Current retirement visa with multiple reentry permit will expire May 10th and I'm held up in Japan.

I have had a retirement visa and multiple reentry permit for over 4 years. My visa is due to renew on May 10th but I am stranded in Japan until they lift the ban on foreigners entering Thailand. Does the extension until July 31st for all nonimmigrant visas apply to people like myself or will I be required to start over? I have had different answers over the past 2 weeks. And Thailand is my home. I haven't been to my home country in over 5 years. So I am desperate to return soon as possible.

I PM-ed you a comprehensive guideline document outlining all details/options to apply for a Non Imm O - retirement Visa (and subsequent extension).

>> To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your Profile when logged-in to the Forum

• Like 2

If you can't get to Immigration here in Thailand by your expiration date, I think you'll have to start over as mentioned above.  Just for the heck of it, I'd contact the Thai embassy there just to see if there is some slim possibility they can help you there (doubtful but worth a shot). 

Also, due to the very cloudy proclamations (police orders) here about the "July 31st" routine (which is definitely applicable to people with exemptions and tourist visas), there is a slim possibility that Immigration will relent here and grant new extensions to those whose extensions have expired prior to July 31st because they couldn't get to their Immigration office.  Probably doubtful (nobody knows for sure) but worth a shot to ask when you get back so you don't have to start over.  Good luck.

1 minute ago, CMBob said:

If you can't get to Immigration here in Thailand by your expiration date, I think you'll have to start over as mentioned above.  Just for the heck of it, I'd contact the Thai embassy there just to see if there is some slim possibility they can help you there (doubtful but worth a shot). 

Also, due to the very cloudy proclamations (police orders) here about the "July 31st" routine (which is definitely applicable to people with exemptions and tourist visas), there is a slim possibility that Immigration will relent here and grant new extensions to those whose extensions have expired prior to July 31st because they couldn't get to their Immigration office.  Probably doubtful (nobody knows for sure) but worth a shot to ask when you get back so you don't have to start over.  Good luck.

Not possible.

• Like 1

I am stuck in Australia,  Non O expires May 10th. I am resigned to the fact I have to start again whenever I can return to Thailand. I am not sure Austrlians will be allowed to leave Australia before Jan 2021 except maybe to travel to New Zealand.  Finger cross it a lot earlier than that.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, barryw52 said:

I am stuck in Australia,  Non O expires May 10th. I am resigned to the fact I have to start again whenever I can return to Thailand. I am not sure Austrlians will be allowed to leave Australia before Jan 2021 except maybe to travel to New Zealand.  Finger cross it a lot earlier than that.

Yes, unfortunately it looks like you will have to start from scratch again for a Non Imm O Visa.

>> I PM-ed you a comprehensive guideline document outlining all details/options to apply for a Non Imm O - retirement Visa (either in your home-country, Thailand or a neighboring country).

To access your PM-message just click the letter-icon next to your Profile when logged in to the Forum.

Note: The document only addresses the options for those +50 years of age.  If you are married to a thai National you have way more options.

35 minutes ago, barryw52 said:

I am not sure Austrlians will be allowed to leave Australia before Jan 2021 except maybe to travel to New Zealand. 

You can wake up now.

That was some bad dream. 

Not possible

• Haha 1

May be I'm wrong, but what about "Article 1 Aliens permitted for a stay in the Kingdom under Section 45 of the lmmrgratron
Act 3 E. 2522 and have made an evidence or leaving the Kingdom for a re-entry within one
year under Sectron 50 or the same Act are permrtted for an extension of re-entry to the Kingdom
more than one year. When the epidemic situation is eased, the aliens should travel to the
Kingdom without delay as requirred by the Immigration Bureau."?
Isn't that exactly your (and my) situation?

94122269_130427611936351_6165995439733604352_o.thumb.jpg.4137664a96021bed87d7eb35942f2344.pdf

36 minutes ago, sloeffert said:

May be I'm wrong, but what about "Article 1 Aliens permitted for a stay in the Kingdom under Section 45 of the lmmrgratron
Act 3 E. 2522 and have made an evidence or leaving the Kingdom for a re-entry within one
year under Sectron 50 or the same Act are permrtted for an extension of re-entry to the Kingdom
more than one year. When the epidemic situation is eased, the aliens should travel to the
Kingdom without delay as requirred by the Immigration Bureau."?
Isn't that exactly your (and my) situation?

