Malls and department stores set to open on May 17th, suggests insider

webfact

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

If the Government has shut down access to Malls and such, then unless you have a rouge governor, or someone's on the take, the malls should be closed everywhere....just my 2 cents.  So tell me how your malls and stores can be opened when only a few places have been allowed to open.  I realize that Bangkok has been pretty strict but I believed Prayut and companies directives were for all of Thailand.....maybe I am just foolish in thinking like this.

I already told you in fact I clearly explained what they were doing in my original post. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Nicks3 said:

The mall here never actually closed but whenever we go to the mall we’re shuttled in the back way and they’re keeping the crowds reduced and not everything is open but we’ve bought two big expensive things at the mall in the last 6 weeks. It’s basically more like when is everything going to be 100% open again but the malls are open now. 

This is what they’re actually doing but I know it looks like a different story in the news ???? especially on here. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Nicks3 said:

I already told you in fact I clearly explained what they were doing in my original post. 

Yes, in the back door...so definitely someone's on the take and turning a blind eye.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yes, in the back door...so definitely someone's on the take and turning a blind eye.

Uhm no ???? they’re taking temperatures when you walk in and keeping the crowds small. I have 3 videos at the mall in the last 6 weeks. It’s not exactly business as usual but it’s still open. The mall never actually closed here. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, SpanishExpat said:

But 1 Person per table kills the whole atmosphere.

Agree it sucks. But I think it's just a process of getting back on their feet first. From 0 to 20kph. I am guessing we'll be down to 0 cases/day before June. Then all restrictions should go.

In Bangkok, the malls have been mostly closed. And by that, I don't mean most malls... I mean, at each mall, the main entrances tend to be closed and most of the regular shops inside the malls are closed. Whole upper floors are closed.

But certain "essential" areas and services/shops--often on the ground or basement level floors--are still allowed to operate within the basically closed mall -- supermarkets, pharmacies, takeout food, mostly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Nicks3 said:

I have 3 videos at the mall in the last 6 weeks. It’s not exactly business as usual but it’s still open. The mall never actually closed here.

Report from Century Mall near VM this evening:

Temperature check to go in. Everyone's masked so assume that's required.

Restaurants on the first floor all open for takeaway and delivery. Hordes of motosai guys sitting in front. Tops in the basement open as are some of the phone shops. Second floor pharmacies open. Banks? Don't recall.

3 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

With a two hour time limit and after two hours the tannoy calls your name to stop shopping, exit the mall or be fined 2000 baht...

'nit picking' again i see ..... 

8 minutes ago, steven100 said:

'nit picking' again i see ..... 

That's because it's absurd to even mention a 2 hour limit in a mall, there are zero benefits in helping to stop the spread by limiting to 2 hours. And judging by your profile photo you are probably government mole to spread propaganda.

The general consensus with medical experts is 10 to 15 minutes close contact with someone who is infected, so in that case your limit in any mall or shop should be less than 10 minutes. But the whole crisis is a joke anyway.

Edited by tribalfusion001

8 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Would this then be Phase 2 of soft openings and another test to see if we can behave ourselves when shopping in a bigger setting.  The Pharmacy I use only allows a person to enter when the Pharmacist has finished with their last customer, and there is social distancing tape placed on the sidewalk in front and a barrier limiting your distance to the counter and the pharmacist.  Payment is put into a container to your left and then the pharmacist pulls the container in, puts your order on the container tray with your change.  Lets see if this is the model for a mall....

There are 6 pharmacies in my neighborhood,and not one of those have the nonsense restrictions/routines you're mentioning. 

14 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

There are 6 pharmacies in my neighborhood,and not one of those have the nonsense restrictions/routines you're mentioning. 

Its just mine, as I have checked the others in my Area as well.  But i do like the social distancing aspect of it....I will go by tomorrow and take photos to post...This is a major pharmacy and not connected with any mall, it is just across from a hospital on Rama 4.  Additionally as I posted a little further down after my main post I stated this as well:  They also have a walk through sort of spray station you must walk through before you get a squirt of sanitizer on your hands and you enter the store.  OTT maybe just a little, but it sure made me feel that they not only had there safety in mind but yours as well...

Edited by ThailandRyan

23 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

there are zero benefits in helping to stop the spread by limiting to 2 hours ...But the whole crisis is a joke anyway.

It's math. Available floor space divided by requisite average distancing = number of customers in store. And to keep things moving, place time limits so that others can come into the store.

It's a reasonable measure while emerging from a pandemic. But yes it's inconvenient. For the moment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Well they are wearing gloves and pharmacist coats, with face shields as well, so who knows what they are doing.  I do know that their is a sort of spray station you walk through before you get a squirt of sanitizer on your hands and you enter the store.  OTT maybe just a little, but it sure made me feel that they not only had there safety in mind but yours as well...

Looks more like a big show for me same as at makro.
Choose a trolley > push it to a guy who sprays alcohol on the hand rail and cleanes hundreds of rails with the same cloth > after you touch the rail again with your hands.
But did you clean your hands ?

3 minutes ago, Geeyore said:

It's math. Available floor space divided by requisite average distancing = number of customers in store. And to keep things moving, place time limits so that others can come into the store.

It's a reasonable measure while emerging from a pandemic. But yes it's inconvenient. For the moment.

It's unenforceable which is the point. It's just another sound bite without any thinking or how to implement it.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Geez you post some rippers. So you have been to all 6 pharmacies in your area. That's serious meds you need.

