BTS implements strict measures to reduce risk of Covid-19

webfact

BTS implements strict measures to reduce risk of Covid-19

By The Nation

800_8208b1d5ca57977.jpg?v=1588825837

BTS has joined hands with Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) in implementing a slew of measures to contain the threat of Covid-19.

BTS has reorganised the stations during rush hours to ensure social distancing and rescheduled trains, as each train can now take only a quarter of the normal passenger numbers.

Surapong Laoha-Unya, chief executive officer of BTS Group, said that BTS Skytrain continued to be strict in enforcing public health measures. It has also increased the frequency of sanitisation inside the trains and the stations to prevent the spread of Covid-19.

BMA officials will help ensure that passengers at 17 main stations keep a safe distance during rush hours.

The new measures may result in many passengers missing their normal trains so BTS has requested the passengers to arrive earlier than usual.

In addition, to comply with the social distancing measures, BTS has brought all its 98 trains with four bogies for full passenger service starting May 7.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30387430

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-07

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The new measures may result in many passengers missing their normal trains so BTS has requested the passengers to arrive earlier than usual.

So, that's the new measure.

Come at 5.15 am (for the 1st train from the end of Sukh. line) and wait... because we won't schedule a train every 5 mns before 7 am.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Crossy said:

Indeed, it's always going to be a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. 

We are all going to have to adapt to the "new normal" whatever that turns out to be. If it means employers becoming flexible about working hours so their employees can travel at "less peak" times then so be it.

The 'new normal'....the entire world being inconvenienced so a few sick old men can live a few more years.  Not normal.

• Sad 2

18 hours ago, webfact said:

4am when the curfew ends?

I have said it here before and Taiwan's MRT System has not missed a beat and run regular trains each and every day since this all started.  Not only that but they didn't even require masks mandatory on trains until just "3.5 weeks ago" as there was a shortage of masks then.  Check out Taiwan's #'s and they know what they are doing...including today being their "25th" straight day with no local transmissions and 6 weeks with any case at all being imported which means all of them were already quarantined on arrival.  Other than social distancing in restaurants, nothing different here and business as usual.  

18 hours ago, webfact said:

In addition, to comply with the social distancing measures, BTS has brought all its 98 trains with four bogies for full passenger service starting May 7

If only Mr Kahn in the UK would get off his pedestal and do the same thing to reduce the spread.

Wow.  Four bogies--I guess that means train cars.  Four, count 'em!  Instead of the even more cramped three!  Any thought of maybe adding 2 more 'bogies' per train?   I still fondly remember my first time standing on the platform waiting for the train.  I had picked a spot to line up that was free of other people.  The train attendant came over and told me the train was only 3 cars long and I was standing far from where the last car would be.  Umm.  Why make the platform so long then???

They need longer trains anyway, when was that supposed to come?

Working from home should still be encouraged whenever possible, otherwise at least more flexible hours to better spread commuters.

22 hours ago, newnative said:

Wow.  Four bogies--I guess that means train cars.  Four, count 'em!  Instead of the even more cramped three!  Any thought of maybe adding 2 more 'bogies' per train?   I still fondly remember my first time standing on the platform waiting for the train.  I had picked a spot to line up that was free of other people.  The train attendant came over and told me the train was only 3 cars long and I was standing far from where the last car would be.  Umm. 

Fascinating anecdote, especially considering it's been around seven years since they last run three-car trains.

Why make the platform so long then???

Er.......so they can add more carriages in future?  Would have been pretty stupid to have built it with no possibility for future expansion.

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

Fascinating anecdote, especially considering it's been around seven years since they last run three-car trains.

Er.......so they can add more carriages in future?  Would have been pretty stupid to have built it with no possibility for future expansion.

My point exactly--they built the platforms for longer trains.  When the heck are they going to add carriages???  As old George Allen used to say, The future is now.  

The only way to handle this is to multiply the fares by two or three, at certain hours. Employers should then contribute so that essential staff get to work under acceptable conditions.