Surface mail is not available to Australia?

croftrobin

Surface mail is not available to Australia. I wonder why this is?

It is available to

UK
USA
Canada
and

some of Europe

Belgium
Denmark
Germany
Ireland
Italy
Netherlands
Norway
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland

strange how its an island not as far as some of the other destinations and there must be trade between the 2 countries

1 hour ago, Haveasay said:

Borders are closed and no air traffic. Ok

Rubbish, cargo planes are continue to fly almost everywhere including Australia as to why there is a problem with mail to OZ no body really knows but postal services have been severely disrupted to and from many destinations because many postal workers who handle them have been sent home...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, croftrobin said:

So the borders of Australia are closed, no imports there at all? No food or goods?

How come airmail from the UK is getting there?

International Air Cargo has been operating  without restriction for the duration of the covid crisis to most countries including Thailand. Connie Kalitta's outfit are operating 777s contracted to DHL are en route to SYD as we speak. My friends at NCA landed in BKK this morning, from Singapore. In fact air cargo is increasing  and passenger airlines are flying planes on a large scale with cargo only and no passengers. This is unprecedented in my career. If you want to send a letter forget Thailand Post and choose a courier company like DHL, FEDEX or UPS. "Simples".

Kalitta232.png

CKS232.png

CKSNippon Cargo 254.png

Screen Shot 2020.png

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Like 1

Thailand Post has never negotiated a surface mail treaty with Australia. They are not going to do it just for this crisis either. Unless there is enough continuing business to justify surface mail once this pandemic is over, they are not going to negotiate new treaties for a temporary problem.

Normal airmail/SAL services to Australia will resume once international passenger travel resumes on a regular basis between Australia and Thailand . And there have to be enough scheduled commercial passenger flights to accomodate the expected volume of mail that will be generated.

So expect mail to Australia to be suspended for a long time.

BTW: Cargo and charter flights do not count. Mail is delivered on regularly scheduled passenger airlines. Regularly scheduled and meeting all required security requirements are the key.

Edited by Monomial

23 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

International Air Cargo has been operating  without restriction for the duration of the covid crisis to most countries including Thailand. Connie Kalitta's outfit are operating 777s contracted to DHL are en route to SYD as we speak. My friends at NCA landed in BKK this morning, from Singapore. In fact air cargo is increasing  and passenger airlines are flying planes on a large scale with cargo only and no passengers. This is unprecedented in my career. If you want to send a letter forget Thailand Post and choose a courier company like DHL, FEDEX or UPS. "Simples".

Kalitta232.png

CKS232.png

CKSNippon Cargo 254.png

Screen Shot 2020.png

Are these flights being operated part 121 or part 135?

As I understand it, by treaty airmail has to be delivered by a part 121 carrier flight. Only courier services like FedEx/DHL can use 135.

I tried to send a letter from Thailand to Australia 6 weeks ago, that was when I found out the was no longer any postal service from Thailand to Australia. However, planes are still flying into and out of Australian airports, mostly import/export flights, plus charter flights, thousand of people have flown into the country over the past few weeks.

SURFACE mail to Oz? (as opposed to AIR mail?).

I don't suppose there's been much of that for decades. And parcels would usually go by air courier not surface mail.

(My household goods, including large library, came by ship over several weeks from Canberra/Sydney in 2017, if that's any help.)

5 hours ago, TSF said:

I tried to send a letter from Thailand to Australia 6 weeks ago, that was when I found out the was no longer any postal service from Thailand to Australia. However, planes are still flying into and out of Australian airports, mostly import/export flights, plus charter flights, thousand of people have flown into the country over the past few weeks.

I'm glad their are still some intelligent people who understand the difference between National

mail services like Thailand Post USPS, and the Royal Mail, and air cargo. 

The g/f tried to send a small parcel (.6 kgs) to me from Germany via DHL. Tracked it for a few days going nowhere, then it showed a message that they tried to deliver it and it failed - while it was still in Germany !

The next update said the parcel was at a local DHL office (closest one to where the g/f's place is) waiting to be picked up.

She went there to get the parcel and they told her that "airmail to Thailand was cancelled" and that she wouldn't get her money back because she hadn't paid "insurance" on the package ! That was about 10 days ago.
50 euros down the drain.