Bangkok: Famous 5 star luxury hotel shuts and lays off staff

webfact

3 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

So another reason for only suspendeding is that they do not have to reimburse any outstanding fees.  I wonder how many weddings and functions had been scheduled and paid for already?

What makes you think that they wouldn't be refunded if required? People who have made those types of bookings are not employees and they all know that those functions cannot be held at the moment, by law.

Edited by Bob A Kneale
  • Like 1

It seems lots of people here

a) believe anything they read here

b) add their own, mostly negative, interpretation on top of that

If you have any questions just contact them:

[email protected]

[email protected]

I am a Grande Club member and they informed us all that the hotel is closed and they informed us when it will (likely) open again, etc.. It's all no secret. Just talk to them!

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately the Elitists are too arrogant and in love with themselves to admit they shagged the poich...Face saving extraordinaire with Oak Leaf clusters. In reality they did nothing as there was no pandemic here, just a few sniffles .

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:
55 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Or is the hotel using some loophole to avoid severance pay by saying their jobs will be available again in three months?

They could just be stating a fact and if it's covered by labour law, it's not a loophole, surely?

What they're saying is "We don't need you.  There's no guarantee we'll ever call you back.  But we're not terminating you so we don't have to pay severance you're entitled to.  And you can't look for another job or go back to your home town without giving up the severance you're entitled to, because if and when we call you back, we'll terminate you for cause if you don't show up on the day.  Then we don't owe you any severance.

It'll be interesting to see how the Labor Board takes that.  Usually, they do right by employees who get shafted.

BTW, I'd have been with the hotel 100% had they not added the part about "dereliction of duty"  That's just cold.

Edited by impulse

The Westin Grande Sukhumvit is one of my favorites in BKK. Great lounge , great pool.

One problem is you have to walk a mile and take 2 elevators to get to your room.

ALOFT Suk 11 has a pool also and there is more going on for eats nearby.

Bonvoy has multiple properties in BKK, makes sense to consolidate.

7 hours ago, pj123 said:

The report quotes the hotel as stating that staff "would receive no money". But under Thai employment law 

"Employees with more than 120 days, but less than one year employment are entitled to severance pay equal to one month's salary. If employed more than one year, but less than three years, employees are entitled to severance pay equal to three months' salary." (https://www.thaistartup.com/references/severance-pay-rules.php)

Or is the hotel using some loophole to avoid severance pay by saying their jobs will be available again in three months?

They are temporarily no longer required. I think that's the loophole. They are not Permanently Sacked.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, digger70 said:

They are temporarily no longer required. I think that's the loophole. They are not Permanently Sacked.

In the past, there have been cases where employers reduced the salaries of employees to make them quit.  That doesn't go over well at the Labor Board when it comes to severance.  In this case, they reduced the salary to zero...  I wonder how that will play out.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:
57 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

They could just be stating a fact and if it's covered by labour law, it's not a loophole, surely?

You are quoting me saying something I didn't write. I did NOT say that.

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

This is an emergency situation. It needs to be dealt with, and it needs a high degree of intelligence and competence. Not something Prayuth or Pipat possess.

Please come back Thaksin.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, impulse said:
21 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:
59 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

What they're saying is "We don't need you.  There's no guarantee we'll ever call you back.  But we're not terminating you so we don't have to pay severance you're entitled to.  And you can't look for another job or go back to your home town without giving up the severance you're entitled to, because if and when we call you back, we'll terminate you for cause if you don't show up on the day.  Then we don't owe you any severance.

It'll be interesting to see how the Labor Board takes that.  Usually, they do right by employees who get shafted.

BTW, I'd have been with the hotel 100% had they not added the part about "dereliction of duty"  That's just cold.

I did NOT write what I am quoted to have written.

8 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Oops, sorry, I quoted someone else from a comment of yours ("Yes") that you had quoted.  Now corrected.

Edited by Bob A Kneale
  • Like 1

So the staff ..

