Air Asia publishes fit-to-fly guidelines when they take to Asia’s skies again

webfact

Air Asia publishes fit-to-fly guidelines when they take to Asia’s skies again

By The Thaiger

51053090-kuala-lumpur-malaysia-may-02-20

Captain Ling Liong Tien, the Chief Safety Officer @ AirAsia, has sent out an email to customers laying down a detailed list of new requirements for early-adopters in the post-covid regional travel world. It doesn’t look like a lot of fun, but there will at least be a means for airlines, airline staff, and passengers, to again take to the skies over Thailand. And eventually, the region and beyond.

“First and foremost, it is your responsibility to ensure that you are eligible to travel, be it international or domestic before booking a flight.”

• All AirAsia guests will be required to bring their own mask and wear it properly before, during and after the flight, including during check-in and bag collection. Guests without a mask will be denied boarding.

• Carry-on cabin baggage. To facilitate social distancing especially during embarkation and disembarkation, we will only allow ONE piece of cabin baggage not exceeding 5 kg for each guest (usually 7 or 10 kg, depending on the airline you fly). This will help minimise unwanted contact between you and another guests’ baggage.

• Please arrive early at the airport, preferably 3 hours before departure, to allow for enough time for all the necessary processes to take place.

• Aircraft will undergo disinfection including a deep clean performed using cleaning agents in accordance with Airbus Aircraft maintenance Manual.

• Every night aircraft will go under a thorough 2 hour cleaning procedure, in compliance with instructions from health authorities.

• Temperature screening will take place at different checkpoints, including boarding gates.

• Cabin crew will go through temperature checks after every shift.

• Social distancing will be observed with floor markers at queuing areas, including check-in counters & kiosks.

• Alternate check-in counters will be opened to keep social distancing.

• Hand sanitisers will be available through processing points for guests and staff.

• Cabins will be disinfected via aerosol spraying before departure of all domestic and international flights.

• Pre-flight briefings on safety and hygiene will be conducted for all boarding cabin crew to ensure we are consistently following the most up-to-date advice.

• Contactless web and mobile check-in to reduce surface and physical contact in check-in and boarding processes.

• All cabin crew will be in protective equipment including masks and gloves.

• Seat distancing. When flight occupancy allows, for guests to move within respective zones, under cabin crew’s guidance. recent Thai CAA guidelines stated that guest will be seated in every other seat, so that planes would only be able to carry 50% of their total passenger load).

• All meals are produced and packaged hygienically following strict food safety requirements (up to date the Thai CAA has said there will be no food or refreshment service on domestic flights in Thailand).

• Cabin crew handling menu items will wear disposable gloves.

• Temperature checks will occur before arrival to destinations where temperature screening is mandatory.

• Health declaration forms will be handed out to be filled out before or on arrival.

• Thermal screening will take place upon arrival.

• Transit passengers will be asked to stay at the airport.

• Mandatory quarantine may take place as per regulations at your destination country.

Source: https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/cv19-asia/air-asia-publishes-fit-to-fly-guidelines-when-they-take-to-asias-skies-again

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2020-04-27

9 minutes ago, ezzra said:

It's nothing but a lip service, if i have learned anything in 35 years living in this country, i doubt very much if even half of the above will be put to practice, maybe in the first few days but after that, business as usual...

You're probably right but they still have to advertise it to cover their asses

• Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

• Please arrive early at the airport, preferably 3 hours before departure, to allow for enough time for all the necessary processes to take place.

Does this mean they will open check-in counters at this time? Or are passengers expected to mill around till they open two hours prior to departure as per the norm previously as this has been the advice for several years.

• Like 1

If they think for one minute I am going to address all these requirements including a health certificate then they need another think, while I understand their  thought processes, I f I fly from where I live to Bangkok, I can get there in 6 hours by car, , no checks no waiting around for up to three hours and certainly have some food along the way , Currently fuel prices are almost so cheap that 4 people driving to Bangkok will be considerably cheaper, also not having to deal with semi-officious staff is also a plus Longer distances also cheaper for four people . Individually maybe the same, but unless Airlines take a pragmatic view they will all go to the wall including Thai Air which is almost there already. 

• Like 2

As I read it, there's no requirement for a health certificate from a doctor, at least on Air Asia's part. There's a requirement for a health declaration, which is normally something you prepare and sign yourself. (Of course airports/immigration on departure or arrival might nonetheless want to see a health certificate.)

The big change affecting passengers seems to be the reduction in weight of carryon to 5kg. Not sure I understand that. Enforcing the 7kg and size rules strictly would be sufficient, I think.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

This company still hasn't sorted out refunds for flights they cancelled more than a month ago.

You'd have to be mad to book with them at the moment.

I would agree unless for a flight departing imminently.

Last night I saw an interview with Michael O'Leary of Ryanair. He addressed the issue of refunds saying that their refund requests had gone from (10,000/month, I think) to 10 million and that is being processed by a reduced staff force so it would take months, maybe a year to clear them all. How much truth there is in that, who knows?

