Exercising/masks

RoyLee

I notice more people exercising outdoors since the gyms are closed.  Mostly Thai , jogging with the mask covering their nose and mouth.  I am still getting used to the stuffiness of them just walking,  When I go cycling, I eventually pull it down a bit so I can breath through my nose.  Wondering how strict police are.  Also looking for specific/do's/don'ts re the lockdown, beside masks and 8pm(or is it 10pm) curfew. 

• Thanks 1

When laws are written in haste, and often they are, they usually do not include details.

If the law states you must wear a mask, you could wear it around your neck, or on top of you head, around your arm, and in spirit, still be compliant.

If you are riding a bicycle, why would you need a mask, other than to prevent breathing of the ever-present pollution? What if you are riding in a car without a mask, and the moon roof is open? Is this too considered a faux pas such that the police will throw a fit? Doubtful.

Regarding a curfew, you are required to remain indoors. Outside of curfew, wear a mask if visiting a store/shop, or getting takeout from a restaurant. This is not rocket science.

P.S. I am not a medical doctor, nor profess to know anything other than how to fly "rockets". I also cannot predict how educational dropouts (i.e. your typical BiB) is going to enforce the law.

• Like 2

RoyLee, I purchased some PM 2.5 masks that have a respiratory valve on each side.  When I first started running wearing a regular mask without the valves, it did feel like i would suffocate.  However, with the masks having the 2 valves, the air flows in and out fairly easy.  The only issue is the amount of sweat that builds up on the underside of the mask as it gets sweaty inside.  I can say that I have watched the bicyclists and others running wearing similar masks.  Been about a week since I started to use the mask I described, and I feel very good during my 6 km's I put in. 

• Like 1

More and more often I see here in Pattaya Thais and foreigners without mask. Perhaps this law is not enforced enough - if at all. Or (and perhaps because of this) some people simply don't want to care. 

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

RoyLee, I purchased some PM 2.5 masks that have a respiratory valve on each side.  When I first started running wearing a regular mask without the valves, it did feel like i would suffocate.  However, with the masks having the 2 valves, the air flows in and out fairly easy.  The only issue is the amount of sweat that builds up on the underside of the mask as it gets sweaty inside.  I can say that I have watched the bicyclists and others running wearing similar masks.  Been about a week since I started to use the mask I described, and I feel very good during my 6 km's I put in. 

With masks with valves you protect yourself but not others. The air that you breathe out is not filtered.

I suffer from asthma, and attend a clinic every 3 months at the local government hospital.

One thing that keeps my asthma under control is regular exercise, so I walk, very early, round a local lake, but cannot do it wearing a mask, as it brings on a panic attack, wearing it for a lengthy period of time,

The majority of Thais at that time are also maskless, and I might get an occassional glance from a Thai, but as it is not compulsory here, I really don't care what they think. For me, it's either walk with no mask, which is good for my asthma, or stay at home, and I choose the former.

I actually have an appointment tomorrow at the same hospital (different clinic), and I am going to enquire about possibly obtaining a letter from a doctor, in case any person of authority decides to challenge my decision.

I do wear it where it is deemed compulsory, public transport, shops, hospital, immigration etc., but they are much shorter periods of time.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Here in China I cycle using same type mask ... Two vents .. I just pull the mask down when out in the sticks ... It goes up when I have to enter the place I live (they do temp and ID checks) ... Sound like the similar approach should work in Thailand as well ...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

I suffer from asthma, and attend a clinic every 3 months at the local government hospital.

One thing that keeps my asthma under control is regular exercise, so I walk, very early, round a local lake, but cannot do it wearing a mask, as it brings on a panic attack, wearing it for a lengthy period of time,

The majority of Thais at that time are also maskless, and I might get an occassional glance from a Thai, but as it is not compulsory here, I really don't care what they think. For me, it's either walk with no mask, which is good for my asthma, or stay at home, and I choose the former.

I actually have an appointment tomorrow at the same hospital (different clinic), and I am going to enquire about possibly obtaining a letter from a doctor, in case any person of authority decides to challenge my decision.

