CONFIRMED: Alcohol sales banned until further notice, some businesses allowed to reopen

webfact

4 minutes ago, Phil McCaverty said:

First one, Thais on returning from work, tend to congregate in the street with their neighbours having a few beers. Was a daily ritual in the first Thai house I lived in. Social distancing not an option really. Also, teenage bikers screaming up and down the road at night are usually 7/11 hopping. Main objective was to find someone with money for beer. Probably a big factor in curfew too.

Second point, hardly, if you think that you are peed off with the alcohol ban you should speak to a few Thais.

All that stuff has nothing to do with me or my family, because that is not what we, or my friends do, so being bunched in with that lot just tells me that the gov thinks we are all kids, drunks, low-life. The rest of the world aren't treated like kids, only LOS.

My Thai friends are p_ssed off, my Thai friends who sell beer are even more p_ssed off...

• Like 2

Just now, peter48 said:

Possible ...different countries do different things. Thailand is correct on Masks and checking people for temperature etc., UK has been weak on people wearing masks in shops or metro. Maybe Thailand is more outdoors and people can mingle in farmsteads etc but guess that must apply in China or Korea or Taiwan ??

No Korea and China are cold countries in winter.

The spread seems to be caused by people crowding into confined spaces.

Thailand is more open air living.

As a matter of interest I wonder how many other countries around the globe have decided to ban alcohol sales completely thus preventing their citizens enjoying a glass or two of their preferred drink at home whilst relaxing.

i don’t include those that don’t allow the sales of alcohol due to religious constraints.

Maybe most other countries trust their citizens to behave responsibly.

Edited by thonglorjimmy

10 minutes ago, peter48 said:

Possible ...different countries do different things. Thailand is correct on Masks and checking people for temperature etc., UK has been weak on people wearing masks in shops or metro. Maybe Thailand is more outdoors and people can mingle in farmsteads etc but guess that must apply in China or Korea or Taiwan ??

yeah, it is an interesting take on things and of course very drastic to many people. But,  maybe more drastic short term measures will in fact result in a much faster economic recovery? 

Edited by Kaopad999
  • Sad 2

Is Thailand the only country that is banning alcohol ... or the only country continuing to ban it?

What message is the Thai government sending to the world about how it feels about its people? Punishing everyone for the attitudes/habits of a few is lazy policy. Why not make it illegal to drink alcohol in the curfew hours. Why not beef up policing of what is going on in the neighbourhoods and arrest the drunken rowdies and party goers (yeah I know the police are the biggest drinkers/buddy party animals!).

I'm a modest drinker and I still have stock left sufficient for another month, but I can't understand how the government thinks this will keep the people loyal to sensible precautions more generally. There's going to be an undercurrent of f***-em abroad!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TheDark said:

I believe it's a fact, that there is no alcohol sales until further notice. We can't change that by talking here.

But what each of us can do, is to direct our eagerness to drink beer to something else. We have to do that, no matter what. 

It would be nice to hear what kind of hobbies people have started or continued because of the current and continuing situation. Solutions.

I have considered to start wife beating and domestic violence as a hobby....

Booze kept me sedated until now....

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, papersource said:

I agree with other posters that this ban should be made permanent. Less car crashes, fighting, endless noise from kariokee bars etc, and general increase in the happiness of the Thai people which is quite palpable at present. 

Almost to a person that have I spoke to, Thais were dreading the renewed selling of alcohol and were cheering when they heard the ban may become permanent. 

And making the ban permanent will be fantastic for the Thai economy. “High quality” tourists want nothing to do with alcohol and especially do not want to be anywheres near those typical beer louts you see all over Pattaya and the upper provinces of Thailand. 

The alcohol ban is a the best thing ever to happen in Thailand. Let’s make it permanent! Cheers!

Ha ha. Nice one.

I know many rich Chinese and they tell me that most people of their class have been avoiding Thailand like the plague (no holidays here and no investment) because there is too much partying with alcohol in public and it offends them????

17 minutes ago, Phil McCaverty said:

Unfortunately its not all about you. Enough Thais not complying with the restrictions to make the government use draconian measures. Rules are rules, no exceptions.

After reading this I think of one word...'school boy'

Edited by Solinvictus

18 minutes ago, SantiSuk said:

Is Thailand the only country that is banning alcohol ... or the only country continuing to ban it?

No, South Africa has implemented an alcohol ban, and apparently with very positive results

Edited by Kaopad999
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SantiSuk said:

Ha ha. Nice one.

I know many rich Chinese and they tell me that most people of their class have been avoiding Thailand like the plague (no holidays here and no investment) because there is too much partying with alcohol in public and it offends them????

Frankly, I'd rather care less to know 'rich Chinese.' Let alone put up with them, on a daily basis. Real petty folks they seem to be..Just my opinion.

Edited by Solinvictus

20 minutes ago, SantiSuk said:

What message is the Thai government sending to the world about how it feels about its people? Punishing everyone for the attitudes/habits of a few is lazy policy. Why not make it illegal to drink alcohol in the curfew hours. Why not beef up policing of what is going on in the neighbourhoods and arrest the drunken rowdies and party goers (yeah I know the police are the biggest drinkers/buddy party animals!).

I'm a modest drinker and I still have stock left sufficient for another month, but I can't understand how the government thinks this will keep the people loyal to sensible precautions more generally. There's going to be an undercurrent of f***-em abroad!

Quite frankly, I don't think the world cares.

• Like 1