Can this be right ?

DD13

I decided to post 3 face masks to England for my Brother, who has lukemia in his blood,

l put them into an 8 x 5 Jiffy envelope took it to Naklua post office, the girl said "No Airmail" then asked for B 1,800 

I assume this was for sea freight......Can this be right ?

Edited by DD13

"Sea freight" ? Um no.

While some mail may go part way by sea, the vast majority goes by air/land. These days the big difference is not in method, but in priority. 

However, I've sent many letters to Germany and Canada via EMS (basically Registered mail as it usually requires someone to sign for it and thus is less likely to end up "missing" along the way).
Never once have I been charged that much though. Maybe a tenth that much for a regular letter.

I shipped a parcel to Germany that had a fancy Shabu cooker and some goodies in it and it didn't cost that much !

8 minutes ago, CGW said:

Seriously as if! how low will folks stoop with their Anti- Thai sentiment? 

Or is it supposed to be amusing ???? 

Would you post three masks in a small envelope for 1800 baht?  That's not anti Thai.  That's anti ThaiPost.  

For me, the 1800 baht cost is the joke, but hey, all farang big money.  Right? 

Edited by Leaver
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks everybody.....Just o clarify, after I recovered from the shock, I did not send it......I plan to go to the Post Office.  Off Beach Road to see what their "Bid" is

I will report back

With regard to the "responders" question " cannot my Brother get a mask in his condition.......By now I would imagine the world will know the British  

NHS is skint......too many scrounges no doubt......too many officials who won't say NO

I just checked a package I had sent to me from Bangkok. I'd ordered 4 specially printed cloth masks from a charity promotion. They arrived via EMS (Registered mail) a couple days ago. According to the envelope, the total weight was 0.06 kgs and the postage was 18 baht.

I doubt 3 paper masks would weigh more than 4 cloth masks (each one in a pastic bag sealed inside a heavier bag).
That same envelope would have gone anywhere in Thailand for that same 18 baht.
Can't see them charging 100 times more for a smaller, lighter envelope, even if it is going overseas.

Unless they were going to charge it as "merchandise" as per the scale noted in the chart Susco linked.

20200417_133251.thumb.jpg.d4c073d8dcb3120b58e5ecedfd8fda2f.jpg

4 hours ago, DD13 said:

Thanks everybody.....Just o clarify, after I recovered from the shock, I did not send it......I plan to go to the Post Office.  Off Beach Road to see what their "Bid" is

For what?

Still not clear that ordinary airmail is down and EMS very expensive?

A mate told me DHL would quote up to 9000 Baht for a door to door service.

Remarkable how much "farang price" and other nonsense such a thread brings up.

Re- Thai Airmail post...

I just got back from the Main Sukhothai Post Office (next to the river Yom). I wanted to send a small packet (a 7" vinyl record) to someone in Sweden. I was told "cannot" as Sweden, along with many other countries are on the new 'No Airmail' list. The P.O. guy said he could send it by sea mail but it may take 2 - 3 MONTHS!!! - I shall let my Swedish friend know the bad news!????

Hmmm, the g/f sent me a package via DHL from Germany a few days ago.
Just checked the status and apparently they never even tried to ship it out of the country. The tracking updates says they tried to deliver it and notified the receiver, and that the package was awaiting pick-up - at the DHL office a couple kms from the g/f's apartment in Berlin !

For some reason it never even left their main sorting facility ! Now wondering if they will refund the cost as the g/f paid something like €50 when she sent it.

She told me that a friend of ours tried to send her some homemade "chili paste" (a mix of fried chilies, onions, garlic and some spices) but Thai Post wouldn't send it because they are worried it might have "covid". 
Probably a good thing as it sounds like it could be weeks (or more) before the package would have arrived at any rate, by which time the chili paste would have probably gone straight into the garbage !

(Lol - when I first went to Afghanistan in 2003, a friend of mine decided to send me a care package. He knew I loved Asian food so he bought some frozen Dim Sum and other things (like Wasabi peas). Even included some bamboo "steamer" dishes they cook some Dim Sum items in.
Then he got everything ready, took the frozen stuff out of the freezer, loaded it into a box and took it straight to the post office. 

What he forgot was, our mailing address was a military air base in Ontario. Mail for Afghanistan would be collected there and, when there was room, it would be loaded on a military flight to Dubai. It would then be sorted and put on another military aircraft to go to Kabul where it would go to one camp, be sorted and then delivered to the appropriate camp.
Mail could take anywhere from 11 days to 3 weeks to arrive, especially as mail was not a "priority" on the military flights so it could sit for days/weeks before finally being sent.

Needless to say. Almost 3 weeks after he sent the package, it arrived at our camp in Kabul (I think it was 18 days).
I get this box and it had an "odour" to it. Took it to the office, cut the tape and woosh ! Out came the smell ! Almost made you gag ! The Wasabi Peas (a snack in a sealed bag like potato chips) and the bamboo dishes were the only things that didn't go straight into the dumpster.

Emailed my friend and asked him what he was thinking. He replied that he saw my address was a PO box in Ontario and thought it wouldn't take more than 3 days to get there, totally not taking into account that I was actually in Afghanistan ! (As he found out awhile later when he did a tour there.)

Some places like Amazon won't ship anything overseas that is considered a "food item", even if it is dry. Coffeemate ? Nope. Crystal Light (or any other drink mix powder) ? Nope. Hard candy ? Nope.
(Yes, I can get regular, unflavoured Coffeemate in Thailand. However I have yet to find any French Vanilla, or Hazlenut or any of the other flavours of Coffeemate that are available in North America.)

Been trying for years to get some of those things shipped over here but they won't do it. Got to have it shipped to a destination in North America and then have it forwarded.