- get no salary

- get no compensation

- get no severance pay

- have no idea when or if things will return to normal

- but they have to be available to return to duty if things ever do return to normal, which could be a month, a year, or never.

Speechless!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pj123 said:

It is a painful lesson for Thailand to learn, however, a much needed one.

Thai arrogance all across the industries servicing tourists has reached an all-time high and service an all-time low.

Not to mention the continuous tourists scams year in and year out, double pricing etc.

It is time for Thailand to learn an important lesson about the value of tourists and why they should be taken care of.

It is a shame the hourly people, many who are thankful to have a job and do a good job, are caught up in this as well.

Many will be financially ruined.

As painful as this is, the longer it drags on, it will send a clear message to Thailand to value the tourists and make the experience top notch.

As others have said, many people across the globe have a loss of income, reduced income, increased expenses.

They will chose where to spend the holidays wisely and perhaps even closer to home.

Having lived in Thailand, I no longer see Thailand as an attractive option for a holiday when there are 1000 options closer to home with good value and service.

I am afraid Thailand has not see the end of this yet and financial ruin will be just around the corner.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:
41 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:
1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I've corrected mine, can you amend this one now please?  Thanks.

26 minutes ago, 2long said:

So the staff ..

- get no salary

- get no compensation

- get no severance pay

- but they have to be available to return to duty if things ever do return to normal, which could be a month, a year, or never.

Speechless!

don't be Speechless .... send them a donation

18 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Having lived in Thailand, I no longer see Thailand as an attractive option for a holiday when there are 1000 options closer to home with good value and service.

well go and let us know what happens

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, 2long said:

So the staff ..

- get no salary

- get no compensation

- get no severance pay

Speechless!

Im afraid your keep thinking your back home as this is the norm all over Thailand.

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Quantity over quality is never a good thing, unless you are selling one dollar items at a swap meet. It just lowers the quality of the experience for all. This is an emergency situation. It needs to be dealt with, and it needs a high degree of intelligence and competence. Not something Prayuth or Pipat possess. Someone else needs to handle this, and it needs to be handled yesterday!

The tourism industry is teetering on the edge of a tragic drop, and has already been devastated by this highly destructive administration. This could crush millions of families dependent on tourism. 

You know what they say about putting all of your eggs in one basket? I have been warning of the dangers of becoming too dependent on China for years. Now, after you have made your bed, you get to sleep in it. You have alienated all tourists but Indians and Chinese. Westerners are not coming here anymore for a dozen very good reasons. You insulted us. You demeaned us. You accused us of being evil, and you accused us of being criminals. You mounted campaigns touting us as bad for the nation. You demonstrated deplorable amounts of racism and xenophobia, and fear of the outside world. Some of your officials even went as far as saying we prefer to have tourists that look more like us! And now you want us to come back? Really? How soon you forget. Sorry, but they have not forgotten what was done and said. What they have forgotten is the Thailand, as a tourist destination. There are too many alternatives now, and they are not only trying harder, they actually have competent people in charge! Surprise!

Sorry to say, but the high spending tourists are lost for good. They WILL NOT come back to Thailand, for a dozen different reasons. And places like Pattaya, Phuket and Samui will continue to go downhill. So, the goons at the TAT continue to pursue ever higher numbers, regardless of the noxious air, unbelievable congestion on the roads, and woeful service at the airports, that this policy only exacerbates. But, will they return? Not like before. Not even close.

TAT shares your inputs, that's one of the reasons it's brushing for the PRC mass tourism  

43 minutes ago, Logosone said:

I'm well aware that Shangri La is full of Chinese, I go there now and then. You're referring to a few very rich Chinese only who obviously don't look at prices. I am not in retail or serving dim sum in hotels. I dealt with Chinese businessmen, who are extremely cheap, as indeed is the vast majority of the Chinese who are not super rich.

