Disease Control Dept warns of dengue fever outbreak

webfact

Disease Control Dept warns of dengue fever outbreak

By The Nation

800_28c862604622f58.jpg

File Photo

Dr Thanarak Phliphat, deputy director-general of the Department of Disease Control, said that with the return of dengue fever it may soon become tougher for doctors to diagnose and detect Covid-19 infections.

This is because both viruses show different symptoms based on the age group. For instance, among children, Covid-19 symptoms are mild and about 40 percent of patients have low fever.

Among adults, dengue fever results in high fever and muscle ache, much like the symptoms of Covid-19, though 50 percent of Covid-19 patients may have a cough.

Also, he said, usually respiratory conditions are diagnosed as respiratory disease rather than dengue fever.

As of April 14, there have been 8,746 dengue fever cases and six patients have succumbed to the disease.

The department believes this year may see as many as 70,000 dengue fever cases, he said, adding that people should take care of themselves and get rid of mosquito breeding grounds.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30386997

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-29

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Dr Thanarak Phliphat, deputy director-general of the Department of Disease Control, said that with the return of dengue fever it may soon become tougher for doctors to diagnose and detect Covid-19 infections.

please elaborate 

how are you detecting them now - with a thermometer 

• Like 1

Dengue is contracted by mosquitoes biting and infecting the blood...

I wonder if a mosquito takes blood from a Corvid patient, then bites/injects another non-infected patient, could Corvid be transferred?

Just a thought?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Dengue is contracted by mosquitoes biting and infecting the blood...

I wonder if a mosquito takes blood from a Corvid patient, then bites/injects another non-infected patient, could Corvid be transferred?

Just a thought?

No expert, but this does not happen with HIV, the virus breaks down in the mozzys gut.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Big deal ! Just drink loads of fluids and rest, you will be just fine ???? Dehydration caused by Dengue is the biggest danger.

Not true at all. i had Dengue 4 years ago and the biggest danger is the reduction of platelets in the blood. I spent two nights in the hospital as they were waiting for my platelet count to come up. A friends wife was hours away from needing a blood transfusion because her count got so low

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Sounds more serious than Covid !!!! How can that possibly be ?? Covid is the virus of all viruses...

I dunno Dengue has been around for a Lot of years now & Still going strong, we don't know yet what Covid has in store next season ,Maybe Gone Or Maybe Worse. Satan Help us if not we're goners. ????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, digger70 said:

I dunno Dengue has been around for a Lot of years now & Still going strong, we don't know yet what Covid has in store next season ,Maybe Gone Or Maybe Worse. Satan Help us if not we're goners. ????

There is no vaccine for Dengue either yet people live with it in normal everyday lives. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, skorp13 said:

There is no vaccine for Dengue either yet people live with it in normal everyday lives. 

There is a vaccine for dengue (Dengvaxia), and CEPI has a development project for at least one which will be polyvalent if it works. Polyvalent means that it will prevent the 4 strains of dengue.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, placnx said:

There is a vaccine for dengue (Dengvaxia), and CEPI has a development project for at least one which will be polyvalent if it works. Polyvalent means that it will prevent the 4 strains of dengue.

And currently Dengvaxia has shown such poor results that it is not normally offered.