SURVEY: Time to open up or not?

Scott

SURVEY: Time to open up or not?  

389 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There have been indications that the Thai government may start to open some businesses.   Which option bests indicates your position on re-opening the economy?

Please feel free to leave a comment.

Further reading: 

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1161334-covid-19-restaurants-salons-coffee-shops-and-sports-some-restrictions-could-be-lifted-monday/

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

Open up everything quickly, let the people who have lost their jobs re-organize their lives.

If another virus makes the news, let's ignore it completely, and let the individual deal with it.

What do you mean let the individual deal with it?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Cali farong said:

Leave it to the people not the government.  Stay home if you feel it’s not safe.

I agree, moreover a fully reopening of any closed  business, does not mean that those business will restart with the same customers frequency as before, i think some customers will stay away  for few weeks ( my simple guess), so the reopen should be organized by their owners, considering the real benefit...not only about the health matter.

What the suggested reopen program said is quite weird, and technically will never grant any social distancing....if this is the main target.

• Haha 1

we must open up due to the dire economic effects of this lockdown,people are in bad times businesses are ruined causing truly deep economic problems the world over,it needs to be done using masks temp checks hand washing etc,medically they dont know the truth completely about the virus yet.need more time for that.if we cripple the economy we will cause more problems than solve.people at risk must be protected and we need to establish who has immunity etc.ongoing.

• Like 2

I think kids under 30 don't care, feel immune, and they usually don't have kids or think too deeply about mortality.

if older than 60, depends.  if single, keep it closed.  if they have kids who are financially suffering due to covid, open it up.  depends again

if government worker, close it forever

if business worker, open it forever

if student, whatever...pass the weed

if mother, probably keep it closed and do everything for longer

so it depends i think

i say open it up AFTER China pays us each 1 TRILLION.....if you pay me, i'll be a sheep.  

4 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Calling names shows the level of your culture, sorry, i am not going there.

I just did some quick search and found this, according to John Hopkins

COVID-19: Approximately 197,578 deaths reported worldwide; 51,949 deaths in the U.S., as of Apr. 25, 2020.*

Flu: 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.

So in 51 days since the 1st case in the US there have been 51,000 deaths compared to a normal yearly US total of up to 61,000. And this is with huge pressure on social distancing, stay at home etc. With exponential growth and no social distancing it would be a scary number. Not just normal flu.

I saw in UK news that 18 Transport for London Bus drivers have passed away.... is that like normal flu? Have you seen the deaths in Spain, Italy, France? Is that really normal flu?

1 minute ago, smutcakes said:

I just did some quick search and found this, according to John Hopkins

COVID-19: Approximately 197,578 deaths reported worldwide; 51,949 deaths in the U.S., as of Apr. 25, 2020.*

Flu: 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.

So in 51 days since the 1st case in the US there have been 51,000 deaths compared to a normal yearly US total of up to 61,000. And this is with huge pressure on social distancing, stay at home etc. With exponential growth and no social distancing it would be a scary number. Not just normal flu.

I saw in UK news that 18 Transport for London Bus drivers have passed away.... is that like normal flu? Have you seen the deaths in Spain, Italy, France? Is that really normal flu?

Of course i was exaggerating a bit, but if you look the numbers in south East Asia, where is this deadly virus ? Only in the media, apparently.

I think the sheer number of the unemployed, if you dare to look into it, is much more scary than the virus death numbers.

• Like 2

Just stop calling it a lockdown! It isn't. It is just a series of sensible safeguarding measures to reduce the spread of a highly infectious disease in a community notorious for ignoring officialdom and it's working. And it could help sort out the gig economy which allows that section of the community that extracts inordinate profit and then dumps their workforce at the first sign of a problem.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

While there are not a lot of places open around where i live,

in the last week,there are a lot more people and traffic about,

don't know what they are all doing,just getting out of the house

i suppose.

regards worgeordie

Ditto in lower suk last few days.

Phase 1 opening:  The key term will be something like 50 to 60% capacity only. For instance if a restaurant can normally seat 10 people then only 5 o 6 customer allowed in at one time.  The same would go for airlines, buses etc.

As for service providers I do not see a high risk if a barber just cuts hair.  I do see higher risk if the same barber shaves the customer.  If  both the barber and customer wear masks, sanitize hands, equipment, chair and smock before then I see little risk in cutting hair.  At the current time tattoo parlors should not be allowed to open.  

Massage Spas and salons?  Who knows.  The safest massage I see at the current time is a foot massage with masks and sanitizers? 

As for gyms I see it this way. 

1) No air conditioning.  Open air with fans and reduced capacity(the same 50 to 60% rule).  Gyms with showers should close them off.  Also, reduction in the number equipment to create more open space.  

Edited by sqwakvfr
Grammar
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

Open up everything quickly, let the people who have lost their jobs re-organize their lives.

If another virus makes the news, let's ignore it completely, and let the individual deal with it.

Quite frankly I really can't understand either you or others maintaining that individuals must decide and not the authorities. Unfortunately the actions of one individual can lead to hundreds of infections and many deaths. I think we must accept the fact that the health of the population and the economy go hand in hand, as long as developments are controlled by and adjusted in accordance with scientific based decisions by the authorities. If everything is opened up and thousands die, the economy will also follow suit.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2