Report says Thailand’s suicide rate increasing during coronavirus pandemic

rooster59

Report says Thailand’s suicide rate increasing during coronavirus pandemic

TSNBg3wSBdng7ijM8G6qCPMso8nV2povex9z7Gx3SpO.jpg

Driven to desperation by the unprecedented economic impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, the number of Thais taking their own lives to escape their hardship has increased, according to a research paper commissioned by the Office of the Committee for the Promotion of Science, Research and Innovations.

The research was conducted by a group of academics from Chiang Mai, Chulalongkorn, Thammasat, Thaksin, Khon Kaen and Burapha universities, based on press reports published during the first three weeks of April, during which the national lockdown measures were in place.

The report says that there were 38 suicide attempts during that period, resulting in 28 deaths, adding that, while the lockdown has been somewhat successful in slowing the rate of new COVID-19 infections and deaths, it has also had a devastating impact on the economy.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/report-says-thailands-suicide-rate-increasing-during-coronavirus-pandemic/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2020-04-26

The charity Samaritans is available around the clock for people who want to talk. 

If you or anyone you know is in need of mental health services, please contact the Samaritans of Thailand at their 24-hour hotline 02-713-6791 (English), 02713-6793 (Thai) or Thai Mental Health Hotline at 1323 (Thai).

• Sad 1

The report says that there were 38 suicide attempts during that period, resulting in 28 deaths

The 5k handout need to be rushed to all applicants, last weeks news about people who ended their life, because their 5k application was rejected.

A human life are sadly so cheap here.

• Like 2

The 5000 baht handout has been a farce so far. I have seen Thais living in South Korea boasting their Louis Vuitton bags while declaring that their relatives in Thailand received the 5000 (despite them sending thousands of baht of support each month).

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

45 minutes ago, pj123 said:

Last year there were 10,000 suicides in Thailand. https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thailand-leads-asean-nations-in-annual-suicide-rate

That is an average of 27 per day.

The combined brains of six universities have counted 27 in three weeks when the figure should be approx 567 and most likely more due to the current economic crisis

Something wrong with the figures and I cant read or magnify the graph easily. But I know of 2.

1 hour ago, Lacrimas said:

The 5000 baht handout has been a farce so far. I have seen Thais living in South Korea boasting their Louis Vuitton bags while declaring that their relatives in Thailand received the 5000 (despite them sending thousands of baht of support each month).

Although that is just one example and that doesnt make the whole scheme a "farce".

suicide, IMO, is extremely complicated.  I asked a doctor like 5-years ago..."Am I depressed?"  He laughed and said, "no way."  But I wasn't happy, but I wasn't going to hurt myself.  I had cash, gf, but needed a new passion.  Then I took vitamin B12.....and I think (not sure) that was the solution for me.  maybe it was placebo.  blood tests didn't say i needed it.  who knows, something switched.  maybe it was something else i don't remember.

now everything is more of a game and i've lived long enough to understand the game.  if i lose all my money, house, everything... OK, game on...let's see what happens.  maybe it would be a good experience to really face real adversity.  but hasn't happened, because i plan.  the word "good" isn't correct.  but i do believe we all face hard times.  

so then the only suicide thought MIGHT happen if i lose my health and can't take care of myself and draining money from others.  but i still don't think i would.....unless maybe i lost both my legs and arms.  

then maybe dementia, but probably wouldn't be strong enough to do it.

yea.....i can find happiness almost every day.  

i don't take prescription meds, which can really hurt people mentally.  no drugs, no alcohol... keep it simple.  

rule #1.  love yourself first.  give yourself a safety net;  your mind.  if you can handle yourself, you should be fine.  

You have to be proud of something YOU have done.  Something that took hard work and you got a good result.  Something that gives you hope.  I have tons of accomplishments that required years and years of hard work.  people used to say, "cocky" or "confident."  whatever, it kept me strong.  

Edited by Ventenio

6 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Just maybe a working system regarding the 5 000 baht handouts would have helped to keep the numbers lower.

My GF is very p###ed, she hasn't got it. There are some filters operating, if the bank balance is too high or your work is farming you don't get it. Presumably the latter is because you can grow your own food, so you won't starve. Thai logic.