He also said that if regulators insist on social distancing i.e. every second seat empty, he will not restart Ryanair. O'Leary has a pretty big mouth though so we'll see.

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

This company still hasn't sorted out refunds for flights they cancelled more than a month ago.

You'd have to be mad to book with them at the moment.

Wel, my return flight on 11 March last from HKT to BKK with Thaiairlines  was also canceld, they told me I have to wait 3 month before I get my money back, minus 500HKD!

This will help minimise unwanted contact between you and another guests’ baggage.

Next, they'll send all "another guests' baggage" to the 14-day mandatory quarantine :cheesy:

Joking aside, they could do away with all this disinfection nonsense if they kept an eye on the temperature and humidity of the aircraft's aircon system instead. The average 15°C/60°F I experienced on my first (and last) AirAsia flight a while ago is the perfect environment for droplet infection germs (flu, covid).

10 hours ago, ezzra said:

It's nothing but a lip service, if i have learned anything in 35 years living in this country, i doubt very much if even half of the above will be put to practice, maybe in the first few days but after that, business as usual...

And for embarking/disembarking the metal tube all theory anyway even at 50% occupancy. Or will every passenger be called up individually? One hour to fill, one hour to empty? More nonsense. Allow flying or forbid it. Basic health check, masks and hygiene welcome.

5 hours ago, taxout said:

The big change affecting passengers seems to be the reduction in weight of carryon to 5kg. Not sure I understand that. Enforcing the 7kg and size rules strictly would be sufficient, I think.

Seems they now include checked baggage even at the starter price to compensate.

At least that is what I have seen on their booking site.

Not the carry as much as you can lift madness at RyanAir(?).

Edited by KhunBENQ

14 minutes ago, Nakdontree said:

The average 15°C/60°F I experienced on my first (and last) AirAsia flight a while ago is the perfect environment for droplet infection germs (flu, covid).

And a perfect chance to catch a nice cold or worsen your condition.

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Not the carry as much as you can lift madness at RyanAir(?).

It's easyJet, but actually works OK as physical size is still restricted.

9 hours ago, Khun Paul said:

If I fly from where I live to Bangkok, I can get there in 6 hours by car, , no checks no waiting around for up to three hours and certainly have some food along the way , Currently fuel prices are almost so cheap that 4 people driving to Bangkok will be considerably cheaper, also not having to deal with semi-officious staff is also a plus Longer distances also cheaper for four people . Individually maybe the same, but unless Airlines take a pragmatic view they will all go to the wall including Thai Air which is almost there already. 

More travel in parties of less than 4 so what works for you is not universal.  Even then the convenience is often worth more than the baht/euro/pound/dollar cost.

9 hours ago, taxout said:

I think it's more to encourage a laptop bag/handbag or equivalent rather than allowing people these rollaboards which slow everything down and cause congestion (less distancing).  If they've upscaled hold baggage to compensate as someone has suggested then it's a good move for all.

Edited by treetops

"I think it's more to encourage a laptop bag/handbag or equivalent rather than allowing people these rollaboards which slow everything down and cause congestion (less distancing)."

That's why I suggested they could resolve the problem simply by enforcing current size and weight rules. No need to cut down to 5kgs.

as you can see from the photo attached, the best way to STAY safe on

airasia flight is to book the front sits, covered in red, which

are a bit more expensive.

those seats are usually empty because airasia passengers are all the cheap charlies

who don't want to spend 5 dollars more, so you can be sure to stay virus free

if you book those seats.

my personal plan is to get on a flight as soon as possible - that

will take me one way - home !!

than i am not going to even think about getting on  a flight for at least

one year.

i guess most travellers will be like me - people who are stranded abroad

and just to get back home when the situation will come down a bit, and than

stay put on the ground.

who in his sane mind will get now on a flight just for a vacation?

the airlines will experience a boom - of all the home goers - and than bust - of

the home staying !!

my only fear is that there won't be much flights to get me back home.

sorry airines, but that's the reality now.

3 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

my personal plan is to get on a flight as soon as possible - that

will take me one way - home !!

than i am not going to even think about getting on  a flight for at least

one year.

i guess most travellers will be like me - people who are stranded abroad

and just to get back home when the situation will come down a bit, and than

stay put on the ground.

who in his sane mind will get now on a flight just for a vacation?

the airlines will experience a boom - of all the home goers - and than bust - of

the home staying !!

my only fear is that there won't be much flights to get me back home.

sorry airines, but that's the reality now.

I would get on a flight right now, even if it was just for a vacation.

Domestic travel is cheap in Thailand. Even if the fares were to double or triple in price it wouldn't stop me going.

14 hours ago, taxout said:

That's why I suggested they could resolve the problem simply by enforcing current size and weight rules. No need to cut down to 5kgs.

Disagree, as current rules permit the rollaboards that cause the problem.  Cutting down to smaller bags gets rid of these.  Lighter ones makes them all more manageable so less congestion, but it's the size that's the biggest issue.

On 4/27/2020 at 2:47 AM, ezzra said:

What will Thailand enforce for the Chinese tourists once their allowed back in and will they abide by the rules?