Foreigners not wearing helmets

11 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

And those with lung cancer or rotten livers ?? Stated funded health care ??

Hasn't there been some discussion about that (in the UK anyway) in recent years?

Whether it's right for the health service to treat smokers who continue to smoke after hospital treatment for lung cancer, and alcoholics for similar reasons too.

I'm not aware of a policy change, but it is being discussed more.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, jimmjam said:

I wear a helmet for long journeys, if im just going to the local shop down the road i dont bother.

And the logic behind this is? Rhetorical question btw (it it helps).

Edited by MJKT2014

1 hour ago, cornishcarlos said:

I guess it comes down to personal choice and willingness to take the consequences, financial or physical... 

Some, as above, enjoy a helmet free slow cruise to the shops. Others gear up whatever the journey... 

The problem for society however are the costs incurred through sever injury, never mind destroying the lives of loved ones (and the wife)

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

19,000 baht for a helmet - how many heads have you got!

Perhaps the question should be, 'how big is your head'?

(sorry for the flippant answer bodga, regarding a serious subject that i agree with you about. I just couldn't help myself!)

Edited by bluesofa
grammar

2 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

I always wear a helmet. 100% of the time for more than six years now. 

same with anyone who is riding with me. 

scooter and motorcycle.

Well done that man.

Your hair must be pretty long now if you haven't been able to cut it for six years.

(sorry!)

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Hasn't there been some discussion about that (in the UK anyway) in recent years?

Whether it's right for the health service to treat smokers who continue to smoke after hospital treatment for lung cancer, and alcoholics for similar reasons too.

I'm not aware of a policy change, but it is being discussed more.

I'd be wanting to stop health care for fat people.

And charge them per pound for flights.

Why do fat people get let off the hook for everything?

• Haha 2

Just now, Kullstar said:

Simply drop an egg from 6 inches onto concrete and then replicate (No helmet) with your skull at 25mph onto a kerb.

Hey presto, same result. 

How many eggs have you dropped onto concrete in your life?

Same for hitting the kerb at 25Km/hr ..... something I've managed to avoid so far.

2 hours ago, jimmjam said:

I wear a helmet for long journeys, if im just going to the local shop down the road i dont bother.

Reminds me of the Thai wife in our building doing just that. But then once she didn't get 100 meters before hitting a dog and crashing. She was lucky she didn't hit her head on the pavement, only bruised and scraped badly. Lesson learned.

Couple months ago I was going up the same little soi and suddenly a Thai tried to turn in front me to enter a building entrance. We barely avoided an accident.

It may seem safe enough until it isn't. So I always bother. Easy way to minimize one of many risks of ending up in the hands of Thai docs & hospitals. Been pretty successful so far, and I much prefer to keep it that way.

I also support the law requiring the wearing of them, esp. in Thailand where we have so many idiot tourists with poor driving skills and no accident insurance to pay the bill.

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Not wearing a helmet should be a personal choice, not a law.

Very old worn out line to use.

My response would be;You chose not to wear a helmet?society chooses not to pick-up your medical bill.;

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

How many eggs have you dropped onto concrete in your life?

Same for hitting the kerb at 25Km/hr ..... something I've managed to avoid so far.

Unfortunately I haven't avoided that. The eggs yes, but not the motorbike:

Being hit from behind by another motorbike pushed me into the next lane and I was run over by a pick-up. Hence my attitude regarding wearing a helmet.

Even so I was reported to the police as dead, not injured, even though I was wearing a helmet. Neither of the other two vehicles stopped.

I regret not keeping the helmet as a reminder. One side of it had scratches from the concrete road, the other side had rubber marks from the tyre of the pick-up.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I think it is a stupid law any place in the world.

A person can smoke themselves to death.

Drink themselves to death.

Etc.

All legal ways to potentially harm/kill ones self by these personal choices.

As long as you don't then expect the state or your relatives to support you as a paraplegic resulting from that personal choice, fine.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It's sad to see so many uninformed or ignorant people. Please consider that rarely have actions by yourself no effect on others. Especially the smoking example given by some. But even not wearing a helmet can risk the health of others. I've seen too many times people whose vision is impaired due to wind or something flying into peoples eyes. I admit that when I started riding scooters I also wasn't keen on a helmet. After I got my first bigger bike I went for a full face helmet and realized what a huge difference it makes in terms of safety but also comfort. It's more comfortable for me to ride without having my face blasted with sand, small rocks or insects. I can hear also suddenly vehicles around me without the wind blasting my ears. I simply have much better situational awareness. One reason why Thailand has so absolutely horrendous road fatality numbers is because of a lack of exactly this situational awareness (the other big reason being disregard for traffic rules). Oh and I don't get itchy eyes anymore due to all the black smoke from cars and trucks. Big win in comfort.

Once a bee stung me in my eye while riding. That was a really dangerous moment and a visor would have prevented it from happening. I could have very easily crashed and hurt others, especially my pillion. Since I ride with a helmet that has a visor, I am reminded of this every time a bug leaves a nice splash mark on it.

And even if you don't care about your own safety, accept the risk and maybe also disregard the financial burden you might put on others because of insurance payouts... do you have noone around you that would be sad and in hardship if something serious happened to you? Maybe your kids or a spouse? Your parents? Please keep in mind it's not just about yourself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

no disrespect my friend but honestly this has been going on for ages, obviously thais not wearing helmets has a big influence on what foreigners do and especially when tourists turn up and dont have a license and wear now helmet. i think alot more important this going on in the world presently...

think of the upside with this corona virus the road deaths from motorcycles accidents must eb at an all time low in thailand.... the beaches are clean because the scumbag touts and vendors are not there dumping umbrellas and beach chairs and everything else on them. probably the first and last time we will see the beaches looking so lovely if they could just keep them this way in future... but once its over all the scum will be back. 

enjoy life stay safe and as long as you wear your helmet stuff the others you re doing the right thing.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, jvs said:

Very old worn out line to use.

My response would be;You chose not to wear a helmet?society chooses not to pick-up your medical bill.;

as is your line.

we are well aware and happy to pay for our own medical bill as a result of the no helmet stance. i hope you neither drink or smoke because society should choose to not pick up the bills of those who get sick due to that life choice ? right ? 

6 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I think it is a stupid law any place in the world.

A person can smoke themselves to death.

Drink themselves to death.

Etc.

All legal ways to potentially harm/kill ones self by these personal choices.

Not when the injured person needs a very long recovery at hospital and doesn't have any kind of insurance.

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

The argument about "personal freedom" and choice is lame

so should that lame excuse not be shot down for the laundry list of other things that people chose to do that are irresponsible ? 

do you drink at all ? smoke ciggies ? eat garbage food ? 

heck even studies show that sitting on your fanny for the whole day has serious health effects.