foreigners with Thai work permit stranded abroad

One of my collegues decided to visit his family in Italy and now can't come back. His WP and etension of stay has expeired so he will have to start from scratch. In addiiton he was told that he will need a COVID-free declaration, medical insurence for COVID (at a cost of around 30,000 THB) and undergo 14 day quarentine when he will be able to fly back to Thailand again, somewhere in the future.

9 hours ago, blackcab said:

For those people who think otherwise, I'll make this very clear:

Unless you are a Thai citizen, you will not be admitted into Thailand. You can have a Covid19 free certificate, a million dollar health insurance policy, a work permit, permanent residence, a Thai spouse and Thai children, and you are still not going to be admitted.

Entry is for Thai citizens only, and even then only on a pre-arranged repatriation flight. There is an exception if you can get personally approved by the Prime Minister, but you are going to have to be extremely, extremely well connected to get that.

Understand that the repatriation of Thai citizens is the government's number one priority, above all else. The government has publicly pledged to leave no Thai citizen behind.

There are limited state quarantine facilities in Thailand, and the number of repatriations of Thai citizens is being managed so that there are adequate quarantine facilities for Thai citizens when they land.

As a result of this you would have to be very special indeed to be placed ahead of the many, many Thai citizens who have registered to be repatriated and who are still waiting to have their repatriation flight to Thailand confirmed.

I absolutely agree.

thats why I’ve long said that the whole month of May is what I call “repatriation” month - exclusively for Thai nationals period...

i ALSO think that by June 1, most all of the Thais who do want to repatriate (here I’m talking about returning by air and not land borders) would have done so... as noted by @blackcab there is limited facility space to house all these returnees (note that it’s kind of like a treadmill in that not everyone enters nor exits on the same day.. they should have people leaving quarantine on a “rolling” daily basis - and for now, also have people entering as well).

IF there is no real backlog or demand for additional Thai reparations AND the people previously admitted into quarantine is either out of the 14-day cycle or there’s enough new space to accommodate, THEN I think we will see the government start allowing SELECTED foreigners back... with COVID/Fit-to-fly and insurance required, plus submitting to the 14-day quarantine at the foreigners expense. (Remember there was an article in the Post about the PM meeting with some bangkok area hotel operators about the hotels becoming part of the stare quarantine infrastructure- and their ability to earn revenue from it)

my guess is that it will start with Work Permit and SMART visa holders - as these are the two major classes of non-nationals who were granted earlier exemption before the total foreigner ban began.. 

Edited by new2here
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Preacher said:

One of my collegues decided to visit his family in Italy and now can't come back. His WP and etension of stay has expeired so he will have to start from scratch. In addiiton he was told that he will need a COVID-free declaration, medical insurence for COVID (at a cost of around 30,000 THB) and undergo 14 day quarentine when he will be able to fly back to Thailand again, somewhere in the future.

We'll have to wait and see about the entry requirements sometime in the future. At the moment nobody knows when and how flights and restrictions will be implemented.

Let me do some predictions.

March - international flights for low risk countries (except Italy, Iran, China, Korea)

April - no international flights coming in or out

May - incoming international flights for Thai citizens only

June - incoming international flights for low risk countries (China, Korea considered low risk now)

July  -  a few (not many) more countries will added to low risk countries list

Aug - ?? most countries in world??

So what I see is Thailand will only allow most countries to come in from August onwards. They are paranoid even with small number of cases.

Edited by EricTh
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, BritTim said:

Right now, only Thai nationals can return, and then only under repatriation agreed with the embassy. Short of a special exception granted by the Prime Minister, even permanent residents of Thailand cannot return. Maybe, there will be limited exceptions in the June/July time frame, but I would not count on it.

"...even permanent residents of Thailand cannot return."

Until recently this was the reverse. Can you please share where your comment above comes from. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Until recently this was the reverse. Can you please share where your comment above comes from.

Before they only could return if they had a work permit.

Permanent resident were not included in any of the notices.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Before they only could return if they had a work permit.

Permanent resident were not included in any of the notices.

Thanks Joe, I'm aware of that but there have been others reports that PR holders were accidentally not included in the various orders.

At one point I called CATT* and asked them. I was transferred to a pleasant senior lady, excellent English, she clearly confirmed that PR holders should have been included along with work permit holders. (*CATT Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand is the authoritative body which is responsible  issued such orders / rules in regard to flying matters.)

