Amazing Thailand: Serial fake monk takes taxi driver for a ride! - He racks up 1,800 on meter then scarpers at temple

rooster59

Amazing Thailand: Serial fake monk takes taxi driver for a ride! - He racks up 1,800 on meter then scarpers at temple

488679.jpg

Image: Naewna

A taxi driver in Pak Kret near the Thai capital Bangkok went to the police after a monk he had been driving around disappeared.

The meter had gone up to 1,809 baht before driver Kiatisak Subin, 39, realised that it was he who had been taken for a ride.

Kiatisak said he had picked up the man in saffron from Wat Soi Thong on Rama VII. He was then instructed to take the passenger to lots of different temples in the Pak Kret area.

They finished up at Wat Phasukmaneejak on the Muang Thong Thani estate where the monk said he was just popping in to check on some merit making.

That was the last he saw of him.

The driver's wife then did the only possible thing - she posted dash cam pictures of the monk on Facebook and warned others.

They might have been alerted to the monk's legitimacy due to the fact that he had thick black eyebrows.

However, the Pak Kret police soon had Daratwin K., 32, in custody after an arrest was made at a rented room in Lad Prao Soi 91.

The suspect was charged with impersonating a man of the cloth and theft.

Taken into evidence were orange robes, a few bags including a satchel, a cartoon style face mask and some sunnies.

It was discovered that this was not the first time that Daratwin had donned robes. He was jailed in December 2015 and served about five months for impersonating a monk, theft and drug offences.

Pak Kret police are asking for other potential victims of the bogus monk to come forward.

Source: Naewna

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-04-25

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The suspect was charged with impersonating a man of the cloth

Do these Monk chap's wear budgie smugglers beneath the robe .? must increase the risk of " touching the cloth " if they don't .. I should imagine .. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

Do these Monk chap's wear budgie smugglers beneath the robe .? must increase the risk of " touching the cloth " if they don't .. I should imagine .. 

Perhaps that's why they wear orange. It's a camouflage colour - doesn't show up marks as easily as white.

(Not that I've tried 'upskirting' one to photograph and check, of course.)

16 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

Is there such a thing as a real monk, scrounging beggars in orange rags.

Not in Thailand I think . 

Not like the Self Sufficient Monks and Sisters in Europe .They don't go begging ,they WORK and sell Produce.   :wai: ????

1 hour ago, digger70 said:

Not like the Self Sufficient Monks and Sisters in Europe .They don't go begging ,they WORK and sell Produce.   :wai: ????

But then again in Europe plenty of members of another religion who don’t appear to do much work

• Like 1

1 hour ago, digger70 said:

What a novel idea!

If only they might brew beer in the monkerys here in Thailand. A lot of the Trappists monks in Belgium produce some excellent quality beer.

On 4/24/2020 at 11:34 PM, rooster59 said:

Amazing Thailand: Serial fake monk takes taxi driver for a ride

Rooster, I am surprised you chose the word SERIAL in this headline.  He cannot come into that category because, as stated in the article, he had only, as far as we know, performed this act once before and that was a while ago.

'nuf sed.

3 minutes ago, wotsdermatter said:

Rooster, I am surprised you chose the word SERIAL in this headline.  He cannot come into that category because, as stated in the article, he had only, as far as we know, performed this at once before and that was a while ago.

'nuf sed.

more of an appending sequential strike mission

-  a sort of pinball wizard of a monk?

On 4/25/2020 at 1:38 PM, OneeyedJohn said:

Is there such a thing as a real monk, scrounging beggars in orange rags.

On 4/25/2020 at 2:30 PM, OneeyedJohn said:

Look at the size of those begging bowls !

Please do Google around, you might get answers to your questions if you are willing to accept.

1.jpg

20 minutes ago, wotsdermatter said:

Rooster, I am surprised you chose the word SERIAL in this headline.  He cannot come into that category because, as stated in the article, he had only, as far as we know, performed this act once before and that was a while ago.

9877.jpg.1d5f7b55dc1f63e0de48954ff47c6224.jpg

• Haha 1