Social distancing? Forget it - BTS passengers packed in like sardines this morning

webfact

6 hours ago, carabaothai said:

it will be like this in every country I think

It's not just Thailand, i think it's everywhere in the world. Imagine if you are cooped up for two months, then suddenly freed.

What will happen is quite obvious.

Edited by EricTh

7 hours ago, petermik said:

When the first restrictions were announced here my reaction was...what about the BTS/MRT and public transport...absolutely blaady clueless the authorities here :sad:

I guess at some point social distancing becomes too costly, so the government had to make allowances for some people to go to work even though that risked more infection while other less fortunate people were shut down completely.

Whichever is the better strategy, the one Thailand chose seems to be working adequately enough.  My question is what needs to happen before all restrictions are lifted and things return to the way there were before Covid?  Or, might that never happen?  I think the government owes and explanation to the people on that point.

8 hours ago, Walker88 said:

While your points about the effects of the lockdowns on business and incomes are valid, the point about the virus may not be.

The 'incubation period' is a range of when one acquires the virus and symptoms appear. Could be the next day one gets sick, could be a fortnight. The critical and unusual thing about CV-19 is that unlike SARS and MERS, and even Ebola, CV-19 can be spread even by those showing no symptoms. One person could be the transmission point, because that one person could be in contact with dozens of people, who could then contact dozens more, etc. Lunar New Year travel coincided with the outbreak, which kind of equates to a Perfect Storm.

As for deaths after the lockdowns were enforced, as any of these articles show, the lockdowns are often violated intentionally or through circumstances like commuting. There are also false negatives on tests, as well as faulty tests, so some infected people were able to move about, allowed to cross a border, etc.. Then there is the presence of the virus on inanimate surfaces, which can survive anywhere from a few days to as long as 17 days, depending on the surface material, ambient temperature and humidity, and the efficiency of cleaning.

Masks, too, are only partially effective, even N95 masks. The virus is tiny. Here's a comparison:  the size of the virus relative to a minivan is the same as the minivan relative to the entire planet Earth. Thus any mask one can breathe through, especially a surgical mask, is not going to stop something so small.

I'd rather stick a mask in front of my face than a mini van.

I could blame more the people that yesterday got mad to buy alcohol, but i can't blame people that wanted to go to work, obviously no one even thought  to deploy extra trains ( if there are some available)...but i don't think that many would wait the next one....if nobody control the flow.

This is a big chaotic city....you can force me to be at home not after 10pm...but during the day...good luck.    

Meanwhile I noticed today having to write down my name and number, to enter a small Rimping supermarket in the closed HomePro building.
The most pointless and late measure if doing it this way, I am skipping all my groceries there until it stops.

18 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Some people think even having the mask hanging off their chin is offering them some protection.

People have to breath, do you really think noses were meant to be covered up?

20 hours ago, saakura said:

They could have called in experts from USA, UK, France, Italy etc to give good advise. These countries are so clued.

Sweden would have been a lot better. They actually seem to understand how to manage a corona type virus.  They have a lot now, but if there is a 'second wave', their's will be so much smaller.

Look the public are the same as sheep The government are the pigs and the only ones with an ounce of common sense are the dogs - Work starting times should have been pre-planned 6 a.m, 7, 8 , 9 and 10a.m Then only 20% travelling at same time and police taking scanned temperature and finding out where people are going and photo check to find the cheats - Cheats to be heavily fined - Yes it is draconian but this Covid kills Anyone noticed

Co-ordination and planning woud reduce the likelihood of a spike but now go to temple and prey for divine intervention

On 5/5/2020 at 12:47 PM, OnTheGround said:

Same time,

Pattaya & Jomtien beach closed, Pattaya plod continue to arrest people on the beach, and fine them up to 100,000 or 1 up to 1 year in jail.

Much easier to arrest a few people on a beach than a few hundred on a train.