Of course most Chinese who come to Chiang Mai do not stay at Shangri La or Four Seasons. They stay in cheaper places.

Sure, not all live in 5* hotels, same as westerns. But they never stay in cheap hostels or dormitories like western tourists (also not all). 

Yes, Chinese businessmen are like Arab businessmen - you tell them your price and they are nearly dying and crying. That´s another business culture. But has nothing to do with tourists.  

9 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Quantity over quality is never a good thing, unless you are selling one dollar items at a swap meet. It just lowers the quality of the experience for all. This is an emergency situation. It needs to be dealt with, and it needs a high degree of intelligence and competence. Not something Prayuth or Pipat possess. Someone else needs to handle this, and it needs to be handled yesterday!

The tourism industry is teetering on the edge of a tragic drop, and has already been devastated by this highly destructive administration. This could crush millions of families dependent on tourism. 

You know what they say about putting all of your eggs in one basket? I have been warning of the dangers of becoming too dependent on China for years. Now, after you have made your bed, you get to sleep in it. You have alienated all tourists but Indians and Chinese. Westerners are not coming here anymore for a dozen very good reasons. You insulted us. You demeaned us. You accused us of being evil, and you accused us of being criminals. You mounted campaigns touting us as bad for the nation. You demonstrated deplorable amounts of racism and xenophobia, and fear of the outside world. Some of your officials even went as far as saying we prefer to have tourists that look more like us! And now you want us to come back? Really? How soon you forget. Sorry, but they have not forgotten what was done and said. What they have forgotten is the Thailand, as a tourist destination. There are too many alternatives now, and they are not only trying harder, they actually have competent people in charge! Surprise!

Sorry to say, but the high spending tourists are lost for good. They WILL NOT come back to Thailand, for a dozen different reasons. And places like Pattaya, Phuket and Samui will continue to go downhill. So, the goons at the TAT continue to pursue ever higher numbers, regardless of the noxious air, unbelievable congestion on the roads, and woeful service at the airports, that this policy only exacerbates. But, will they return? Not like before. Not even close.

Most of the Thai people I've met personally have great admiration for the USA and it's the dream of many young Thais to study and or work in the USA if they could.  Many of them learned English by listening to American songs and watching American movies.

I think the romance with China is led from the top down in this government.  That plus China is trying to do a big economic bear hug with every country around the world that will allow them in the door.

Personally I think more Americans would visit Thailand if they knew what it's actually like.  Many may think that because it's run by a military led coup government that it's the same as visiting Myanmar and perceived as a potentially volatile country. 

Americans have more money to spend here than the Chinese (and we wouldn't be coming here on the zero dollar plan.....it's not the American thing to do).  Up until the Wuhan virus America's economy was strong.  And soon enough we will have a strong economy again.

I just think the Thai government should make more of an effort target tourism by Americans.

• Like 2

A lot of valid comments on this post and a few a little off topic too, but I'll add my bit. I think Spidermike is spot on, along with a few others. I used to visit the particular hotel on this thread for a feed when in Bangkok and a good one it was. No-one is going to be travelling anywhere at any time, for a very long time (or they wouldn't all be parking-up their aircraft in Australian desert airports) and all because of C-19. Added to that, there are enough very credible Thai horror stories on the internet now to make a best-selling TV series that would run considerably longer than MASH ever did ! My Thai wife says she is never going back. (First time she's made real sense in over twenty years). She said she never wants to risk her life or that of her family ever again just by going outside and being asphyxiated by air pollution, or risking death or injury just by driving in to town. No more BIB b/s, no more visa runs - just lots of lovely clean air and safe food. She's a farang now, after seven years out of LOS. I'm not sure I like it, but she is. Thailand - the one I fell in love with over thirty years ago that is - sadly, is finished. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Do you believe everything you read somewhere?

I normally enjoy and or agree with your posts in general, but I find this particular question demeaning.

Really? Do you believe everything YOU!, read anywhere?