What are the requirements to fly back to Thailand ? I am working in Thailand for 18 yrs now as a missionary. and I am stranded here in Norway since this COVID -19 started. My Turkish Airline cancel my flight back two times already , and Im still waiting for another schedule .. Please advice. Thank you

• Like 1

23 hours ago, luk AJ said:

I think that a work permit is always connected to a visa, as she is already working and living in the country for the last 20 years it is an extension of stay obtained by the Thai immigration office. The question is how is she supposed to re-enter Thailand once air space is open knowing her WP will be expired at that time.

Correct has to be. Also she can enter when gov reopens. About a months time on visa exempt. They are finished Thais must open or perish.

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Tong Largado said:

What are the requirements to fly back to Thailand ?

You cannot fly to here at this time.

"THAILAND -- published 27.04.2020
Flights to Thailand are suspended.
- This does not apply to state or military aircraft, emergency landing, technical landing without disembarkation, humanitarian aid, medical, relief and repatriation flights. Passengers are subject to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival. Airline crew must observe self-quarantine during their stay until the next flight schedule."

Source: https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

Check that site for new info at the end of this month.

25 minutes ago, RayHaas said:

Do it by mail from abroad. You dont need to be there when HR is renewing the visa. Once done mail it back to sender.

A well connected agent might actually manage this. However, your passport will indicate that you are not currently in Thailand, and (officially) an extension of your permission to stay requires you to attend immigration in person.

EDIT: There would also be complications with the re-entry permit.

Edited by BritTim

50 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You cannot fly to here at this time.

"THAILAND -- published 27.04.2020
Flights to Thailand are suspended.
- This does not apply to state or military aircraft, emergency landing, technical landing without disembarkation, humanitarian aid, medical, relief and repatriation flights. Passengers are subject to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival. Airline crew must observe self-quarantine during their stay until the next flight schedule."

Source: https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

Check that site for new info at the end of this month.

Bearing in mind that the OP was asking specifically about the situation for his wife with a work permit so, notwithstanding flight availability, is all this officially published information incorrect, then?...

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/covid-19-information/

Ban on Entering Thailand: Under the Royal Thai Government’s emergency decree, foreigners are banned from entering the Kingdom of Thailand at all points with the exception of diplomats, cargo shipments, pilots, and foreigners with a work permit. This decree is in effect until at least May 31, and may be subject to an extension.

http://www.ilct.co.th/immigration-portal/

1). Entry by Air Travel

Eligible for: Exempt individuals/professions, logistic providers, aircraft/transport personnel, diplomats, state officials, foreigners with working permit and Thai citizen.

• Contact Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs or Thai Embassy before departure
  • Prepare the following documents
    • Medical certificate (fit-to-fly), valid for 72 hours from issuance
    • Thai Embassy verification certificate
    • Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs verification certificate
  • Temperature checks (under 37.3 °C)
  • On arrival in Thailand, download and register “AOT Airport Application”
  • Subject to mandatory 14 days state quarantine...

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand/entry-requirements

An Emergency Decree is in place until 31 May. All foreign nationals are barred from entering or transiting Thailand except in certain limited circumstances.

If you do not meet one of the following criteria you should not try to enter or transit Thailand:

• persons on diplomatic or consular mission, or under International Organisations, representatives of governments performing their duties in Thailand or other persons or international agencies that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs gives permissions, and their families. You must have a fit-to-fly health certificate (issued no more than 72 hours before travelling) and a Certificate of Entry issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. If suspected of carrying COVID-19, you may be denied entry into the country
  • non-Thai nationals with work permits...

Edited by Bob A Kneale

7 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Bearing in mind that the OP was asking specifically about the situation for his wife with a work permit so, notwithstanding flight availability, is all this officially published information incorrect, then?...

Ban on Entering Thailand: Under the Royal Thai Government’s emergency decree, foreigners are banned from entering the Kingdom of Thailand at all points with the exception of diplomats, cargo shipments, pilots, and foreigners with a work permit. This decree is in effect until at least May 31, and may be subject to an extension.

You got that by ignoring the line after it

"Suspension of Incoming Flights: The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) has extended its ban on incoming international flights until May 31."

