Jump to content

Hiding Out for a Few Years


Recommended Posts

I have around $5k - 8k USD expendable cash and get around $915 USD a month because I'm pakalolo.

 

I'm wanting to return to Bangkok, Thailand but I wonder if other countries might be more economically feasible?  I have my eye on Vietnam or maybe even Cambodia.

 

Of course, if I have to I would do a job teaching English as well.  I've done it in Thailand but not any other countries.  I'm Asian so it's harder to land something like that.

 

I'm an IT dude so I guess I could do that too.

 

Any areas to recommend?  Maybe I just chill out in Cambo with all the expats?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2020 at 4:25 AM, BritManToo said:

I think Cambodia would be more fun on that amount.

If you were teaching English to the natives, Vietnam might be better.

Both countries very lax and easy going about cannabis now @ $10/half zip.

This is great information.  What would rent be like for a decent apartment?  In Thailand it was never more than $300 a month for me.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kingofallasians said:

This is great information.  What would rent be like for a decent apartment?  In Thailand it was never more than $300 a month for me.

Same, I was paying $12/night for a air-con room beside a swimming pool in Siem Reap.

They would have accepted less than $200/month ..... beer served by the pool 24/7 at 50c/glass.

I almost got trapped there when they closed the borders.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Same, I was paying $12/night for a air-con room beside a swimming pool in Siem Reap.

They would have accepted less than $200/month ..... beer served by the pool 24/7 at 50c/glass.

I almost got trapped there when they closed the borders.

where are you now?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 year later...
On 5/3/2020 at 7:44 PM, Inn Between said:

Perhaps instead of just asking for people to give you a bunch of information and ideas in general about the cost of living in various countries around the world, you may get better and more logical responses if you take the time and effort to say what you've learned so far or what's important to you.   

clearly you are a @@@@@ and do not deserve our advice.

try doing your own research mate

or is that too difficult?

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2020 at 7:44 PM, Inn Between said:

Perhaps instead of just asking for people to give you a bunch of information and ideas in general about the cost of living in various countries around the world, you may get better and more logical responses if you take the time and effort to say what you've learned so far or what's important to you.   

Do we really care?????

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2020 at 6:24 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

An "IT dude" who want to teach English instead of making money with IT.

No, you are not an IT dude - IT dudes love IT.

He wants to hang out with the (s) Expats. 55555

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2020 at 1:11 PM, kingofallasians said:

This is great information.  What would rent be like for a decent apartment?  In Thailand it was never more than $300 a month for me.

 

The salaries for teaching tends to be better in Cambodia and Vietnam with less qualifications or rigorous checks unless you are talking prestigious Bangkok private schools. I have friends in both Vietnam and Cambodia.

 

There is a veery eclectic mix of artisans, teachers, musicians in Siem Reap, many by choice, who have just fallen off the radar to the Western world.

 

However, during Covid times, you won't get a visa for Cambodia without a job offer, and they are having a lot of ever changing restrictions and closures, down there at the moment.

 

The expat scene down in Siem Reap was quite a decent size. On Facebook, you can join a few groups such as Expats and locals in Siem Reap, and Phnom Penn. You will get plenty advice there.

 

Vietnam again, many restrictions during Covid. Cambodia has many cheap places to rent and shared houses, easy visas and immigration although these days you must be registered.

 

I would get bored in Cambodia if there a long time and it has no beach places really, Vietnam would be my choice, for scenery and variety.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure what kind of visa you plan on getting anywhere, but first of all I would say forget Vietnam as they just tossed out most foreigners more viable than you. 

Based on your limited story, I would suggest a provincial city in Mexico which could easily meet your budget, they just sort of legalized ganja, and if you enter on a 180 day tourist visa you can overstay it and there are many reports that they don't care as long as your spending some money. I wouldn't do that, but I'm not you. An example would be Jalapa, Veracruz, lots of students and alternative types there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scouse123 said:

would get bored in Cambodia if there a long time and it has no beach places really


You might want to check the map of Cambodia. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2020 at 9:25 PM, BritManToo said:

I think Cambodia would be more fun on that amount.

If you were teaching English to the natives, Vietnam might be better.

Both countries very lax and easy going about cannabis now @ $10/half zip.

Ditto.  Cambodia in SE Asia.  Mexico in the Western Hemisphere.  Mexico has not gone "Covid crazy" so many places are running like before "new normal." 
"But it's dangerous." 
Yeah.  You pay your money and you take your chances.  Life doesn't come with guarantees.  However, living a little on the edge may actually be more like "living."  Especially nowadays.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:


You might want to check the map of Cambodia. 

 

I don't need to check anything, I am a regular there for years so your geography lesson is wasted.

 

If you are referring to Sihanoukville and Koh Kong, it is a not a nice part of Cambodia these days that has been ruined and overrun and you are out of place if you are not Chinese, and I said ' no beach places really ' I meant it had nothing really to boast about and compared to Thailand and Vietnam, it doesn't.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

 

I don't need to check anything, I am a regular there for years so your geography lesson is wasted.

 

If you are referring to Sihanoukville and Koh Kong, it is a not a nice part of Cambodia these days that has been ruined and overrun and you are out of place if you are not Chinese, and I said ' no beach places really ' I meant it had nothing really to boast about and compared to Thailand and Vietnam, it doesn't.


yeah but if i had to be a teacher in Cambodia then I rather be that in Sihanoukville then in dead boring Siem Reap. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:


yeah but if i had to be a teacher in Cambodia then I rather be that in Sihanoukville then in dead boring Siem Reap. 

 

OK,

 

Horses for courses but it is now basically run by lawless Chinese gangs and mafias with casinos on every corner.

 

Honest and down to earth Cambodians have moved out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, DBath said:

Have you thought about California? It’s not a country, but it kind of is. Weed is legal and you can pitch a tent in almost any city there - right on the sidewalk!! And a good tent will only run you about $400.

 

Might take you up on that, what's the vaccine roll out like there?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...