Borscht Recipe

Wow. Improvised on a recipe for my favourite Doukhabor dish because I wanted creamy borscht. Just made a pot in my rice cooker and IMHO, it is worthy of Tutsi's praise.

1 veg/beef/pork bouillion cube

5-6 med size beets

4-5 potatoes

1-2 carrots

1 small cabbage

1-2 stalks of celery or celery tops

1 white onion or a leek

small handful of frozen peas

some manao or lemon juice

leftover ham (optional)

butter

milk

sour cream

You'll need a pot, frypan, rice cooker, grater or chef-chopping abilities, and for puree, a blender (I don't have one, so it's chunky borscht).

Chop up beets and boil in pot. Let the water boil away and burn the beets (easy, just talk on the phone). Cool, peel and julienne the beets.

Half fill rice cooker with water, bring to boil and add stock cube.

Peel and cut up spuds and boil to soft in ricer. Remove spuds (leave water), mash with butter and cream, set aside.

Divebomb these items into the ricer:

Shredded carrots and juled beets. Let cook while you:

Dice onion and celery; fry in butter til clear. Chuck in ricer.

Shred cabbage and stirfry in butter til brown. Throw in ricer.

Add mashed potatoes to the mix and stir.

Chop up leftover ham and volley into the pot.

Cook for 15 min or so.

Taste.

Add some lime juice. (vinegar alternative) Stir.

Taste again.

I gave a short backhand of salt at this point, but very short.

Let cook down for awhile. When the taste is kissing St Peter's toe, add the peas and cook for another 15 mins.

Ladle into a bowl and add dollops of sour cream. Say grace and eat.

Baba! I'm in Pysanki Heaven!

If I had a blender, I would pulverize it all to make a creamy pure soup, but peasant that I am, I am satisfied with the chunky style. Still tastes fab. The mashed potatoes make it creamy and thick, and the peas just add the extra je ne sais qua factor.

This one's for you, Tutsi! :o

Wow. Improvised on a recipe for my favourite Doukhabor dish because I wanted creamy borscht. Just made a pot in my rice cooker and IMHO, it is worthy of Tutsi's praise.

1 veg/beef/pork bouillion cube

5-6 med size beets

4-5 potatoes

1-2 carrots

1 small cabbage

1-2 stalks of celery or celery tops

1 white onion or a leek

small handful of frozen peas

some manao or lemon juice

leftover ham (optional)

butter

milk

sour cream

You'll need a pot, frypan, rice cooker, grater or chef-chopping abilities, and for puree, a blender (I don't have one, so it's chunky borscht).

Chop up beets and boil in pot. Let the water boil away and burn the beets (easy, just talk on the phone). Cool, peel and julienne the beets.

Half fill rice cooker with water, bring to boil and add stock cube.

Peel and cut up spuds and boil to soft in ricer. Remove spuds (leave water), mash with butter and cream, set aside.

Divebomb these items into the ricer:

Shredded carrots and juled beets. Let cook while you:

Dice onion and celery; fry in butter til clear. Chuck in ricer.

Shred cabbage and stirfry in butter til brown. Throw in ricer.

Add mashed potatoes to the mix and stir.

Chop up leftover ham and volley into the pot.

Cook for 15 min or so.

Taste.

Add some lime juice. (vinegar alternative) Stir.

Taste again.

I gave a short backhand of salt at this point, but very short.

Let cook down for awhile. When the taste is kissing St Peter's toe, add the peas and cook for another 15 mins.

Ladle into a bowl and add dollops of sour cream. Say grace and eat.

Baba! I'm in Pysanki Heaven!

If I had a blender, I would pulverize it all to make a creamy pure soup, but peasant that I am, I am satisfied with the chunky style. Still tastes fab. The mashed potatoes make it creamy and thick, and the peas just add the extra je ne sais qua factor.

This one's for you, Tutsi! :o

thanx miz JG...right now I'm living in a camp and 'dining' in a mess hall/canteen. I've got rudimentary cooking facilities in my accommodation but I'll wait to get back to the ranch in Suphan to try it out...will probably haveta buy the beets an' sour cream in Saudi an' import to Thailand...

Jet, your recipe sounds exactly like how I was taught to make it when I was living in Ukraine. We didn't use peas, though, we used white beans. And we added some tomato paste to make it really red and thick.

Yummy! Perhaps not in this 40 degree weather, though, but will definitely get to it after being caught in one of the rainy season downpours :o

Cheers,

TT

Jet, your recipe sounds exactly like how I was taught to make it when I was living in Ukraine. We didn't use peas, though, we used white beans. And we added some tomato paste to make it really red and thick.

Yummy! Perhaps not in this 40 degree weather, though, but will definitely get to it after being caught in one of the rainy season downpours :D

Cheers,

TT

:o Ya, I am sure our Baba was Ukranian. Hey, it does get cold in rainy season so maybe a good warmer upper. Heard it's also good cold. Let us know how it goes, Too True. Hope you got sour cream.