Perhaps the best info is here. https://www.caat.or.th/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/CAAT-News-7-Extension-of-temporary-ban-on-all-international-flights-until-31-May-2020_1-1.pdf

For new info check here. https://www.caat.or.th/th/archives/49757

On 5/8/2020 at 2:17 PM, garygooner said:

Look at blackcabs comment again. When does her visa extension expire? If it's not for a while then she'll be able to return when there are flights. Her company will then have to apply for a new wp I believe. 

Work permits and visa extensions are usually expiring on the same day. 

19 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

...is all this officially published information incorrect, then?

Yes, all of that information is outdated. Please listen to the daily television broadcasts by the Thai CCSA for current information that is updated daily.

Firstly, there are no scheduled flights to Thailand. All passenger flights have been suspended. This means there is no way to enter the country. All land borders are also closed.

The only passenger flights that are being allowed back (other than state or military flights) are for the repatriation of Thai citizens. Such flights are pre-arranged by the embassy or consulate in the relevant country, and Thai citizens have to register with the embassy or consulate first.

For those that disbelieve the daily Thai government broadcasts and the IATA travel page, please try and book a flight to Thailand. When that fails, because there are no scheduled flights to Thailand, you can try to call your nearest Thai embassy or consulate and request a seat back to Thailand on the basis that you have a work permit.

Please let us know how you get on because there are a number of people who are in the same situation.

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

Work permits and visa extensions are usually expiring on the same day. 

Only those issued by the One Stop at Chamchuri Square expire the same day. For most people the expiration dates differ by one or two months.

On 5/8/2020 at 2:00 PM, luk AJ said:

I think that a work permit is always connected to a visa, as she is already working and living in the country for the last 20 years it is an extension of stay obtained by the Thai immigration office. The question is how is she supposed to re-enter Thailand once air space is open knowing her WP will be expired at that time.

Her wp has nothing to do with being able to enter or not. 

1 hour ago, RayHaas said:

Do it by mail from abroad. You dont need to be there when HR is renewing the visa. Once done mail it back to sender.

You need to be within Thailand to obtain an extension of stay. One of the documents you are required to submit is a copy of your current entry stamp.

As I mentioned earlier, it is worth the OP's human resources department contacting the One Stop service to see if any dispensations are being allowed.

1 hour ago, blackcab said:
1 hour ago, Bob A Kneale said:

...is all this officially published information incorrect, then?

Yes, all of that information is outdated. Please listen to the daily television broadcasts by the Thai CCSA for current information that is updated daily.

Firstly, there are no scheduled flights to Thailand. All passenger flights have been suspended. This means there is no way to enter the country. All land borders are also closed.

The only passenger flights that are being allowed back (other than state or military flights) are for the repatriation of Thai citizens. Such flights are pre-arranged by the embassy or consulate in the relevant country, and Thai citizens have to register with the embassy or consulate first.

For those that disbelieve the daily Thai government broadcasts and the IATA travel page, please try and book a flight to Thailand. When that fails, because there are no scheduled flights to Thailand, you can try to call your nearest Thai embassy or consulate and request a seat back to Thailand on the basis that you have a work permit.

Please let us know how you get on because there are a number of people who are in the same situation.

This was my question that you have responded to...

"Bearing in mind that the OP was asking specifically about the situation for his wife with a work permit so, notwithstanding flight availability, is all this officially published information [about exemptions to foreigners not being allowed in] incorrect, then?

I very clearly indicated that I was referring only to the WP aspect of the OP's thread, I was not commenting about flight availability into Thailand at the moment.

So, my question is, "are foreigners holding work permits still one of the exemptions to the ban on foreigners entering during the current restrictions?"  i.e., I know there are no flights but that doesn't alter the fact that foreigners with WP are allowed in, subject to quarantine etc. if they can get here.

4 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

So, my question is, "are foreigners holding work permits still one of the exemptions to the ban on foreigners entering during the current restrictions?"  i.e., I know there are no flights but that doesn't alter the fact that foreigners with WP are allowed in, subject to quarantine etc. if they can get here.

Even it they to get here they would be denied entry.

Read this on the CAAT website. https://www.caat.or.th/th/archives/49757

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You got that by ignoring the line after it

"Suspension of Incoming Flights: The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) has extended its ban on incoming international flights until May 31."

