tank, the tank will not have much but the occupants will have died from internal bleeding.

That's what they told my friend, who walked away from a very serious accident with a 2CV with the 2CV completely folded up like an accordeon.

Of course he could throw that car away.

I don't know, I'd much rather have a tank in Thailand. Or if I'm going to die in traffic anyway, let it be in a Citroen DS cabriolet. 

I still think survival chances with a Mercedes C Class or the Renault Laguna successor will be significantly higher.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Unless I'm confusing it with another Japanese bespoke brand, the 3 Mitsuoka models mimicking the Jags and Rollers all had Nissan platforms and engines. One of them had a Nissan March engine, so much more show than go.

The Himiko has a platform and the motor of the Mazda MX5

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsuoka

All their vehicles are made so that the heads turn, so not to go quickly.

6 minutes ago, Logosone said:

The Japanese and Koreans do much better than copy European cars, they now slaughter them on reliability and cost. As for performance, if I had the driving skills I'd take a Nissan GT-R every time. None other than Jeremy Clarkson called it the best sports car in the world.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fruitman said:

So you will sit in traffic jam all day in this thing?

Better buy a condo close to villa market and the skytrain/bts. A car in BKK is useless.

If you are going to sit in BKK traffic, better to be sitting in a Merc.

Also, the BIB tend to let them slide through checkpoints a little easier.

• Thanks 1