That is only for those that have acquired permanent residency.

Does anyone has the original document on the automatic visa extension up to 31 July? 

I am in the same situation. On a marriage visa for decades, my home is in Thailand but went on an overseas trip and confined there and can't go back before my visa expires.

Are we the ones forgotten by Thai authorities? Just because we can't get a Thai passport doesn't mean our home is not there....

How comes tourists are allowed to stay though they could go on repatriation flights but we can't go back home?

1 hour ago, MigelIndurain said:

Does anyone has the original document on the automatic visa extension up to 31 July? 

I am in the same situation. On a marriage visa for decades, my home is in Thailand but went on an overseas trip and confined there and can't go back before my visa expires.

Are we the ones forgotten by Thai authorities? Just because we can't get a Thai passport doesn't mean our home is not there....

How comes tourists are allowed to stay though they could go on repatriation flights but we can't go back home?

Apply for new non o. 

Don't really understand what your thinking your entitled to. Your living in Thailand on annual extensions. Unfortunately once in lifetime disaster. World wild.

Applying for new non o based on marriage is unfortunate but not end of world.

Decades living here has nothing to do with it. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CMBob said:

Just for the heck of it, I'd contact the Thai embassy there just to see if there is some slim possibility they can help you there (doubtful but worth a shot). 

It is worth asking if you can get a new Non O visa in Japan (if you have the required documents with you). The usual situation is that only Japanese or aliens with a Japanese alien registration card could get a visa in Japan. Short term visitors can not get that card

It is possible that the embassy has been permitted to issue visas to other people due to the current situation. I no longer live there so I haven’t checked.

The embassy has been known to answer the phone.

You almost certainly will not be permitted to enter without an appointment.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

On 5/2/2020 at 8:16 AM, cardinalblue said:

A Multiple re-entry permit is worthless if you don’t have a valid visa Extension and only good until that visa expires..

re entry permits last  for one year....and as you say last until visa has expired then one has to re apply for both....

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, essox essox said:

re entry permits last  for one year....and as you say last until visa has expired then one has to re apply for both....

When you did not buy a Re-Entry Permit and your Visa validity has expired, leaving the country will 'kill' the remaining days/weeks/months on your permission to stay. 

A Re-Entry Permit will simply keep your permission to stay alive when exiting the country.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

When you did not buy a Re-Entry Permit and your Visa validity has expired, leaving the country will 'kill' the remaining days/weeks/months on your permission to stay. 

A Re-Entry Permit will simply keep your permission to stay alive when exiting the country.

My visa expires in October, but when i left i bought a re-entry permit, however the IO noticed that my passport expires in July and so even though i said that i was going to re-new my passport, she  issued my re-entry permit only to the time that my present passport expires ?  I had expected her to issue me  the re-entry until the time my visa expires.

Edited by Huckenfell

On 5/2/2020 at 10:51 AM, barryw52 said:

The Thai Consulate in Aus can probably issue you with one if you can supply all relevant information.

40 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

My visa expires in October, but when i left i bought a re-entry permit, however the IO noticed that my passport expires in July and so even though i said that i was going to re-new my passport, she  issued my re-entry permit only to the time that my present passport expires ?  I had expected her to issue me  the re-entry until the time my visa expires.

how did you get a visa valid beyond the expiration of your passport?

10 hours ago, Silent Number said:

The Thai Consulate in Aus can probably issue you with one if you can supply all relevant information.

Getting a non-o visa based upon being 50 or over for retirment is impossible in Australia.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Silent Number said:

And isn’t it a requirement to have at least 6 months passport validity to be able to pass through Immigration on arrival.

No

For those from many countries only a passport valid for a person's length of stay is needed.

10 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

how did you get a visa valid beyond the expiration of your passport?

I think he is referring to a permit to stay from a OA visa that would be for one year.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I think he is referring to a permit to stay from a OA visa that would be for one year.

assume OP returns with a visa waiver, and wants to convert to non-O at immigration.  should be an easy process, as he knows the procedure, but what about financials?

1)  if he uses the monthly deposit method, and is for some reason unable to get each monthly deposit sent over while out of the country?

2)  if using the 800k in the bank method, and he needs to reapply, will he be required to provide a new bank statement showing foreign sourced funds?  would that be possible if the 800k is no longer in the same numbered account?