Thailand to allow alcohol sales after three-week ban: officials

rooster59

2960 CASES.....54 DEATHS OUT OF A POPULATION OF APPROX 65 MILLION..just shows how this has all been out of proportion to stop alcohol sales.....especially for people who like a drink at home.....where NO GATHERINGS occur !!!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Closed on Monday as it is a public holiday perhaps ?

Not really the Monday Holiday as it has nothing to do with a day of abstaining. It will be from the people getting together at their homes with their friends.

Even at this very moment:

• I have an ugly big headed Thai neighbor in an adjoining housing estate having a get together right now and will then move to his backyard out of sight, but that is every night.
  • Down the block there is a house full of old foreigners with their wife's partying out in the front yard like it is no problem. Total around 12 er so of them.
  • Next door to me my Thai neighbors just finished a get together dinner with friends.
  • Outside of this estate there is a gathering of Thai selling food and yacking away in gossip central with no masks.

So this is in a 3 minute radius of my house. Just think what other brain dead Thai and Foreigner are doing in CM and it is a complete disaster. It will be closed because of arrogant braindead stupidity, and when it is I really cannot fault the governor except he should have used the police to arrest all of them and left the abiding people like me to be free and drink on my own upstanding accord. The police in CM already busted a group yesterday in the news. I would think the police will be more than happy to arrest and take an idiots money for their pockets.

Three weeks? That's no good, that's longer than nine days. The only people who'll remember are going to be foreigners.

I'm not sure if I can imagine a world in which Thais will do without their alcohol for three weeks.

2 minutes ago, essox essox said:

yeah think your right ....another stupid thing that is here.....needs to be abolished for ever the stupid times for alcohol sales

100% agree.

We are grown ups after all....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, revup said:

1.5 million alcohol-related deaths per year in Thailand alone. Why not take the opportunity to take a day off the sauce? Your choice, but your advice is insane.

Apologies if you can prove your statement is true. However i would be surprised if the total number of deaths annually from all circumstances in Thailand is 1 million. Maybe your choice of sauce is proving to be a problem. Finally, regardless of any other factors it is absolutely his/her choice.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lamyai3 said:
4 hours ago, WhereIsMyRyeBread said:

I noted Heineken's non alcoholic beer also have been removed from our 7 Eleven despite it's advertised as containing 0% Alcohol.

Why not remove all soft-drinks by that rationale- keep it safe. 

Some 7-11s stock it, some don't. There's a sticker on the ring pull confirming it's alcohol free. 

1 hour ago, essox essox said:

so why was it NOT available for sale??

I take back my earlier comment, just got back home and it's been completely removed from sale in both 7-11 and Tops. Bizarre. 

10 minutes ago, scotsdude said:

will foodland be selling afer midnight... the last time i was there it sold alcohol 24 hrs...

Because of the curfew Foodland has not been open 24 hours.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, scotsdude said:

will foodland be selling afer midnight... the last time i was there it sold alcohol 24 hrs...

No one's selling anything after the 10pm curfew. And foodland hasn't sold beers after midnight for years. 

• Like 1

On 5/2/2020 at 6:20 AM, thedemon said:

Much more likely is a belated realisation that an open ended ban on alcohol without plausible explanation was a step too far for middle class voters.

Voting doesn't mean anything here.  The status quo will be preserved; votes will be miscounted; opposition parties dissolved; officials jailed.  If all else fails, just have another coup.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Glad to see that Thai people and the stranded travellers and expats will soon be able to buy and

drink alcohol again. I hope all the Thai voters see just how close to a dictatorship their

government has become. Look around at the rest of the countries in the world and see

how many others banned the evil alcohal drinks in their countries. Surprise!

Anyway Cheers

Geezer

5 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

They are allowing restaurants to open but not allowing them to sell alcohol.  Thanks for the help.  Most restaurants break even or lose money on food.  They only profit from selling drinks.  Kind of like letting a gas station to open but prohibiting them from selling gas and cigarettes. 

Here in Pattaya when the nightlife got closed the people were sitting then in restaurants and in front of convenience stores and at many other places to have their alcoholic drinks - of course without mask so that they can drink. Say thank you to these people... 

My wife has just reported that at our local Big C, the alcohol has been pulled off the shelves, so that nothing remains and there are queues awaiting for the magic hour of 11 am. Apparently, they have missed out on the Social Distancing aspect again!

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Clarkey611 said:

My wife has just reported that at our local Big C, the alcohol has been pulled off the shelves, so that nothing remains and there are queues awaiting for the magic hour of 11 am. Apparently, they have missed out on the Social Distancing aspect again!

where?

Alcohol for sale in the local Tesco Express naklua/pattaya.

After 11.00AM

Not much on the shelves though, particularly short on cases.

Guess they will get in some large deliveries soon enough.

• Like 1