Thai Culture And Songkran Day

marshbags

The Nation Sat, April 14, 2007 : Last updated 8:57 am (Thai local time)

CULTURE SPHERE

Efforts to preserve 'traditional' Songkran must be heartfelt

Happy New Year! Yesterday was Thai New Year's Day - or Songkran Day.

Our rich culture is highlighted during the festival. The Culture Ministry has a campaign on how to celebrate the Songkran festival in a charming Thai way. Since the festival is now being celebrated in the wrong way, the government has begun campaigning for it to be celebrated in traditional Thai style, which means no water wars, putting powder on people's faces or spaghetti-strap tops for the ladies.

Water pouring is not the only key activity for this summer festival. Making merit and paying respect to the elderly as well as family reunions are also vitally important. Temples are the traditional centres for Songkran activities. We pour perfumed water or "namob Thai" over Buddha images and also pour water over the hands of the elderly - not only our parents, but also seniors in our communities. By showing this respect, Thai people believe they will be bringing about good fortune in their lives.

More fun also takes place in temples. While the elderly and monks take the opportunity to share their views on society and life with each other, youngsters enjoy creating sand pagodas and taking part in folk plays with the help of community experts. The making of a sand pagoda reflects the artistic talents and the unity of community members. After the festival, the sand from these pagodas is used for the construction of a temple. This is one way of making merit while having fun at the same time.

To rebuild the "family" institution and Buddhism, the Culture Ministry is trying hard to bring back the Thai way of life from the "good old days" in an era in which globalisation and capitalism widen the gap between successive generations.

In rural areas we might still see that charming Thai way of life, but in metropolitan areas such as Bangkok it is pretty hard to find as we are influenced by Western culture - and, for sure, culture is always changing.

Many Thais, especially the younger generation, break the rules. The Kingdom's backpacker paradise, Khao San Road, yesterday was turned into a "water war zone". Revellers were using white powder while they fired off water guns and got drunk. Girls were still clad in ultra-sexy outfits. Scenes such as this also took place in other tourist centres like Chiang Mai, Phuket and Pattaya. However, the government's campaign did help to reduce the amount of powder being used, and people were splashing one another more gently than in previous years. But the most lovely scene was that of many more Thais, and some tourists, clad in traditional Thai costume.

Refocusing on traditional Thai costumes during the Songkran festival is a key part of the Culture Ministry's campaign. Along with government officials, the ministry also asked media representatives, especially television reporters, hosts and masters of ceremonies to dress in beautiful traditional Thai silk costumes. For a week before the festival, you could see television hosts from all channels in yellow traditional Thai dress. When dressed in such a costume a person is expected to act politely, especially a lady, but many TV hosts of variety and news shows displayed an improper knowledge of manners - they talked noisily, while some ran around while working outside the studio. TV hosts are people considered by many to be role models for today's generation. I do not blame these hosts, but we cannot deny that they are like the second parents of today's teens who are raised in front of a television and computer instead of a warm family. Indeed, parents should take responsibility for their own children. Dressing up in a particular style does not equate to proper behaviour, as good manners come from habit. Campaigning only during the festival in not sufficient for preserving our rich culture, as culture is passed from generation to generation.

Like wearing yellow to pay respect to His Majesty the King, many Thais just think of the outfit without acting from their heart and understanding. After the Songkran festival, we will not be concerned with wearing beautiful traditional Thai outfits. Next year, the same campaign will be promoted. However, this needs to be promoted continuously in a smart and practical way.

The decision to wear or not to wear a traditional Thai costume does not determine whether we will be able to preserve our heritage if we think of it only as a "surface" issue.

Phatarawadee Phataranawik

marshbags :o

Well many seem to blame farangs for water throwing, I see way more Thais than farang enjoying this aspect.

Culture evolves, and I think the way you see Songkran celebrated is absolutely amazing. I've never seen anything like it.

People should be safe, however, I see both the original aspects and the modern aspect of a waterfight in practice around me. You don't have to do away with water throwing on the streets to still keep the more traditional practices intact. Let's enjoy both the modern and traditional.

Well many seem to blame farangs for water throwing, I see way more Thais than farang enjoying this aspect.

Culture evolves, and I think the way you see Songkran celebrated is absolutely amazing. I've never seen anything like it.

