thai lady with a valid visa for UK can she still go ? covit19

my Thai Gf has a valid  tourist visa for the uk . i see there are still flights on the web from bangkok to london , at  https://www.esky.com/flights/select/oneway/ap/bang/ap/lon?departureDate=2020-04-26&pa=1&py=0&pc=0&pi=0&sc=economy&page=1

if she got one of the flights available  would she be allowed in ? if so what else would she need ? and links would be helpful.

cant seem to find anything on this always seem to be uk people trying to get back to UK 

There are currently no travel restrictions to the UK, so there's no reason why she wouldn't be allowed into the UK.

That said, she would need to satisfy the Border Force Officer on arrival that she is still a genuine visitor who really needs to enter at this time and would be able to return to her home country on schedule.
She may well also need to satisfy the Border Force Officer that she has somewhere to stay, many hotels are closed, and that she's able to comply with current "lockdown" rules, restaurants closed, lack of transport etc etc.
Is there a compelling reason that she has to travel now, most sensible people are putting off trips and leaving the available flights for returning UK residents? 

22 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

No.  When normal flights are again allowed it will depend on the conditions then in place.

What conditions are in place now for travel to the UK? I didn't think there were any, assuming you can get a flight.  There have been plenty of reports of people arriving at Heathrow and just passing through Border control without issue, let alone anything like quarantine requirements or even temperature checks.  Getting a flight from BKK may be more difficult.  As far as I know only EVA are operating a restricted service.

19 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Getting a flight from BKK may be more difficult.

Thailand has closed its airports to passengers except for very limited evacuation or reputation activity from my understanding.  That could change soon but no word yet AFAIK.

21 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Thailand has closed its airports to passengers except for very limited evacuation or reputation activity from my understanding.  That could change soon but no word yet AFAIK.

I'm not sure that that's still the case.  The live departure board shows a few flights already departed today, and more scheduled to leave later.  Most to Asia, although there's a Lufthansa flight to Frankfurt due to leave tonight.  

https://www.bangkokairportonline.com/flight-status-departures/

30 minutes ago, docspinoff said:

The link on my opening post shows can book. There are flights to UK 

My question is if they will allow a Thai to leave currently.  But admit nothing about this situation is very clear as far as air travel goes.  

MSN News, on 16th April, reported that a US citizen was refused entry to the UK because her visit to the UK was considered "non-essential".  There wasn't much evidence in the article to back up the allegation, and there wasn't any paperwork to confirm it. However, it could possibly be true. I can post a link to the article, if that is allowed ?  That said, the OP's girlfriend has a visa, and she would presumably have a right of appeal against refusal of entry into the UK, whereas a US citizen wouldn't.  There is nothing, of course, in the immigration rules that allows refusal of entry because a visit is non-essential, but maybe they were using some kind of "public health" reason. It's also possible that there were other reasons for refusal that weren't mentioned in the MSN article.

@Tony M no problem with an MSN link.

@docspinoff reports from the UK suggest that all arrivals will be required to do 14 days home quarantine, not confirmed yet. Keep a close eye on the requirements.

Meanwhile, I have UK family with were supposed to be coming here and are now locked down in the UK wishing they were here with our large garden, pool and sunshine.

9 minutes ago, Crossy said:

@Tony M no problem with an MSN link.

@docspinoff reports from the UK suggest that all arrivals will be required to do 14 days home quarantine, not confirmed yet. Keep a close eye on the requirements.

Meanwhile, I have UK family with were supposed to be coming here and are now locked down in the UK wishing they were here with our large garden, pool and sunshine.

Thanks, Crossy.  This is the link:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coronavirus/uk-border-force-told-us-woman-to-go-home-because-visit-was-non-essential/ar-BB12IO0J?ocid=spartandhp

On 4/26/2020 at 7:52 AM, Crossy said:

Yes, I read that in the UK media this morning that this might be in the next stage, the report in the Mail on Sunday stated that the quarantine would be legally enforceable and subject or regular checks., indeed the UK Government had been heavily criticised for their apparent "open border" stance.
It's also worth noting that the Goverment have taken over hotels near major airports for quarantining some arriving passengers, the Holiday Inn Arial, near Heathrow, being one such hotel. 

On 4/25/2020 at 4:07 PM, lopburi3 said:

This is not correct, there are currently no restrictions on DEPARTING passengers from Thailand for the few flights that are operating, I know of several people that have flown out of BKK airport in the past few days.