Perhaps the best info is here. https://www.caat.or.th/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/CAAT-News-7-Extension-of-temporary-ban-on-all-international-flights-until-31-May-2020_1-1.pdf

For new info check here. https://www.caat.or.th/th/archives/49757

You got that by ignoring my question. I wasn't asking about availability of flights.  As the OP had asked, I was asking also whether WP holders were technically still allowed into the country, i.e. are they still one of the exemptions to the ban on foreigners entering (they were, as the links confirmed)?

6 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

You got that by ignoring my question. I wasn't asking about availability of flights.  As the OP had asked, I was asking also whether WP holders were technically still allowed into the country, i.e. are they still one of the exemptions to the ban on foreigners entering (they were, as the links confirmed)?

All the info you posted was incorrect. Those old rules no longer exist.

I had already posted the IATA info and then the CAAT info in my post.

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Even it they to get here they would be denied entry.

Read this on the CAAT website. https://www.caat.or.th/th/archives/49757

I understand that the question is academic if flights aren't available but I was asking for confirmation that WP holders are exempted from the ban on entry for foreigners, that's all.  Your link does not state that those arriving, if they could get here, will necessarily be denied entry, particularly if the WP exemption for them still applies.

14 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Your link does not state that those arriving, if they could get here, will necessarily be denied entry, particularly if the WP exemption for them still applies.

It is the same for everybody it does not matter how you get to here.

I think they learned a lot during short period of time they were allowing a few people to enter the country.

I am certain that when the do start allowing more people into the country it will be with a 14 day quarantine.

• Like 2

I saw the news article somewhere ... she can return back to Thailand, but her company need to get a special permit letter from the relevant Thai government departments to support her return. 

3 minutes ago, macgver said:

I saw the news article somewhere ... she can return back to Thailand, but her company need to get a special permit letter from the relevant Thai government departments to support her return. 

That was before they stopped allowing passenger flights into the country. Now only Thai's can enter if on repatriation flights.

I understand that the question is academic if flights aren't available but I was asking for confirmation that WP holders are exempted from the ban on entry for foreigners, that's all.  Your link does not state that those arriving, if they could get here, will necessarily be denied entry, particularly if the WP exemption for them still applies.

Your question was answered in post 30 yesterday. People with work permits will be denied entry. The exemption for work permit holders has been rescinded. There are no ifs, buts or maybes.

The easiest way to verify this is to attend a land border entry point. Even if the adjoining country let you leave, which is improbable as they know that Thai border crossings are closed, you would still not be granted permission to enter Thailand.

Remember that the vast majority of all work permits are issued to citizens of Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar who live in neighbouring countries. These people cannot gain entry to Thailand at the minute.

18 hours ago, blackcab said:

For those people who think otherwise, I'll make this very clear:

Unless you are a Thai citizen, you will not be admitted into Thailand. You can have a Covid19 free certificate, a million dollar health insurance policy, a work permit, permanent residence, a Thai spouse and Thai children, and you are still not going to be admitted.

Entry is for Thai citizens only, and even then only on a pre-arranged repatriation flight or pre-arranged land border crossing. There is an exception if you can get personally approved by the Prime Minister, but you are going to have to be extremely, extremely well connected to get that.

Understand that the repatriation of Thai citizens is the government's number one priority, above all else. The government has publicly pledged to leave no Thai citizen behind.

There are limited state quarantine facilities in Thailand, and the number of repatriations of Thai citizens is being managed so that there are adequate quarantine facilities for Thai citizens when they land.

As a result of this you would have to be very special indeed to be placed ahead of the many, many Thai citizens who have registered to be repatriated and who are still waiting to have their repatriation to Thailand confirmed.

Agreed, my Thai neighbor's mom is 75 yo, and got stuck in Washington DC.  As of two weeks ago, he said it would be six months.  I would say they are somewhat connected, but not the red bull family or anything like that.

My delima as a us citizen is getting back in without a bunch of extra layers..just my usual re-entry permit.  I may get a ticket back for October, only because they are allowing changes, but that might be optimistic.

I'm not sure where to put this, so here seems as good a place as any.  Potential good news for work permit holders stranded overseas in the latest briefing.  There would now seem to be a mechanism in place to work out extensions of stay: 

From about 11 mins.

• Like 1