People should be safe, however, I see both the original aspects and the modern aspect of a waterfight in practice around me. You don't have to do away with water throwing on the streets to still keep the more traditional practices intact. Let's enjoy both the modern and traditional.

Thanks for the observations J.J.

I,ve read most of the comments on the various threads about Songkran i thought i,d offer this article on what it really means to most Thai,s and it,s role in Thai culture.

Having been active in last years debates i purposely kept out of the present ones.

I am always saddened by all grief that is caused at this time of year and it effects my judgement in preventative terms, especially as a parent.

I agree with your views on keeping the fun side of things going while re introducing the original concept back to the fore.

If members read the village threads in particular they reflect how these age old traditions are carried out and how meaningful Songkran is in the first instance and also incorporates the modern fun version for those who are able to enjoy it.

Please take a look at Macb,s thread for a great insight into how to enjoy both in:-

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=116011

He demonstrates the case on how we celebrate Isaan style splendidly, as he did last year if i might be allowed to add.

I hope you don,t mind Macb :o

The traditional is generally celebrated on the 13th which is the Thai New Year, then the fun usually starts up sometime later in the day or starts on the 14th. ( In my Moo Ban anyway )

A day of fun has been proved to keep within reason the accidents and chaos that go hand in hand with it.

WHY should it be like this ? accidents and uncontrollable chaos

It has also been proved that the longer this is extended the developing consequences of tragedy multiply.

In my village, locals on the whole are very sensible and are taught to be responsible by the elders and up to a point this works very well.

It,s as the festival progresses that the grief comes into the equation and high spirits coupled with alcohol start to do a Jekyll and Hyde and fun starts to turn into uncontrollable chaos, coupled with the inevitable tragedies.

Both Thai and foreigners are generally involved, especially in the tourist areas.

For those who say this is part of Songkran and is sanuk mak mak and don,t know any different this article explains the years old traditional celebrations in the context of what it truly means.

I would love to see both the old and the new versions continue while hopefully addressing the down side of this wonderful occasion and take the ever increasing grief out of the lattter parts of the celebrations.

Then it can truly be Sanuk Mak Mak as it,s meant to be in these modern times.

To all T.Visa Members whoever you are...........................

May your Thai New Year be a happy one and you stay safe throughout the celebrations.

Enjoyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

marshbags :D

Edited by marshbags

and?

The Headlined topic introduction refers to your " and ? " quote oooooo

" Thai Culture And Songkran Day " " Happy New Year! Yesterday was Thai New Years Day "

Please read the other reply i,ve posted for J.J. who got the O.P.s intentions and offered a sensible observation / reply.

May your Songkran continue to be a happy one and enjoy it, safely

Stay coollllllllllllllllllllllll

Edited by marshbags

Thanks for the observations J.J.

I,ve read most of the comments on the various threads about Songkran i thought i,d offer this article on what it really means to most Thai,s and it,s role in Thai culture.

Having been active in last years debates i purposely kept out of the present ones.

I am always saddened by all grief that is caused at this time of year and it effects my judgement in preventative terms, especially as a parent.

Sad to report that yet another young man from my Moo Ban has become a sad statistic ( next Soi ) leaving his distressed and heartbroken family with the consequences. ( 14-04-2007 )

He will be cremated tomorrow at the local Wat overseen by his elderly, less well off parents.

One of many who will either be injured, or killed in the name of fun ???????????????

He was killed by a hit and run car driver " THE CALLOUS BASTARD " while celebrating the " Sanuk " side of Songkran.

May he rest in peace and his parents be able to overcome / come to terms with their sad loss and grief.

I am saddened yet again in a personal way and cannot get my head around the downside which continues year after year..

marshbags :o and :D

Edited by marshbags

and?

The Headlined topic introduction refers to your " and ? " quote oooooo

" Thai Culture And Songkran Day " " Happy New Year! Yesterday was Thai New Years Day "

Please read the other reply i,ve posted for J.J. who got the O.P.s intentions and offered a sensible observation / reply.

May your Songkran continue to be a happy one and enjoy it, safely

Stay coollllllllllllllllllllllll

Just like to add an update on this sad incident.

Apparently ( confirmed ) the MALE driver lost one of his " RED " number plates in the collision, which has now been disclosed, as they have managed to trace him.

He has been arrested, but no further details at the present time.

I will post further information should i be able to get any ???

marshbags

Edited by marshbags