The things for the OP to consider are more related to UK border control and the points raised by theoldgit and that the UK was talking of putting stricter restrictions in for arriving passengers. The other consideration is whether or not a return to Thailand will be possible, bearing in mind the arrival restrictions currently in place.

1 hour ago, Mattd said:

I know of several people that have flown out of BKK airport in the past few days.

But have any used a Thai passport?  That is what I was concerned about - aware other nationalities can depart but not sure airlines will accept those using Thai passport as have not seen any reports of this being done.

On 4/25/2020 at 4:07 PM, lopburi3 said:

Thailand has closed its airports to passengers except for very limited evacuation or reputation activity from my understanding.

I'm pretty sure that only applies to inbound passengers. Outbound, no problem. (Otherwise EVA and others would not be flying here.)

On 4/25/2020 at 5:29 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

Lufthansa flight to Frankfurt

I have a Thai friend that had a valid German visa.  A few weeks ago, she was detained and returned to Thailand on a 4 passenger flight.

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

But have any used a Thai passport?  That is what I was concerned about - aware other nationalities can depart but not sure airlines will accept those using Thai passport as have not seen any reports of this being done.

A British friend and his Thai wife (Thai passport and UK Visit visa) successfully made the trip from Suvannaphumi to Heathrow yesterday. No problems departing Thailand or entering UK.

On 4/25/2020 at 3:19 PM, theoldgit said:

There are currently no travel restrictions to the UK, so there's no reason why she wouldn't be allowed into the UK.

That said, she would need to satisfy the Border Force Officer on arrival that she is still a genuine visitor who really needs to enter at this time and would be able to return to her home country on schedule.
She may well also need to satisfy the Border Force Officer that she has somewhere to stay, many hotels are closed, and that she's able to comply with current "lockdown" rules, restaurants closed, lack of transport etc etc.
Is there a compelling reason that she has to travel now, most sensible people are putting off trips and leaving the available flights for returning UK residents? 

If she has a valid visa, those questions you mention won't be asked. Those are asked when applying for the visa. 

On 4/25/2020 at 9:20 AM, lopburi3 said:

No.  When normal flights are again allowed it will depend on the conditions then in place.

Wrong...if she can get a flight there are "currently" no restrictions on anybody entering the UK. It's a bloody free for all.

3 hours ago, Max69xl said:

If she has a valid visa, those questions you mention won't be asked. Those are asked when applying for the visa. 

That response is dangerously misleading, the Border Force Officer will routinely ask visa holders the purpose of their trip, including where they're staying and who they're visiting.

If the Officer believes there has been a material change in circumstances since the visa was applied for or if they believe a visa was obtained fraudulently, they can refuse admission and the person will be returned.

5 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

Are there any updates on this ie. Thai passport holder fliying from BKK to LHR with ILR UK visa would be allowed to leave and return?

Leaving Thailand no issues.

Arriving UK no issues (subject to Old Git's comments above)

Being allowed back into Thailand will depend on flight restrictions at the time.

20 hours ago, maxcorrigan said:

...would be allowed to leave and return?

At the present time a Thai citizen would only be able to return to Thailand on a repatriation flight that was pre-arranged by the Thai government. Such a flight would be at the time and date of the Thai government's choosing. There is no guarantee a flight would be scheduled at a time or date that suits you.

The Thai citizen would need to obtain a fit to fly certificate from a doctor and a letter from the Thai Embassy in London before they were booked onto the flight.

Upon returning the Thai citizen would be placed in mandatory state quarantine for 14 days.

10 hours ago, blackcab said:

At the present time a Thai citizen would only be able to return to Thailand on a repatriation flight that was pre-arranged by the Thai government. Such a flight would be at the time and date of the Thai government's choosing. There is no guarantee a flight would be scheduled at a time or date that suits you.

The Thai citizen would need to obtain a fit to fly certificate from a doctor and a letter from the Thai Embassy in London before they were booked onto the flight.

Upon returning the Thai citizen would be placed in mandatory state quarantine for 14 days.

I s there any source for that possibly in Thai, not doubting you at all, seems a bit steep though!

9 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

I s there any source for that possibly in Thai, not doubting you at all, seems a bit steep though!

Source for what?  Thai are only allowed on arranged by Embassy flights with Embassy documents and on landing are taken into quarantine at government facilities?  This has been the case for more than a month now and the number is limited to between 200 and 300 per day as not enough capacity for more so huge backlog (thousands).  Watch any of the daily covid briefings - this is link to today's - near the end the report on such arriving flights.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=1633874896775813&ref=watch_permalink

Archived