Where I'm currently at, the pharmacy has exactly what the fella you quoted described. Prior to that the baht notes for payment were placed (by customer) into container of liquid. Some sort of disinfectant. 

Don't doubt various places will have their own rules. Just stop taking pot shots to have a feel good moment. 

Common theme

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

OMG give me a break. Thais and common sense is one thing, but the results speak for themselves?  You really believe those numbers were recorded even half as correctly like in the U.K. or US, Italy etc?

The US, UK lie about their number sure. So much.

1 hour ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

I have been in the U.K. since just before the lockdown, people (Brits) are very compliant. I live in central Bristol and it’s been a ghost city for months. Even Greggs has been shut down! Now tell me the UK hasn’t taken this virus seriously!

The UK hasn’t taken this virus seriously.

Worst in Europe. 45,000+ dead.

Still 3000+ new people get it everyday. And only care about money/re open everything. 

Will be 100,000 dead. No common sense. Selfish.

Thailand not 100 dead. Good job. Care each other.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1278264/Who-is-Neil-Ferguson-SAGE-members-resign-lockdown-rules

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/30/uk/prince-charles-coronavirus-isolation-gbr-intl/index.html

How many super spreader Boris give to? He shake everybody hand in a corona hospital. 

How many people he give it? And they give it to more people. How many? How many die because Boris joke and shake everyone hand when the doctor say not to shake hand?

i never see Boris wear the mask? 

He serious? Or not? 

FBDD32A5-3632-4864-B312-BA433B0D122C.jpeg

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Geez you post some rippers. So you have been to all 6 pharmacies in your area. That's serious meds you need.

Where I'm currently at, the pharmacy has exactly what the fella you quoted described. Prior to that the baht notes for payment were placed (by customer) into container of liquid. Some sort of disinfectant. 

Don't doubt various places will have their own rules. Just stop taking pot shots to have a feel good moment. 

Common theme

Same my pharmacy. One customer, line outside for social distance, alcohol gel outside, must wear the mask, pharmacy seller behind plastic screen. 

• Like 1

It looks like it's ready to open up all right.  

Of course what do I know, LOL.  I'm no pandemic expert.

The rates of infection are very low, and the um government is doing a "job" handling this.  

Let's see what happens now.  There aren't ten billion tourists running around of course so what kind of business model will these guys fall back on?  Wealth has been wiped out.  

Lots of questions, and probably lots of more thoughtful ones from others.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

It's unenforceable which is the point. It's just another sound bite without any thinking or how to implement it.

You will get a card with entry time. When you leave you show the card. 

Not difficult.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Blumpie said:

Of course what do I know, LOL.  I'm no pandemic expert.

You join a long & illustrious list of people! At least you admit it, most don't!

So many experts, so little common sense!

Note the poor and those most affected have no say in anything! ????

4 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

There aren't ten billion tourists running around of course so what kind of business model will these guys fall back on?

You make good point about number of folk here now. Take for example bars. If all bars were allowed to open tomorrow, I wonder how busy they would be. So many bars places like Pattaya, Bkk etc. I live Bangkok and wonder how the bars survive. Soi4 included. When I do go to catch up with someone often very few there. Put it this way, less that mall or 7/11.

First step could be open during certain hours. 

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You make good point about number of folk here now. Take for example bars. If all bars were allowed to open tomorrow, I wonder how busy they would be. So many bars places like Pattaya, Bkk etc. I live Bangkok and wonder how the bars survive. Soi4 included. When I do go to catch up with someone often very few there. Put it this way, less that mall or 7/11.

First step could be open during certain hours. 

Yes, I do agree, limited hours of operation to start with and ensure folks are able to work, but at the same time to be safe.  If all goes well then slowly increasing time and numbers allowed inside.  It might take awhile, but in the end everything that they have supposedly worked hard on keeping down, will possibly stay that way.  But of course some testing of areas throughout might also give them an indication upon the amount of people who either have had it, or are asymptomatic...

5 hours ago, onekoolguy said:

Well there is 3 new cases today, only 1 of which was in country the other 2 were from guys in quarantine on reentry of the country. So 68 million people have to be treated like children and told every move to make? So what happens when regular flu season happens in a few months?

Makes no sense? 

Stop the 10pm to 4am curfew and open the malls!  None of that is relevant or useful anymore. Thai hot climate has kept the infection rate very low, IT's PRETTY MUCH OVER here now, get the economy back to work, the 5000 baht Gov handout is a myth, so few actually got a single satang. A lot of you old farrangs have Stockholm syndrome and are hypnotized by Thai authorities no matter what crazy decisions they pull outa their butts. Thankfully the death tally was 54 last I saw, terrible YES, but compared to the rest of the world it's a great accomplishment. Move on now Prayut!

9 hours ago, BobBKK said:

Ridiculous OTT but Thais, being compliant, will love it

it rubs the lotion on its skin or it gets the hose. now it places the lotion in the basket.

Edited by mr mr
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yes, I do agree, limited hours of operation to start with and ensure folks are able to work, but at the same time to be safe.

A good example of what not to do is the recent removal of booze ban.

Been discussed in other threads. The gov did a light switch job on a long weekend after weeks of alcohol ban. Not to mention the Buddha holiday Tues. 

They could of made it booze only available home delivery. Or something similar.

It's not rocket science.

4 minutes ago, mr mr said:

it rubs the lotion on its skin or it gets the hose. now it places the lotion in the basket.

Oh how I loved the silence of the lambs....maybe one day we can also watch movies in a mall theatre again, maybe...