CONFIRMED: Alcohol sales banned until further notice, some businesses allowed to reopen

webfact

People just don't seem to accept the fact that It's all about government control. No one gives a rats <deleted> about distancing etc. I'm sure they never could have imagined how easy it would be to incarcerate the entire country. Booze is as easy to get as a pizza but that's not the point it's government control and oversight hic..

10 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

Exactly, i believe that right now, heath is the number one concern

Yes agreed but most people over 25 to seniors say are quite responsible about one or two drinks in the evening around dinner. I do not like puritanical people saying alcohol is bad, evil, wrong. Life is mainly about moderation in most things ...watch your diet, ensure exercise, good partner and friends. But not jogging up mountains, jumping out of planes or never having meat or drinking excessively every day. etc.,  

Edited by peter48
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

Im tanked right now. I Hit up the local shops and bought everything they had. Not first choice but but given the circumstances, happy!! This is why i remain in Thailand. 

You do realize now you have the last of it and once out, you will then have to leave Thailand to get more? Still happy?

3 hours ago, TheDark said:

We'll be healthier than before, once alcohol ban is lifted. 

Not a bad time to stop drinking altogether and spend the time and money to something else?

Some say that it takes 3 weeks to change habits, good or bad. Now we have ample of time to do just that.

You suit yourself but I want my freedoms back mr fearful slave.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

Yeah I don't understand that at all. What does it have to do with coronavirus ?

I can get by without alcahol,but i agree,its a  bit harsh,keeping sales closed.

Maybe they think people will sit in groups drinking..

Just now, transam said:

Can you point me in the right directito the reason/decision to not sell beer or wine...

I mean, the science and facts.

Can you also provide proof that the populace are "clapping their hands" at not being able to have/buy a beer...? 

I await your reply.....????

First one, Thais on returning from work, tend to congregate in the street with their neighbours having a few beers. Was a daily ritual in the first Thai house I lived in. Social distancing not an option really. Also, teenage bikers screaming up and down the road at night are usually 7/11 hopping. Main objective was to find someone with money for beer. Probably a big factor in curfew too.

Second point, hardly, if you think that you are peed off with the alcohol ban you should speak to a few Thais.

17 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Alcohol isn't necessary whereas buying fresh food at market is necessary.

I haven't drunk any alcohol for more than a decade. Try healthier drinks like fruit juice and green tea instead.

USA and 99.9% of all countries think different as is an essential necessary. Thailand's military government is barking up the wrong tree. Why would they care anyway as they have what ever they want, when they want and are all quite wealthy. They are no knight or knights in shining armor. Just the contrary.

BTW. I eat fruit and drink fruit juice everyday. Maybe "I will start drinking fermented fruit at night if this idiocy of suppression continues.

2 minutes ago, spermwhale said:

It's amusing to me all the people on this thread who are apologists for the government's actions. Only one other country in the world has imposed this kind of rule on its people. I think Prayut is finals able to feel like he can be the strongman. It's amazing to me that they can just make rules like this and skip the legislative process in the name of a national emergency. 

More amazing to me is that the THAI people are mum. They have no balls. If anybody ever wanted to make this place into Burma nobody in Thailand would say a word. They never complain. WEAK. 

Oh you get used to thais, Sheep easily lead, I admire the few who will speak out in public 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

in times of social and economic stress, we need to be on the top of our games to handle what is happening at home. We should really ask ourselves, what risks we are taking in leaving people under lockdown in their homes with a substance that is harmful both in terms of their health and the effects of their behaviour on others, including violence?  

So what are you suggesting, ban sugar?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheDark said:

We'll be healthier than before, once alcohol ban is lifted. 

Not a bad time to stop drinking altogether and spend the time and money to something else?

Some say that it takes 3 weeks to change habits, good or bad. Now we have ample of time to do just that.

I stopped smoking since 3 weeks, as I can get my Burmese cigars only at our weekend market.
Some CHANG are still alive in the fridge. ????

11 minutes ago, peter48 said:

Life is mainly about moderation in most things ...watch your diet, ensure exercise, good partner and friends.

Oh thank you for such knowledge. I never would have guessed that. I love the "good partner" bit. 

So these peals of wisdom are related to Thai government ban on alcohol in what way. Or just of wise head passing on advice to random phis heads that as adults make their own choices.

Edited by DrJack54

2 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

I do agree with what you are saying, and i am sure that lots of people can easily control their alcohol intake, but sadly this is not a normal time for a lot of people, so they are just trying to prevent people from hitting the bottle during a crisis, which can lead to excessive alcohol drinking.  I understand that some people see this as having their rights taken away, I get that, but my personal view on this is that they are just trying to help prevent the long term damage it might  cause.

Possible ...different countries do different things. Thailand is correct on Masks and checking people for temperature etc., UK has been weak on people wearing masks in shops or metro. Maybe Thailand is more outdoors and people can mingle in farmsteads etc but guess that must apply in China or Korea or Taiwan ??

6 minutes ago, papersource said:

I agree with other posters that this ban should be made permanent.

Yes, let's make it a real Buddhist country.

So, no nightlife, up at sunrise, spend your days at temple praying, naturally no sex. 

Fine by me, I think the flights out will resume in June.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/buddhism/subdivisions/theravada_1.shtml

Within these rules or precepts are five which are undertaken by all those trying to adhere to a Buddhist way of life. The Five Precepts are to undertake the rule of training to:

Refrain from harming living beings
Refrain from taking that which is not freely given
Refrain from sexual misconduct
Refrain from wrong speech; such as lying, idle chatter, malicious gossip or harsh speech
Refrain from intoxicating drink and drugs which lead to carelessness

EDIT: Forgot, gotta be a vegan. Enjoy your stay.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1