I need to see a dentist soon

AlaskaDave

Hi,

I have developed an infection in a tooth that is serious enough to require an extraction. The infection and associated swelling was becoming very painful so I started a course of antibiotic treatment that has eliminated the pain and swelling for now but it's only a temporary fix. I can't keep taking this very strong antibiotic indefinitely.

My regular dentist does not answer his phone. His office is probably closed and I suspect most other dentists' offices are too. Does anybody know if there is a dentist here in Chiang Mai that is available to see me?

Thanks very much.

If prerelease data is to be believed dentists will not be allowed to return to work until June 1.  That said believe extraction is allowed under current rules so if infection is under control would visit a hospital dental clinic (in pain) and request same.

• Like 1

Okay, that seems like a good idea. I am already registered at several Chiang Mai hospitals so I reckon I'll call around to inquire. Do you happen to know which of either Chiang Mai Ram or Bangkok Hospital might be my best bet?

6 minutes ago, AlaskaDave said:

Okay, that seems like a good idea. I am already registered at several Chiang Mai hospitals so I reckon I'll call around to inquire. Do you happen to know which of either Chiang Mai Ram or Bangkok Hospital might be my best bet?

I don't - sorry.  But would visit myself as much harder to say no in person to someone in pain.

Thanks for your help.

I've been to Chiang Mai Ram before and was pleased with the service. Given the current health risk from Covid, I would really rather not visit any hospital but if I cannot manage the pain, I will do it.

Dave

Just now, AlaskaDave said:

Thanks for your help.

I've been to Chiang Mai Ram before and was pleased with the service. Given the current health risk from Covid, I would really rather not visit any hospital but if I cannot manage the pain, I will do it.

Dave

Actually, from my limited experience, hospitals are almost empty and have much better infection protocols than normal.

33 minutes ago, cmsally said:

There is a dentist just on the south side of Sompet market which I have been past a few times (in the last weeks) and it looks very much open.

I just looked it up on google

streetview

Called Anutin dental clinic.

This is the only telephone number I could find.

https://www.yellowpages.co.th/en/profile/Anutin-Dental-Clinic-93V9JPoog

Anutin!! Wouldn't give me much confidence!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

If prerelease data is to be believed dentists will not be allowed to return to work until June 1.  That said believe extraction is allowed under current rules so if infection is under control would visit a hospital dental clinic (in pain) and request same.

I went to the hospital dentist this morning to get a tooth stub pulled out (Surin province) It wasn't an emergency, just part of ongoing treatment, no problem. Temperature taken and asked if I had been outside the province (the town where I am has had no cases of covid-19). Where I am it is almost as if there is no lockdown, in my village it is no different to normal.

If you're still looking try Chiang Mai Dental Hospital. was there last Friday, very happy with the work done (replace a crown).

053411150 English good .

Thanks, that sounds excellent. I used to live only a few blocks from there 4 or 5 years ago but it wasn't a dental hospital at the time. I'll definitely check it out tomorrow.

It appears that in Bangkok medical clinics will be allowed to reopen on May 1 so that may include dental treatment if need procedure to save tooth (rather than Dr. Yankem) as expect other provinces may also.

Grace Dental locked up.  Walked by this afternoon.  Only the security guard was at his desk.  Does not look like they will be opening soon.  I have a major dental procedure scheduled with another CNX dentist in early June and I hope they open up by then?

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/28/2020 at 11:03 AM, cmsally said:

There is a dentist just on the south side of Sompet market which I have been past a few times (in the last weeks) and it looks very much open.

I just looked it up on google

streetview

Called Anutin dental clinic.

This is the only telephone number I could find.

https://www.yellowpages.co.th/en/profile/Anutin-Dental-Clinic-93V9JPoog

I had a horrible experience there. Never again.

Dental4U is open but they have posted some conditions:

1.  Temp Check as usual

2.  No Tooth Extractions unless it is an emergency

3.  Cannot have been in Mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau or Singapore within the last 14 days.

Thank you,

I am still pain-free after taking the strong antibiotic, clindamycin, back in April. I did not get my tooth extracted and am feeling very lucky that so far, it is acting normal with no swelling and zero pain. I would never have expected an antibiotic to cure a tooth infection as completely as this one did. My guess is that at some point it will again become infected and it will have to come out. Until then however I'll just sit tight and "keep my fingers crossed" that it might be fixed for good.

8 hours ago, AlaskaDave said:

Until then however I'll just sit tight and "keep my fingers crossed" that it might be fixed for good.

If it were me, I would get it checked out and x-rayed when convenient. If you have an abscess formed under that tooth, you need to deal with it proactively rather than wait for acute infection to flare up again.

Our approach to dentistry really hasn't changed all that much in the last 100 years. I think the whole tooth infection stuff is seriously over-exaggerated to pad dentists' pockets. 3 of my wisdom teeth are impacted and half covered by gums and were prone to getting infections for the last 2 decades. Usually about twice a year or so, lasting for a week or two. I must have had close to 50 infections by now. Too stubborn to remove them.

Instead I completely removed fizzy drinks, desserts, wheat and fruit from my diet and now I haven't had an infection in years. Stick to meat, veggies, low carb diet, magnesium supplements and clear spirits for drinking. Sometimes oral probiotics if I feel like it. Teeth still impacted, stuff still gets stuck there sometimes. Never gives me any trouble. Regular xrays show perfect condition. My 6 month appointments take 5 minutes because there's never any stones or <deleted> to scrape off. Dentist still freaks out each time - "Oh my God you still have your wisdom teeth! You need to remove them ASAP!". Yeah yeah. 

Read "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration" by Dr Weston Price. Before the introduction of "civilized" diets indigenous populations walked around with food residue stuck to their teeth for days. Flossing and brushing was unheard of. Their teeth/gums were in pristine condition.

@Genmai,
To some extent, I agree with you. However, my first experience with pain in this tooth was an actual, painfully swollen area near its root which was very visible on x-rays. The tooth had already had a root canal many years ago so my dentist opened the gum and filled the root from the rear, a so-called "retrograde filling". Now, I don't know if that first infection would have subsided permanently after treatment with the antibiotic because we took action ASAP. I have had a heart valve replacement and that makes me abnormally prone to cardiac disease resulting from oral infections which is why I need to be concerned.  Should this tooth develop another infection I will certainly have it extracted just to be safe. The only question I have is whether I'm taking a chance by waiting until it erupts again. Then again, maybe it never will.