I do wear it where it is deemed compulsory, public transport, shops, hospital, immigration etc., but they are much shorter periods of time.

How about put a mask on .. then cut some 5mm dia holes in it ???? ... To make it easier to breath .. Unless you can get a 2.5   3M mask with a vent on the side.  May be a better option that trying to argue with the locals .. Letter or no letter from the hospital ...

• Confused 1

I generally wear the mask on top of my head, like a kippah (a Jewish cap), unless I'm in a public place or within 2 metres of a stranger. I tried wearing it on my chin, but the sweaty chin got a bit annoying after a while, and it rubbed my stubble.

I've been stopped by the old bill several times recently in the car, and they were quite happy that I was wearing the face mask as a hat, and even gave me the thumbs up.

Completely useless, other than the fact that my lip balm and hair gel now cross paths and serve a dual purpose.

(and yes, I am Jewish, but that's not the point obviously)

Edited by Flying Clog

On 4/26/2020 at 12:57 PM, steelepulse said:

My wife told me she saw some Thai lady giving a foreigner grief that was riding a bike without a mask.  He told her that there is no one around, but the Thai lady wasn't buying it and kept giving him grief.

Did he give her the ole FO? 

Not to get into the mask debate thing, but wearing them like this when exercising etc probably does more harm than good in the long run. Not to mention the build up of germs.

I am an "early" riser, and prior to COVID-19 pandemic, my Thai wife and I typically would exercise by a 60-minute walk up/down the beach (06:30am to 07:30am).  When the authorities closed the beach, we shifted to a similar duration walk on the side of the road (we live in sort of a countryside area of Phuket).  There were very few people on the road at that time, and I would carry my mask, and when anyone came else walking came within 10-meters, I would put the mask on.  I venture only about 50% of the people were wearing masks - so by my putting a mask on when someone else exercising approached, I think I was closer to following the rules.

However we had some people complain we weren't following the rules, so in the end we have stopped doing our morning walks. 

Instead we found a 30-minute somewhat strenuous work out video on Youtube, that we do every morning from 06:30am to 7:00am inside of our condominium unit.  Fortunately we have a very large living area in our condo, so there is lots of room for us to do the work out.  Then after the workout video ends, we switch running shoes from our indoor shoes to outdoor running shoes, and run up/down our condominium complex outdoor stairs (6 flights) a half dozen times.   Hopefully I don't get a heart attack from the stairs.  ????

We still get our exercise, and since we don't leave our condominium/residence complex, I think we are closer to abiding by the mask rules - and now no one is complaining.

Still, I look forward to the time when the Beaches are open and we can do our exercise walking up/down the beach without a mask, and not have someone complain.

Edited by oldcpu

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The signs say no mask required when exercising, but stay 2m from other people.

We don't jog thou ... only a fast walk, and I don't think that is considered by many as an exercise that is mask exempt.

A mask impedes breathing, and it is important to breathe properly when doing any form of cardiovascular exercise. It's not rocket science, find a place to exercise away from other people.

There are times I get within 2 meters of others cycling here in Phuket town in traffic.  Pulling the mask down under my nose helps. I noticed other cyclists (Thai only in my area) wear the mask covering their nose/mouth at all times but tend to be going at a sabai-sabai pace.

56 minutes ago, RoyLee said:

There are times I get within 2 meters of others cycling here in Phuket town in traffic.  Pulling the mask down under my nose helps. I noticed other cyclists (Thai only in my area) wear the mask covering their nose/mouth at all times but tend to be going at a sabai-sabai pace.

I am quite convinced there is no other nationality on the planet that can ride a bicycle as slowly as a Thai. It's like they have gyroscopes.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Haha 1

I pull the mask down a bit under the nose and no problem walking and breathing, but running and cycling might be harder.

I was also wondering about the 8pm curfew in Phuket,  is that still on... !? And next week... ?

It was from previous Phuket governor and even before federal government legal 10pm was issued, and I think to water it down they said we recommend blah blah, and it's not a legislative law,  but I don't think I win that argument at 9pm with a nasty officer if this rule is still in place, and probably have to cough up some baht to let go. So want to get more info... 

Edited by Agusts