CONFIRMED: Alcohol sales banned until further notice, some businesses allowed to reopen

webfact

Fortunately, I can take or leave alcohol...but now I would like to take some. I went to a small store that was going out of business and bought 8 bottles of beer there two days ago. I don't drink beer but since I am forbidden to buy it, I bought it. It is in the frig. Maybe some friend will drink it for me one of these days. I have another friend who bought some wine and vodka out of the "back of a Thai store" the other day. The criteria seemed  to be, you have to be a farang and no one is around to see.  Last night when I went for my evening walk around my condo compound, a few guys from the live-in maintenance / security crew were sitting around quietly enjoying some Thai whiskey  and soda. I am positive that none of these nefarious acts of rebellion contributed to the spread any disease since social distancing was maintained. Kind of like drugs...it is there if you want it and look hard enough. I have had my act of civi disobedience by buying a few beers so now I will have a story to tell at the bars if and when they reopen....if I ever decide to have a drink again that is.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Yes, let's make it a real Buddhist country.

So, no nightlife, up at sunrise, spend your days at temple praying, naturally no sex. 

Fine by me, I think the flights out will resume in June.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/buddhism/subdivisions/theravada_1.shtml

EDIT: Forgot, gotta be a vegan. Enjoy your stay.

There are dozens of flights out right now. No need to wait for June 

4 hours ago, TheDark said:

We'll be healthier than before, once alcohol ban is lifted. 

Not a bad time to stop drinking altogether and spend the time and money to something else?

Some say that it takes 3 weeks to change habits, good or bad. Now we have ample of time to do just that.

Were you a government regulator in a past life or do you just wish to be one now? 

I know your recommendations are only for our own good.

I hear that a lot the last few years as the nanny state grows ever larger. I have been so naive thinking I could manage my own life. 

It says stand one meter away. And it says salons can open. If Im reading this correctly. Im all for taking precautions. But isn't it going to be difficult for someone to cut someones hair standing one meter away? 

7 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

People who didn't stock on booze before the ban took effect get no pity from me. 

I stocked up for about 20 days worth which was thousands ++ of baht being cases of beer to a couple bottles of scotch and several bottles of wine. So the case is they lied or just decided to spit on all of us right now. Thai and foreigners alike.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, swm59nj said:

It says stand one meter away. And it says salons can open. If Im reading this correctly. Im all for taking precautions. But isn't it going to be difficult for someone to cut someones hair standing one meter away? 

Giant scissors (With images) | Scissors, Giant scissors, Cool stuff

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Nearest i get to alcohol is washing my hands,. had enough of this stupid alcohol ban,. Only Thailand has banned consumption of alcohol and as soon as I can get a flight back to the u.k I’m gone ! Already climbing the walls and thought would be able to purchase on the 1st and 2nd of may before ban put back into place..... 

4 hours ago, n00dle said:

but doesn't this run contrary to the claims that the government is all about money? 

the lost tax revenue alone must be a very significant hit for them.

the only truly regrettable thing is that the reopening of restraunts will be a mixed blessing for many businesses, simply because alchol is such a big mark up item, and few restaurants beyond the mom and pop business truly make their money on food sales.

There is one thing you can bet on, the bigwigs income stream won't be affected.

I’m basically tea total,totally so in Thailand,but  abroad just now. But just to rub it in I’m gonna open this excellent bottle of wine tonight (it’s been hanging around for a year). It,along with the irony will be delicious and at the expense of all you lot tearing your hair out simply because you can’t get alcohol- the very definition of dependency-. Have a word with yourselves! 

4EF4EE44-C3EF-44D1-90B5-DEADDC39B62D.png

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

As I have said on related threads, I am TT and I don't smoke. Certainly the smoking is an addiction so let's leave that out at this point.

Drinking alcohol can be an addiction but generally it usually is that case that such drinkers have prior problems anyway. It has been socially accepted for a very long time and providing the individual maintains control then I would classify it among other social inducements. It isn't essential to life but then neither is my regular mug of (black/Indian) tea...which I know contains Caffeine. Like alcohol Caffeine can be addictive and is present in a wide variety of beverages these days. Volume for volume I drink much more water than tea and some days drink no tea at all.

What's my point?

Okay, banning alcohol for festivities is one thing but complete bans, with the odd day of ban lifted, sounds more like a control tactic to me. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

55555555 - glad I moved across the border into Cambodia 3 months ago! No bans on your favorite tipples over here.

Same in Laos ....virus free for 15 days and most of infected treated, and back home.

But hey Slyland knows best.

• Like 1

Is Thailand becoming a Muslim state or is it run by a load of people who don't like people enjoying themselves and like to control everything. I really can't see this making any difference. Sell beer and people drink at home. Simple way to kerp them home. They will be wandering the streets otherwise. What sort of logic is that??

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Seriously, I am no drinker, but IMO, this is nothing but a power trip for the Thai authorities.

It is a hi-so elite expressing their lofty disdain for the pleasures of the common man.

Perhaps if they were to spend the entire night scraping away at rubber trees, they also might feel like a gargle in the morning.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, papersource said:

I agree with other posters that this ban should be made permanent. Less car crashes, fighting, endless noise from kariokee bars etc, and general increase in the happiness of the Thai people which is quite palpable at present. 

Almost to a person that have I spoke to, Thais were dreading the renewed selling of alcohol and were cheering when they heard the ban may become permanent. 

And making the ban permanent will be fantastic for the Thai economy. “High quality” tourists want nothing to do with alcohol and especially do not want to be anywheres near those typical beer louts you see all over Pattaya and the upper provinces of Thailand. 

The alcohol ban is a the best thing ever to happen in Thailand. Let’s make it permanent! Cheers!

What are you a Johavah's witnesses or missionary or something? Get real. That is the biggest load of twisted nonsense that I have heard in a long long time now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChaiyaTH said:

The average local male can still gets it booze underground though, I just found out 3 houses in my village are selling as of today.
Me thinks the locals start to had enough and start doing what they want themselves, ignore central government more and more.

Out of curiosity, what are they selling? Homemade or from a brewery? 

11 minutes ago, Steve Vincent said:

Nearest i get to alcohol is washing my hands,. had enough of this stupid alcohol ban,. Only Thailand has banned consumption of alcohol and as soon as I can get a flight back to the u.k I’m gone ! Already climbing the walls and thought would be able to purchase on the 1st and 2nd of may before ban put back into place..... 

You had no chance to catch a flight in the last 6 weeks?

3 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

What are you a Johavah's witnesses or missionary or something? Get real. That is the biggest load of twisted nonsense that I have heard in a long long time now.

I have to disagree.

And also ban sex.

Horrible messy nonsense.

*Laugh emoji*

7 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

I’m basically tea total,totally so in Thailand,but  abroad just now. But just to rub it in I’m gonna open this excellent bottle of wine tonight (it’s been hanging around for a year). It,along with the irony will be delicious and at the expense of all you lot tearing your hair out simply because you can’t get alcohol- the very definition of dependency-. Have a word with yourselves! 

4EF4EE44-C3EF-44D1-90B5-DEADDC39B62D.png

Have a word to yourself. Stop lecture rubbish. Did it make you feel good? Showing delight is other folk situation is very sad. When I say sad....I'm meaning your a sad negative person. 

The thread really is not about alcohol.

It's about a crazy government making rules for rules sake.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1