Are lockdowns worth their costs?

Brunolem

When you talk with local people they are suffering the food handouts in the area are not enough 10kg rice is not going to last long with a family of 5 to feed.

I did give him everything we had another 10kg of rice almost all the dried food we had plus cooking oil 2 big packs of mama tin's of sardines 

Edited by ChipButty
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Jury is out whether it improves the situation, what we do know is it kills the economy, businesses, jobs and lives

Screenshot_20200426-050547.png

Sweden only record a coronavirus death for people who die and who are then tested and prove positive for corona virus. They don't test all so their numbers are low. So I am told.

4 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Sweden only record a coronavirus death for people who die and who are then tested and prove positive for corona virus. They don't test all so their numbers are low. So I am told.

Many countries have similar issues, Sweden includes deaths from retirement homes, UK don't

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

It would be interesting to see how much support there would be for "opening up economies" if this virus only killed middle-aged, rightwing fascists.

You hear millions in India are currently starving from lockdown and restrictions? so lockdown worth it? suicide figures don't get reported but i hear it's higher than the number of Corona deaths in Thailand

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

I value life quite much, but is it worth to destabilize and starve millions to save hundreds ?

I would ask you the same questions, how much you value life, and how many dead is acceptable.

It was clear from the beginning that the cure was worse than the disease, except for the ones who cannot look further than their belly.

correct

who are they saving?

locking down retirement homes is easily done.

People who value life want to open up.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

There is going to be argument about which is the better course of action for many years to come.

From an entirely selfish perspective:

I am in the most vulnerable age cohort.

I have a part pension and income from various assets.

My living costs here have decreased about 45%.

I have enough cash on hand to last me for 18 months, at my former rate of expenditure.

Lockdown is only inconveniencing me from the point of view of travel, and restaurants/massage shops being open. I would like to resume swimming.

It doesn't take Einstein to figure out which course I am in favor of.

The question is whether 54,000 deaths in the USA is preferable to 83 deaths in Australia, if the economy is going to do better. However, what seems to have gone missing is the fact our environment is benefiting from the slowdown in human activity.

That comparison is useless. Different types of cities and structures.

The environment? People are eating more food. More animals being killed one thinks.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, TheDark said:

Yes, slowing down the overheated economy is a good thing. With this slowdown, previous humanoids who run aimlessly the rat race are slowly turning back to human beings. I think that is a good thing.

The world was going badly wrong before this pandemic. Moronic populists were gaining power - now we have seen how glueless they are as leaders. Things will change after this is over. 

The trickle down economy made the rich even richer and poor even poorer in many parts of the world. I' not too sure, that can continue much longer anymore - or otherwise the ordinary people will make revolutions happen. This time it's not just students who protests, but great middle masses of middle class people who will join in. 

The nature looks better, the air looks better, the waters look better. What there is not to love about that.

I don't need the latest iPhone or huge 3D-television in my home. Those are not essential items. I prefer clean air and water much more than latest tech gimmick.

Global reality check is a good thing overall.

Excellent points raised, opened my eyes.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, UbonThani said:

That comparison is useless. Different types of cities and structures.

The environment? People are eating more food. More animals being killed one thinks.

The oil price has plummeted, it's called supply and demand. There are next to no airplanes flying.

Here's a video which may help you understand the environmental effect. Bad for the economy, good for the environment. Just one airport in the US, Pittsburgh.

13 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

There is going to be argument about which is the better course of action for many years to come.

From an entirely selfish perspective:

I am in the most vulnerable age cohort.

I have a part pension and income from various assets.

My living costs here have decreased about 45%.

I have enough cash on hand to last me for 18 months, at my former rate of expenditure.

Lockdown is only inconveniencing me from the point of view of travel, and restaurants/massage shops being open. I would like to resume swimming.

It doesn't take Einstein to figure out which course I am in favor of.

I am very much in the same situation as you, with similar expectations... 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The oil price has plummeted, it's called supply and demand. There are next to no airplanes flying.

Here's a video which may help you understand the environmental effect. Bad for the economy, good for the environment. Just one airport in the US, Pittsburgh.

Makes little difference. All short term. Lots of farm burn offs still which are far worse than planes.

50 minutes ago, Sujo said:

How many dead is acceptable.

This is from a May 1996 interview on 60 Minutes, about the effects of the sanctions on Irak:

We have heard that half a million children have died. I mean, that is more children than died in Hiroshima. And, you know, is the price worth it?

To which Ambassador Albright responded,

I think that is a very hard choice, but the price, we think, the price is worth it.

California has had 1684 corona virus deaths, NY State has had 16,509 according to the New York Times.  California started social distancing early.  Hard to know what is best (for reasonable people it's hard anyway, some always know everything), but is seems like social distancing worked.

• Like 1