• Like 2

The cure is worse than the disease. But most governments are going to lie and tell you that thanks them you are still alive. You now have no job, no house. No chance of a job. But you are so lucky. You are one of the 99.997% of the world's population that did not die from Covid19. Be thankful. Oh, forgot to mention, as the country is in such dire economic straits, your social security is being cut by 50%.  And your local hospital is closing, and so is the nearest school. Worse to come, but we'll save that for later. In the mean time please don't kill yourself. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Driven to desperation by the unprecedented economic impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, the number of Thais taking their own lives to escape their hardship has increased, according to a research paper commissioned by the Office of the Committee for the Promotion of Science, Research and Innovations.

Yes. Sad though it is, and I really do sympathise, because, as fiercely as I criticise Thais for their culture, the quality of their life is, in general not very high, especially around here. This was pretty predictable though, indeed I think one poster did exactly that several weeks ago.  He  (I think it was a he) was right.

2 hours ago, rocksniffer said:

The cure is worse than the disease. But most governments are going to lie and tell you that thanks them you are still alive. You now have no job, no house. No chance of a job. But you are so lucky. You are one of the 99.997% of the world's population that did not die from Covid19. Be thankful. Oh, forgot to mention, as the country is in such dire economic straits, your social security is being cut by 50%.  And your local hospital is closing, and so is the nearest school. Worse to come, but we'll save that for later. In the mean time please don't kill yourself. 

deleted

14 minutes ago, ParkerN said:

Yes. Sad though it is, and I really do sympathise, because, as fiercely as I criticise Thais for their culture, the quality of their life is, in general not very high, especially around here. This was pretty predictable though, indeed I think one poster did exactly that several weeks ago.  He  (I think it was a he) was right.

Are you saying a poster here killed himself recently??  Who was it??  How do you know?

Thailand less the 70 deaths from covid to date

I don't know if its worth the lockdown, worst case scenario 1k deaths PY x3 years , 3k  IMOP

28 deaths from suicide during the crisis

2017 -published causes of deaths

deaths contributed to heart disease 63k  

deaths contributed to influenza  60k

deaths from kidney disease  29k 

traffic deaths 21k

All cancers 65k

deaths from suicide 10k

deaths  from malaria? 

https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/thailand-coronary-heart-disease

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pj123 said:

Last year there were 10,000 suicides in Thailand. https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thailand-leads-asean-nations-in-annual-suicide-rate

That is an average of 27 per day.

The combined brains of six universities have counted 27 in three weeks when the figure should be approx 567 and most likely more due to the current economic crisis

A very good point. Just shows how data is falsified.

6 hours ago, Lacessit said:

My GF is very p###ed, she hasn't got it. There are some filters operating, if the bank balance is too high or your work is farming you don't get it. Presumably the latter is because you can grow your own food, so you won't starve. Thai logic.

Yes, and the filters are actually worse than you think. It´s not only reacting on true farmers and the owner of the land. The filters are in place for reacting on family members of farmers, and then they got rejected as well. However, apparently they are working on fixing that after people re-submitted their applications. The bank balance is apparently set at 100k out of what I´ve heard.However, that clause I can understand, but not a filter that rejects if you are family to a farmer. That´s just plain sick!

9 hours ago, djayz said:

I sincerely doubt anybody contemplating suicide is going to be swayed by 5k THB per month, let alone 5k once off. These people have much more serious financial and emotional worries. 

Some people are just psychologically not strong enough to weather difficult times. 

You are somehow right, but it would probably help some as well. Having 5k instead of nothing can mean a lot. For many Thai families that is food on the table for more than 1 month. But sure, for many that becomes suicidal, it´s not even about money. Sometimes it´s as easy as people can´t cope with a negative difference in life.  That´s what we all must cope with now in one way or another. Negativity is individual, as well as the effect of negativity.

Edited by Matzzon

13 hours ago, UbonThani said:

Time to open up. Lockdowns doing more harm. Plenty of scientists saying this.

The numbers dont agree with you.

Open up will be more deaths. If you want to roll the dice then the suicides are part of that. Natural selection and all.

How do you know all suicides are because of the lockdown.